Archive for Tuesday, April 14, 2009

KU’s Lew Perkins in line for extra $750,000 in retention bonus

KU Athletics Director Lew Perkins might receive an early Christmas bonus. Tuesday night, KU officials say they increased a retention payment in his contract by $750,000.

April 14, 2009

Related document

Lew Perkins' retention agreement ( .PDF )

Related document

Lew Perkins' employment agreement ( .PDF )

Kansas University’s athletics director could be in line for $750,000 more this summer than originally planned in his contract.

KU added the amount to a retention payment due to Lew Perkins this summer after he declined efforts made by another university in June 2006 to recruit him as its athletic director, said Lynn Bretz, a KU spokeswoman.

That university had notified both KU and Perkins that it was interested in recruiting him away, Bretz said Tuesday.

That brings the total amount of the payment from the original $1.3 million to $2.05 million, after taxes. That’s about a 58 percent increase from the original.

Perkins will earn the payment if he remains with KU through June 30 of this year. The money would be payable by Aug. 1.

The bonus rewards Perkins for remaining with KU for six years, and is being paid with nonstate funds from Kansas Athletics.

Bretz said the action to increase the amount of the payment came at the recommendation of Chancellor Robert Hemenway and was not triggered by any specific clause in the original contract.

Neither the university nor Kansas Athletics officials would identify the university that recruited Perkins. But in June 2006, Perkins confirmed he was contacted by University of Iowa officials about the athletic director’s job there.

Perkins, an Iowa graduate, said at the time: “Obviously, the University of Iowa is dear to my heart. I evaluated it. I took emotions out of it. This is where I want to be.”

The original clause in Perkins’ contract was included as a reflection of the university’s desire that he remain as athletic director for at least six years, Bretz said.

In that time, she said, Kansas Athletics has experienced financial success, including increased donations to the Williams Educational Fund from $5 million in 2003 to $13 million in 2009. Also, between 2004 and 2008, Kansas Athletics completed about $63 million in renovation and construction of athletics facilities, all done with revenue outside of state funds.

Comments

skinny 5 years, 8 months ago

Lew is the MAN!

Money well spent. Good Job Lew!

Skinny

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Lew took emotions out of it and wants to be at KU rather than Iowa, which is "dear to my heart." In other words, he likes Iowa, but he is staying at a place that isn't dear to his heart because he prefers the money.

A huge raise and millions in annual compensation, and yet how many people are losing jobs at KU this year? Sports once again trumps education: Brilliant.

LiberalDude 5 years, 8 months ago

Even though this is a ridiculous amount of money, I agree with skinny that Lew Perkins has been worth every cent!

Has there ever been a better 3 year period of KU athletics? Thanks Lew and keep it up!

anonmouse 5 years, 8 months ago

From the article:

"Also, between 2004 and 2008, Kansas Athletics completed about $63 million in renovation and construction of athletics facilities, all done with revenue outside of state funds."

Can this statement be expanded to either i) detail the facilities being referenced, ii) clarify the meaning of 'state funds', or iii) acknowledge the contribution of students, via the compulsory athletics fee, in the construction of the boathouse?

The athletics fee was described by the same reporter in a recent story: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/apr...

"Hardouin said $15 of the athletics fee went to help construct a new boathouse, and $20 went to help keep the costs of student tickets low."

The lack of detail is confusing at best and misleading at worst.

Thank you.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

OK, I am not a $ig Lew lover, but try to be fair. He has done a whole lot for KU Athletics and is the reason for their successful year in the money department. I would have NO problem with him receiving the bonus that was built into his contract.

BUT, to add to that bonus, and not add an extension - well, I am sorry, but I have a problem with that. Basically he can take the extra money and still run as long as he stays for the terms of his contract.

Why are there even contracts is sports anymore?? Everybody just walks away (or gets paid extra) when they want. The ONLY people who get hurt is the actual athlete who gets penalized if his/her coach decides to bolt and go elsewhere. The athlete then has to sit out if they change schools, or try to survive under a new system.

Somebody needs to post a NEW defination of "contract".

cowboy 5 years, 8 months ago

Lews only accomplishment in my eyes is finagaling us into the Orange bowl. He didn't hire Self or Mangino but loves to take credit for it. Oh yes he gave us Kivisto Field , WTF is up with that , the guy is broke now isn't he. I for one am tired of Lew taking credit for the hard work of the coaches and athletes , not to mention taking a hel! of a lot of money home for himself and the Conneticut Mafia he brought with him.

guesswho 5 years, 8 months ago

anonmouse - have you walked by Memorial Stadium and seen the new buildings and practice fields? Did you know about the Anderson Strength Training facility that they did a few years ago. I think they upgraded the baseball stadium, also. Student fees comprise a very small part of the athletic budget; the point is that 'taxpayer money' was not used for these.

