Archive for Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lawrence man arrested for aggravated assault outside night club

April 19, 2009, 5:04 a.m. Updated April 19, 2009, 8:45 p.m.

Several arrested in weekend incidents of violence

Lawrence police had a busy weekend after multiple incidents all over town. Enlarge video

A 20-year-old Lawrence man was arrested for aggravated assault early Sunday morning outside East 23rd Street Roadhouse, 1003 E. 23rd Street.

The incident resulted in no injuries.

The man became confrontational with bar staff after he was ejected from the club and escorted to his vehicle, Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said. The suspect retrieved a small aluminum baseball bat from his car and made verbal threats toward club staff. The staff then disarmed the man.

Comments

soldier1 5 years ago

so he pulled out a baseball bat, made threats, then the staff kicked his butt. funny.

fatheadff 5 years ago

He is still the owner. They put it in someone elses name to keep the IRS from coming in and taking the registers but yes he still ownes it. And no matter how much you polish it, its still a piece of poop.

Steve Jacob 5 years ago

Usually, you change the name of your bar because it's been in the news to much. Coyote's did not have "alot" of trouble, but they change the name and it make it the first weekend.

But I have to say, you get kicked out of a bar. You A) swallow your pride and sleep in your own bed, or B) act like a tough guy and share a cell with other drunkin' idiots. Not a tough decision when your sober, but at three in the morning it must be a tough call.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

when baseball bats are outlawed, then only outlaws will have baseball bats!

suppose this customer was an agro-american [formerly called "redneck?"]

you take a walk, and you and your dog both take a piss on the same tree ... you might be a redneck.
the house you live in is mobile, but the cars in the front yard arent, you might just be a redneck.
courtesy of Jeff Foxworthy.

compmd 5 years ago

Just make it so you can only carry a concealed baseball bat with a permit after you have 8 hours of training with it.

Centurion 5 years ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says…

Ban assault baseball bats!

Bats don't assault people ..... People do! :D

independent_rebel 5 years ago

Alm77, I was talking out Coyote's on East 23rd, not Last Call. Steffes owns/owned both bars. Thankfully Last Call had it's Last Call. I was just curious about the Coyote's location because of the name change to Roadhouse and DJ music in addition to country music. I am curious as to if Steffes is trying to lure his KC/Topeka thugs over to Roadhouse.

I have been to The Barrell House and enjoyed it.

Danimal 5 years ago

Bars have to stop serving at 2AM, and then have the fun task of herding everyone out the door. Some of these people don't like it and they get upset. I think that anyone that owns an 18 and up establishment is asking for trouble.

Nikki May 5 years ago

It's not coyotes according to the sign. But, I thought bars closed at 2. I'm so out of the bar loop I guess.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years ago

"Marion (Marion Lynn) says… Ban assault baseball bats!"

When will we learn that assault baseball bats have only one purpose: hitting people.

alm77 5 years ago

indy, that new place is called "The Barrell House" and it's a piano bar. The furthest thing from Last Call anyone could imagine. It's classy, it's beautiful and it's fun! You should try it sometime.

greenworld 5 years ago

Move the age to get in to 21 and then you can deal with mature adults. Young kids have to act tough and protect their ego with their pea sized head. Also I dont believe it's called Coyotes anymore.

drugcompton 5 years ago

monkey-are my posts showing up?

lawthing 5 years ago

Take away their balls and they will be rendered useless!

monkeywrench1969 5 years ago

Qee.
“Police received the call at 2:55 a.m. and arrived on scene shortly thereafter, preventing any potential violence, Hadl said.”

Assault mean they threatened and waved it at people without touching the people. Battery means they touched the people hard with said bat.

So it is possible they did prevent potentially worse violence by stopping the bad guy. Nick picking aren't we... got a ticket recently and thought maybe they should have been stopping someone committing real crime...maybe like this guy.

Mackadoo 5 years ago

I think you're right, dandelion. Seems that the LJ World in the past would only report club altercations when it involved KU athletes. Since we haven't had many incidents of that type in a while, they now have to report on the commoners. :)

independent_rebel 5 years ago

Out at Coyote's? Is that club still owned by Dennis Steffes (who also owned Last Call). When I drove by that place on Thursday I saw a sign promoting a new club was there or is going in there--"Roadhouse" I believe was the name.

If Steffes is indeed the owner it appears he is finally opening up and promoting one of his clubs as a slaughterhouse (I'm sure the movie "Roadhouse" is a gulity pleasure for most of you reading this) rather than deny the fact his clubs attract problem customers.

dandelion 5 years ago

I"m wondering if in the past, the LJW just didn't report on these incidents, but they are now. Someone should check past police reports to see if there is an increase, or if this has been business as usual for them, but it never made the paper.

John Kyle 5 years ago

"Police received the call at 2:55 a.m. and arrived on scene shortly thereafter, preventing any potential violence, Hadl said."

There already was potential violence...I don't think they prevented it.

kawvalleybulldog 5 years ago

BREAKING NEWS - Gasp! an altercation at a bar! No way!- great coverage of an interesting story.....not.

redmoonrising 5 years ago

Second article I've read and so far one gunshot, one baseball bat. Can't wait to get to the rest of the news. Ah, Lawrence, the sound of swinging bats, swooshing knives and gunshots in the morning! I was awake, disappointed that all I heard around 2-3 AM was some thunder. And to think that we used to have to watch old movies to see stuff like this. Now we can save the cost of the tickets and go out for early morning drives.

drugcompton 5 years ago

where is this place? because the address matches a bar called"23rd st.roadhouse"

yankeevet 5 years ago

another pirate...........

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

I heard the ping all the way out here! Neighbors have been around with a petition to stop you all from owning aluminiums [sic, aka Mr. Denny/Alan Wiseman] already this morning before they head for church. They are all up in arms, they thought is was some new tornado alarm system Obama had secretly slipped into one his power happy executive orders,

Kris_H 5 years ago

Not from Topeka or Kansas City? Wow...::rolleyes::

drugcompton 5 years ago

Ban Marion Sidney Lynn!

Keith 5 years ago

The Hawk doesn't have a monopoly on underage drinkers?

Marion Lynn 5 years ago

Ban assault baseball bats!