Archive for Monday, April 20, 2009

Person who fell from ladder flown to Kansas City hospital

One person was flown to a Kansas City hospital today after an apparent fall from a ladder in West Lawrence.

April 20, 2009, 3:57 p.m. Updated April 20, 2009, 5:34 p.m.

After suffering injuries in a fall from a ladder in west Lawrence, one person was flown to a Kansas City area hospital Monday afternoon.

Chief Mark Bradford, of Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical, said he did not believe the person’s injuries were life threatening.

Fire and medical workers responded about 3:30 p.m. to the medical emergency call at a residence in the 1600 block of Alvamar Drive.

Shortly after that, a LifeStar air ambulance transported the patient from near the intersection of Bob Billings Parkway and Kasold Drive, the dispatcher said at 3:50 p.m.

Further details including the patient’s name were unavailable Monday.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 11 months ago

LMH can't take care of a simple fall? Tragic.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

I didn't figure they choppered him to Ottawa!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

I was very windy today, that might have played a part in this. Anyway, I hope he is ok (is it sexist I am assuming it's a man)?

Outwest 5 years, 11 months ago

Keith, how do you know it was a simple fall? Do you have some firsthand knowledge the rest of us don't have?

appleaday 5 years, 11 months ago

Keith, in order to "take care" of a head injury a hospital has to have a level III trauma center and be able to do emergency neurosurgery if necessary. Anyone who hits their head in a fall or car accident can walk around and act normal even if they're not (remember the recent death of Natasha Richardson?) That is why some people are life-flighted out of here.

natas 5 years, 11 months ago

It is a level one trauma center not level three (KUMC, St. Lukes Plaza, Truman are the only Level one trauma centers in north eastern Kansas .. the only ones in Kansas/Mo). There are several reasons that this person needed to be flown to a trauma center, head injury, spinal injury, broken pelvis, broken neck, the list can go on and on. Lawrence is not big enough to have a level one trauma center, generally only teaching hospitals can afford to be level one. Anyway enough rambling. I hope that all is ok with the person that was injured.

50YearResident 5 years, 11 months ago

I am starting to get worried about the capeabilities of LMH! Seems like anything more than simple stiches gets transfered out. The heart treatment addition still can't treat more than anginia. With all the new construction when are we going to have a full service hospital?

maxcrabb 5 years, 11 months ago

...when the town is big enough to possibly need two hospitals?

appleaday 5 years, 11 months ago

You're right natas, it's level I. And it's not the building, 50 Year, it's the specialists. A neurosurgeon wouldn't have all that much to do in Lawrence, but is kept quite busy at a teaching hospital where people are transferred from surrounding hospitals. And LMH is an excellent community hospital and does a great job at the services it provides. Part of being excellent is knowing when to transfer a patient to another center. There are too many smaller hospitals that try to do everything and they wind up harming patients when they try to perform procedures that are beyond the capability of their staff.

Outwest 5 years, 11 months ago

Thank you Natas and Apple. It's obvious 50year doesn't have much knowledge of the hospital business after reading that post.

natas 5 years, 11 months ago

appleaday .. I just read my post ... sorry if I sounded kinda snooty ... I didn't mean to. You are 100% correct about LMH, they do a great job for as small as they are. 50yr even when you are in Kansas City, if you have a trauma ... almost any kind of trauma (like falling down a couple of stairs, minor car accident, ect..) hospitals like Shawnee Mission, Menorah, and others like them will not take that patient if being transported by EMS, if you walk in they will have you transferred to a level one or level two hospital depending on injuries ... and all of the the aforementioned hospitals are great ones ... they just wont deal with trauma .. and neither will LMH.

bigdave 5 years, 11 months ago

LMH is a excellent hospital, saved my life four months ago. Very nice staff and Doctors,

Soup2Nuts 5 years, 11 months ago

It's a good thing they also sent a honkin' biga$$ firetruck along with the ambulance, just in case the house was on fire in addition to the guy falling off the ladder.

natas 5 years, 11 months ago

Soup2Nuts .. there is generally a additional paramedic on the fire truck ... and the more hands the better when trying to package a trauma patient to be life flighted out of the area. There is also that whole thing of having the fire truck there to set up the landing zone for the helicopter.

Soup2Nuts 5 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't the extra hands just come in a Volkswagen?

Soup2Nuts 5 years, 11 months ago

BTW, isn't natas "satan' spelled backward? Kind of creepy.

natas 5 years, 11 months ago

Soup .. you gotta have water just in case the helicopter has an AAWWs**t moment. As for the name natas .. he was a skater I liked when I was a kid.

Soup2Nuts 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, except these firetrucks go with an ambulance on virtually every call. Do the firetrucks have to set up a trauma center on every call?

natas 5 years, 11 months ago

Better to have too many hands to keep busy in an emergency than not enough ... and if someone calls 911 it IS an emergency right? To be honest ... most of the time you need the extra help to move patients, if they (the engine crew) is not needed they are released. Also ... you don't want the big fire trucks just sitting in the stations doing nothing do you?

Soup2Nuts 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes Mr. natas satan, I would totally agree that it is better to have enough hands in an emergency than too little . If it's a medical emergency then send an ambulance or multiple ambulances which is the appropriate equipment. If it's a fire then send the fire trucks which is the appropriate equipment. Yes if they aren't fighting fires then I would want the gas guzzlers sitting in the stations doing nothing.

Raider 5 years, 11 months ago

Someone please explain to me why even the most minor of accidents in this town require a life flight to KC? It seems like every time we read of an accident of ANY kind, life threatening or not, they are flown to the city. Something sounds fishy about this. I don't think I would allow them to fly me to KC unless I was in some sort of critical condition and I was near death. Ridiculous.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 11 months ago

Raider - are medically trained in any way? No? Then perhaps you might want to let the professions assess your condition and care level needed.