Godot 5 years, 8 months ago

No government employee is worth that kind of money. Let him go.

anonmouse 5 years, 8 months ago

guesswho-

I have walked by Memorial Stadium to see the new football facilities, and I do know about the strength training center, and have been to the upgraded baseball stadium.

Unless this is supposed to be a complete accounting of the facilities referenced, it's also irrelevant. I wasn't disputing that significant facility improvements have been made. My comment was that the original quote was ambiguous to the point of being misleading, and I was requesting the reporter correct or clarify the story.

Regarding your suggestion that "the point is that 'taxpayer money' was not used for these": that's perfectly reasonable, but if it is the case, then the statement should be clarified and updated. Certainly student fees are 'state money', since they're collected by the university and apparently turned over to the athletics department. The LJWorld has an opportunity (and responsibility) to clarify this point.

Finally, as to your suggestion that student fees 'comprise a very small part of the athletic budget': this may or may not be true, as 'very small' is a qualitative statement. Nevertheless, the quote from the article was an absolute 'all', which, assuming the boathouse is included in the facilities referenced, and that 'state money' includes student fees, is patently untrue. Hence, the need for clarification.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 8 months ago

Lew's salary isn't paid by the state, but as an official of the Univeristy it is reportable to the state. Athletic Director is an official position with the University, which is why Lew's salary shows up in the database but no other athletics department staff appear.

The KC Star database is purely a reflection of KU's accounting system. As an official of the University, Perkins's paycheck is processed by that accounting system. However, none of the dollars used to fund that paycheck come from the state.

As for the bonus, the man is paying himself $750,000 that he bust his butt to raise. I consider it a relatively puny commission.

password 5 years, 8 months ago

maybe now he can afford to eat at the future concession stands that are soon coming.

guesswho 5 years, 8 months ago

anonmous- touche; you are right - there are ambiguities in the reporting.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Only a fool would say 'noone is worth x amount of money'. People are exactly worth what they get paid. Someone's payin' it, so......... Not a single one of the jackasses on here that rail against Lew makin' this money would turn it down or give it away. Please, feel free to disagree and prove you're a liar as well. Lew may be the best at what he does; look at UConn. They had virtually no athletic dept. before he got there. And KU has thrived since his hire and will continue to do so.
And to the other idiot that believes that education at KU is diminished in some way because of this, as if the money being paid to Lew would have actually kept whomever lost their job on the rolls, simply proves her supposed education was a solid waste of money. Again.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

jaywalker: "jackasses ... liars ... idiot" -- glad to see some people never change. Disagree with him, and the ad hominem attacks come flying. A true sign of intelligence there, jay.

Just so you know jayboy, I was simply making a point of recognizing the university's priorities. Thanks for trying to keep up, but perhaps you should just stay in the shallow end after all.

4getabouit 5 years, 8 months ago

Good for you Lew. Congrats...you continue to get the job done.

Budgets_Smudgets 5 years, 8 months ago

Thank you LJW for publishing links to the actual agreements.

With the web, you have an important role in making information public, even though this information is too extensive to be published by traditional print paper methods.

ahyland 5 years, 8 months ago

Hello, everyone.

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify a few things in light of a few comments here. To anonmouse and guesswho, I did mean that these facility renovations were done without state-appropriated dollars for higher education, or so-called "taxpayer dollars."

There is a relatively small student fee component to these facility renovations -- the $15 student fee generates about $750,000 annually, for comparison's sake, and is a small component of the $63 million listed here. I don't recall exactly at the moment when that fee is scheduled to end. I see the question as to whether these are "state funds" or not, but I see them in a different category for sure than state general fund budget dollars, since they're not paid by the general taxpayer.

I certainly hope this clarifies any confusion, and thanks to all for reading.

