Archive for Sunday, April 19, 2009

Nearly 2,000 Westar customers lose power early Sunday

April 19, 2009, 2:42 a.m. Updated April 19, 2009, 5:45 a.m.

Westar Energy reported several power outages in west Lawrence early Sunday morning.

The areas affected, most near 6th Street and Kasold Drive, added up to 1,888 outages as of 2:36 a.m. Sunday.

Downed power lines were reported in the 4000 block of Overland Drive at about 2:30 a.m. At the time, the Lawrence area was receiving heavy rain but was not under any severe weather warnings or watches.

By 5:45 a.m., Westar had returned power to all of its Douglas County customers.

Comments

Hawk6643 5 years, 8 months ago

I live about two blocks west of 4000 Overland, power is still on here. Hmm.

DennisAnderson 5 years, 8 months ago

I live just a few blocks from there and my power has been out for an hour.

calieerin 5 years, 8 months ago

I just saw the sky turn sea blue and then yellow. Wow....still power here. Wak and 23

Tarrant 5 years, 8 months ago

I saw that also, calieerin. Was wondering if I was just seeing things or not. Kind of went from blue to green to orange and then yellow.

alm77 5 years, 8 months ago

Um, the 4000 block of Overland Drive has underground power lines... They're always "down"; they're supposed to be! Must have been on the corner?? I can't think of any place with overhead lines over here. But our power was out. Which meant all three kids crawled in bed with us. Not a great way to sleep.

yankeevet 5 years, 8 months ago

Good job Westar; power on quickly............

alm77 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree yankeevet, they are always quick to restore our electricity.

poolside 5 years, 8 months ago

I live at 5th and Eldridge and was awake at 2:30. It was a huge flash of white light and two large flashes of blue light all within seconds, as lightening hit the transformers. Many thanks to the Westar brave souls who repaired the lines even when there was still electricity in the air.