Archive for Friday, April 17, 2009

Sebelius signs legislation to make it easier for police to track cell phone signals

April 17, 2009

— Gov. Kathleen Sebelius has signed a bill making it easier for police to get tracking information from cell phone companies in emergencies.

The bill signed Friday requires cell phone companies to release caller location information promptly to police when asked. Cell phone signals, known as pings, can be used to track a phone’s location.

The new law, which takes effect July 1, was inspired by the 2007 kidnapping and slaying of 18-year-old Kelsey Smith, of Overland Park.

Her parents, Greg and Missey Smith, have pointed to a delay in getting their daughter’s cell phone provider to cooperate with police. However, the couple doesn’t believe that quicker release of the information would have saved their daughter’s life.

Comments

chzypoof1 4 years, 12 months ago

The true ignorance is using the "I'm not a criminal, so I shouldn't worry" thought process. You are the typical American that is alowing the govt to take away your freedoms from you a little bit at a time.

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong. For my kids' sake, i hope the govt is only looking out for my best interests. But I don't think that's the case....

poof

Ray Parker 4 years, 12 months ago

Let's remember that Verizon Wireless's refusal to cooperate with a kidnap/rape/murder investigation left surviving family members and searchers in a horrible situation while the young victim's body lay out in a field for 4 days instead of 45 minutes, and meanwhile a violent perverted killer roamed free to menace our community and possibly kill again. Seems like Verizon should pay more of a price than bad publicity and a new legal restriction.

autie 4 years, 12 months ago

since my phone went through the wash this morning and somehow I don't think it is pinging anything. I better just stay in the house today.

madmike 4 years, 12 months ago

I have news for you. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T have always been more than cooperative to law enforcement, especially in an emergency. There is only one cell phone company that goes out of its way to obstruct law enforcement.

Potawatomi 5 years ago

That's ignorant chizzy.. Don't buy a cell phone if you are worried about it. What are you a criminal? Hiding? How about if you slide off into a deep ditch with your car for a few days where nobody can see you trapped and the only thing that the cell phone companies finally release, 3 days later, triangulates your phone signal position from your hypothermic near dead a$$ in the ditch to save your life? I think it's worth it. GPS all the way. Join the ride.

chzypoof1 5 years ago

A perfect example of our "elected officials" using a tragic event to chip away out or civil liberties......