Andy Hyland ahyland@ljworld.com 785-832-6388

Hoots 5 years, 8 months ago

I am continually or should I say perpetually AMAZED at what we spend on a game yet spend little on what makes a true impact in our lives. I keep thinking sports money can't get any crazier and it keeps on climbing. You know what? I do like to watch a KU B-Ball game now and then. You know what else. I have been a player in many of the kinds of games we all watch but as someone who played them I find being a spectator boring. I prefer to get out and do the things I find interesting and rewarding. I wish more Americans would do the same. We'd be a healthier nation for it. Don't pay to watch someone else do it but do it yourself. Who knows you might lose a few pounds and find you enjoy being outside and competing with yourself. You might even find a way to bond with your loved ones. There is some sense of accomplishment that comes from the act itself rather than just being in the stands. It's kind of funny how we pay other people so much only to live vicariously through them when we could be them but maybe not as mighty. In a word I find it a little sad. Maybe our economy would be a little better too if we had spent more than a bit more on science and math and more than a little less on sports. The world isn’t paying us to watch football and basketball...now are they.

anonmouse 5 years, 8 months ago

Andy-

Thanks for your response and clarification. Can I assume that you'll be updating the text of the article to incorporate your clarifications on the web version (since they are buried ~ 25 comments deep), and issuing a correction or clarification in the print version?

Once again, thanks.

anonmouse 5 years, 8 months ago

Andy-

One additional thing: according to a Kansan article published in February (http://www.kansan.com/stories/2009/feb/27/boathouse/), the fee is set to expire in 2011. Moreover, the article states that:

"Although the $6 million boathouse is complete, the $15 per semester student fee will not expire until the fall of 2011. The fee is reimbursing the Athletics Department for the expense."

Your statement that the student's $750,000 annual contribution is a 'small component of the $63 million listed' may be accurate (depending on your view of 'small'), but it amounts nearly 10% when taken in aggregate.

KS 5 years, 8 months ago

Watch out Lew. BHO will want to tax your bonus 90%.

overthemoon 5 years, 8 months ago

It would be a very good thing if Mr. Perkins acknowledged this bonus and then asked that it be used to continue to provide discounted tickets to faculty and staff who have been KU supporters since way before he ever thought of coming to Kansas.

Double 5 years, 8 months ago

I think Lew Perkins has done a great job with the Athletic Department but I wish there was a way that part of that money could be given to the university. My husband is one of the many people at KU losing his job. That money would come in very handy with helping keep people's jobs as well as for classroom materials.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

Poor Lew Perkins is going to pay more income tax (on the bonus alone) than my gross income. Sorry Lew.... Not everone can be like me.

compmd 5 years, 8 months ago

Gee golly, I'd love to work somewhere that surprised me with a bonus check for $750,000 just for doing my freakin' job.

Keep massively funding sports and shafting education. Support the idiocracy!

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

"I was simply making a point of recognizing the university's priorities"

Um, no, you weren't. You were being your usual 'hater' self, stoked by the recent 'hate the rich' movement.

"That money would come in very handy with helping keep people's jobs as well as for classroom materials."

Sorry to hear about your husband, Double, but 'that money' does not come from the same pool as the ed. dept., and if it weren't already part of a contract provision for Lew's accomplishments would never find its way to classroom materials or helping someone keep a job.

"rage"

Yes, by all means, feel free to get angry because someone else is earning money. Oh, the humanity! Too many on here need to get a life. Too late for you, though, bea.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

"Disagree with him, and the ad hominem attacks come flying"

Right. Because that's not your stock in trade at all, bea. Shall we review your posts and count how often you don't reference the article but just go after a poster? You're the leader of the pack in that arena.

As for 'true signs of intelligence', bea, I know enough to know I know little, but I'm more than confident going head to head with the likes of you. Any time, anywhere......I'll run circles around your pea-brained intellect. So sorry if that hurts, but you know that's actually what's 'true'.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

No, no, Bob. They must hate the rich. They must believe that anyone making a substantial sum of money should dole it out to those less fortunate, successful, intelligent, driven, etc.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 8 months ago

"If Lew truly cared about the University, he would give this money back, and demand that it be used to help pay for some truly worthy recipients, like maybe professors and classroom materials."

As I'm sure you did with your last paycheck. Lew is the #1 AD in the nation. What is the #1 CEO making? The #1 pro athlete making? The #1 actor making? They all make more than Perkins. Do you hate them for not giving their money to someone "more deserving"?

disgustedagain 5 years, 8 months ago

Unbelievable. Massive cuts to KU and it's considered acceptable to pay a sports person (EXTRAcurricular activity only) 2 million a year. Non-state funds that could be used to prop up academic departments and/or facilities that are struggling to make do in this era of education cuts. No wonder American stats in literacy and math competence--as compared to other countries--are plummeting.

yellowhouse 5 years, 8 months ago

for $750K I would be willing to stay in Lawrence one more year!

