Archive for Sunday, April 19, 2009

Police arrest man after incident outside Club Axis

April 19, 2009

Several arrested in weekend incidents of violence

Lawrence police had a busy weekend after multiple incidents all over town. Enlarge video

Lawrence Police arrested one man early Sunday morning after an incident involving a handgun at Club Axis, 821 Iowa.

The 22-year-old Fort Riley man was arrested for disorderly conduct and for carrying a firearm in or near a bar.

Police were called to the scene at 1:28 a.m., Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said. Officers made the arrest within several minutes of their arrival.

The incident began as a dispute inside the club between two groups of people. The suspect was ejected from the bar and headed to his car to retrieve a firearm. By the time he started back toward the bar, police apprehended him. The man was cooperative with police, Hadl said.

"Staff banned the suspect and his friends from the club," Hadl said. "They were alarmed and distressed by his behavior."

The group of people who were arguing with the suspect left the scene before police arrived, Hadl said.

When the bar closed, the crowd outside became unruly, leading to the citation of two women for disorderly conduct. During this time, bystanders hurled plastic bottles and trash at police, Hadl said. No officers were believed to be struck by objects or injured.

Piggles 6 years, 5 months ago

Ok ok when is it time to say this is enough and close this place down? This is getting to become a really bad place- I thought Lawrence "learned" it's lesson with the one downtown that finally got shut down. C'mon city people- get with it!

Dani Davey 6 years, 5 months ago

People with guns scare me. period. Anyone who goes to a nightclub with a gun in their car is only asking for trouble.

I will also never understand what kind of idiots think it is ok to throw things at police. Um, hello, that is called battery on an LEO and it is a Class A misdemeanor.

classclown 6 years, 5 months ago

It sure seems like there has been a hug uptick in violence and alcohol related incidents since the smoking ban has been enacted.

I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

Kris_H 6 years, 5 months ago

Not from Topeka or Kansas City? Hmm...

kawvalleybulldog 6 years, 5 months ago

BREAKING NEWS! An altercation ALMOST happened at a bar! crazy good story...not.

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 5 months ago

Anyone heading to their car for a gun doesn't bode well. They just going to wave it around or start shooting? Add some alcohol to the situation and I'm betting on the start shooting. Now we've got their patrons assaulting the police! Enough already! Close the place down.

Wondered when they mentioned throwing trash if they meant the patrons were throwing each other at the police? Seems like that's all they attract there.

Tim Quest 6 years, 5 months ago

Ah, the noble, classy enlisted men of the United States Army...

ksmax 6 years, 5 months ago

What happened to going and and having a few drinks and having a good time? Why do people have to get stupid when you add alcohol?

Stephen Roberts 6 years, 5 months ago

So something happended at Axis. Will the LJworld ever tell the race of the offender? If they are black or hispanic, are the people wanting to close the place down racists?

I am curious. I was told by a black Obama supporter that I was racist because I didn't vote for Obama even though I explained my position on the military and all of the entitlement programs that go way to far. She said she isn't racist even though she stated that she was voting for him because he is black. I am confused. Can someone please explain to me racism?

armyguy 6 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps I missed the part where the article says it was an enlisted man in the US Army, could you please let us know how you know this to be true? There are civilians and dependents of military living on Ft. Riley, I suspect more than enlisted people. In the military, being 22 years old is not a given to being enlisted. There are many 22 year old officers.

cabella 6 years, 5 months ago

When the toilet is full you flush it. Close this waste down for the sake of lawrence.

Victor Dawson 6 years, 5 months ago

I notice that I didn't see all these comments in regards to the Coyote or Burrito King incidents. I appreciate people keeping it classy and not on racial content or undertones as usual (ha)!!!

I still think we should shut everything down and further force the city to lose the opportunity to collect taxes!!! Then everyone can complain about Obama's socialist tactics are forcing you to pay more taxes.

Your Humble Servant, The Tax Man

greenworld 6 years, 5 months ago

They should have brought in about 20 more officers and arrested all of them that were throwing trash and other objects for disorderly conduct or public druckeness. The guy with the gun was one thing but to let bystanders try to stop the polilce from doing their job is BS.

somebodynew 6 years, 5 months ago

greenworld - while I agree with you, where are they supposed to find 20 more officers in the middle of the night?? Even if they had more on duty, they would have been busy at the other bars (see the story on Coyote's, Burrito King, or some of the others not named.)

yellowhouse 6 years, 5 months ago

Just Charge all the bar owners in town with money laundering in Federal Court!

That way they all have to shut down, and the police can turn the buildings into police substations!

greenworld 6 years, 5 months ago

hey obama said things would get better. I now know what he is talking about. He said he would add more police to the streets. HA...lets see I believe all i am seeing is more criminals. Welcome to Lawrence Ks, really makes you want to come here build a home and start a family. Seems like in the last two weeks I dont believe I have ever read so many reports of people with guns, knives or bats especially within the last 24 hrs. So either this happens on a regular basis and the JW is keeping it out of the papers or the JW is just now reporting it because its important news. I think what's happening is you closed last call down and the city got their wish but now they have a real problem, incidents happening all over town. God I hope you dont have a real problem were you need the police at 2 in the morning and their to busy dealing with all these thug incidents. Oh that's right the police probably have already thought about how their going to deal with that.

greenworld 6 years, 5 months ago

Yellowhouse- OMG you are still around. Where is all the people that were on here throwing the book at you and why arent they talking now. To scared or they starting to figure out that they were so quick to judge without knowing all the details. More than half of them were on here blowing about how you guys would be out of business and locked up about a year ago. So I guess from what I can tell you are still in business currently and not locked up, correct?

britt408 6 years, 5 months ago

Axis of evil.
Shut this place down. It's bringing the same crime that the Moon Bar did when it was there.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 5 months ago

"Dani (Anonymous) says… People with guns scare me. period."

You are an idiot if you are scared by objects. Period.

oldcat 6 years, 5 months ago

I think it was plainly stated, people with guns, not guns that scared him. I'm not afraid of guns, but I am afraid of the idiots who feel they must have them.

doc1 6 years, 5 months ago

hehehe. Let the Shooosting begin.... I love goooold.....

Summerguuurl007 6 years, 5 months ago

We need to open a bar next door called 'Allies.' Just like 60 years ago, the Allies will take care of the Axis and throw them out of town.

cds 6 years, 5 months ago

ocean (Anonymous) says…

enough handguns at this bar!

we have heard previous stories that within the bar there are up to five doormen with guns. why?

because one of the staff about 18 months ago told us that the customers carry large amounts of cash. think about it.

can you say 'drug deal venue'.

Don't know where you got your info from, but the security does not carry guns at Axis. I know 3 guys who work/have worked there. If anyone does I would bet the owner does. I'd be happy to ask and find out.

compmd 6 years, 5 months ago

1) Get the Lawrence police better equipped. 2) Let the Axis morons start shooting each other. 3) Commence police attack on Axis patrons. 4) ??? 5) Profit!

triplegoddess13 6 years, 5 months ago

LarryNative-Where are you going to get more officers to work the area after Axis closes at night? All the officers on duty are already out there doing their jobs at other bars and other parts of the city dealing with other stupid people and their problems. If there were 'left-over' officers that could be there to help out then they would be there. You don't say 'POOF' and get an officer to help out instantly.

greenworld-Actually, last weekend there wasn't a single shooting or knife fight in the city. If you plan on comparing weekends/weeks then at least pick two consecutive ones that had some action to them to blog about. And if you do need an officer at 2 am you will get one. LPD is good about re-arranging their patrol when they have to-which is often on the weekends.

jonas_opines 6 years, 5 months ago

"I thought Lawrence “learned” it's lesson with the one downtown that finally got shut down."

Clearly, we haven't. The lesson that should have been learned is that closing that place down did Absolutely Nothing, except perhaps spread the incidents out to different places in town.

armadilo 6 years, 5 months ago

With all this violence, it will soon start to affect future students decisions about attending KU. Once that starts and the university gets involved they will start cracking down. Everything revolves around what the university wants and what it wants will happen.

oldcat 6 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately too many future students decisions are made based on how much booze and how much partying is available. Quality of education is way down on these "potential students" list. The serious ones are who we need, not the party animals

Danimal 6 years, 5 months ago

gsxr600 6 years, 5 months ago

I believe there are only about 12-15 officers on duty at once in Lawrence. Maybe a few more on weekends but not enough to crackdown on Axis on top of all the other stabbings, drive-bys, and other muggings which have been occurring almost every weekend. Being a Lawrence native and a current student at KU I can tell you for sure Lawrence is becoming a dangerous place.

Tim Quest 6 years, 5 months ago

In all seriousness, if Lawrence had anything resembling a real city government, they would have taken steps to enact nuisance laws like many other cities have.

This is merely a byproduct of having a part-time city government made up of barbers and produce clerks. The city government is in way over its head.

Practicality 6 years, 5 months ago

Move club Axis to Eudora.

I am sure there are more incidents we don't hear about than those that we do. Shut it down. Don't open a replacement. Period.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 5 months ago

I think the "bystanders hurled plastic bottles and trash at police" gets the police attention more then anything else.

flyin_squirrel 6 years, 5 months ago

The real problem is our DA's office and LPD need to make these individuals feel unwelcome. Instead of slapping this guys hand for having a gun, throw the book at him! I know a town in Colorado where people are afraid to fight because they know everyone will end up in jail for the weekend. Why can't we get Lawrence to have a reputation of being hard on criminals, rather than hard on new businesses.

Better idea, how about we make our Planning Department find charges to throw at these guys. The Planning department seems to have no problem changing the meaning of codes to meet their desires...

4getabouit 6 years, 5 months ago

Commuter states: "So something happended at Axis. Will the LJworld ever tell the race of the offender?'.......... "Can someone please explain to me racism?"

No Commuter, we can't. It would hurt your head and cause further damage.

dweezil222 6 years, 5 months ago

If there's any truth to that statement, the city of Lawrence is walking a very dangerous line, one that's going to become litigiously expensive at some point.

flyin_squirrel 6 years, 5 months ago

You obviously haven't ever dealt with our City Planning Department. This is a well known problem with not only our Planning Department but also our Code Enforcement Division.

soldier1 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, at least the police were proactive and actually stopped anything else from happening. This guy does need to have the book thrown at him, especially if it is a soldier.