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

"No wonder American stats in literacy and math competence—as compared to other countries—are plummeting."

Yes, because Lew Perkins made money. Nail on the head.

"If Perkins wanted to do the right thing, he would turn down the increase."

Absolutely, 'cuz everyone's doing just that. What? You're gonna give me money I earned? NO, no, no!

"He would realize that we are in a national downturn ..."

I'm certain he's oblivious to the current economic situation, great point.

"and that his pay increase could be used to fund the Douglas County Health Department"

Unbelievable. First, it's not a pay increase, is it? It's a bonus, something written into his contract the day he was hired. Second, as I've said before, NObody stating such tripe would respond in kind. You win the lottery tomorrow ya gonna give it all to the DCHD? Nope, and that's free money, not something you've earned by working your rear off to get to such a position. So, so very sad.

EarthaKitt 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe this was addressed somewhere above, by my blood pressure can't taking reading more than eight posts at a time.

I don't know much about this stuff, but here's my understanding - the vast majority of athletics support is funded through its own proceeds and donations from athletic supporters (gotta use that term whenever you have the opportunity). These donations are specifically directed by the donor - much like the multi-million dollar donations made for gateways etc.

While I think most of us would agree that this money could do a lot more good by directly supporting students, faculty and educational facilities, the reality is that KU can only do with the money what the donor decrees. So rather than turn the money down, the university goes ahead and spruces the place up and builds training football centers in the hope that aesthetics and athletic success will indirectly affect educational funding.

And while I agree that it's terribly sad that Lew Perkins will earn more than $2 million while KU's belt is tighter than mine on Thanksgiving, the blame should fall at the feet of donors. Sadly, for many of those donors it's sexier to see their names on baseball fields than bandied about the financial aid department.

The world needs more Hortense Oldfathers and fewer -- well, I don't want to names names.

truman1902 5 years, 8 months ago

Last time I checked, in the United States, tangible success is REWARDED. Lew Perkins has placed smiles on the faces of Lawrence merchants, given us all a dramatic rise in the expectations of ALL Jayhawk athletic venues. Unlike a large number of CEO's who cut staff and take the glory of an inflated bottom line, Kansas University has blossomed under the stewardship of Lew Perkins. You don't think that the rest of the BIG 12 athletic departments would not leap at the opportunity to snag Lew away from the "golden valley--GLORIOUS TO VIEW"???

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

logrithmic,

why don't you go and work 3 full time jobs and donate all of your money to the DCHD if you feel that strongly about it. Or, go and get yourself qualified and hired in some occupation that pays extremely well, then donate all your money to help others. That would be very noble of you to do. But, it isn't noble to expect others to pay for everyone else just because they earn more money. Unless you are contrubuting all of your money to these social projects of yours, I don't think you have the right to condemn someone for being successfull.

Stop trying to punish people who work hard and made the necessary sacrifices and correct decisions to bring about the financial success that comes from a high level of competency in their occupation.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 8 months ago

Good post, Eartha.

Questions: does this bonus come out of the Williams Fund unrestricted account? And if he gets $2.05M AFTER taxes, how much of a donation was needed for him to get that after taxes?

Wow!

DCJayhawks 5 years, 8 months ago

Worth every penny! For you morons that think this is a travesty, Kansas Athletics operates like a private company...not like a bloated government agency or university that rewards based on seniority instead of merit.

justthefacts 5 years, 8 months ago

This discussion about what Lew should do with this money brought to mind a quote by the author Robert Hienline:

" Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws - always for other fellow. A murky part of us, something we had before we came down out of trees, and failed to shuck when we stood up. Because not one of those people said: Please pass this so that I won't be able to so something I know I should stop. Nyet, tovarishchee, was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them for their own good."

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

Granted, Lew's performance as AD is partly based on how much KU sports have improved, but one National Championship in Basketball (while KU was already consistently great) and a BCS game in football, while other sports are discontinued or suffer, is hardly criteria to call him the #1 AD.

KU is currently ranked 52nd in the Sears Director's Cup. I understand we lack the resources or support of other schools, like Texas or Stanford, but there are many schools that have similar resources and a higher standing than KU. Lew is not the best AD by far, but he may be the best for the one sport KU fans really care about.

chicklet 5 years, 8 months ago

isn't he paid by the KU Athletic Corporation? I know when I worked for KU Athletics got paid $6/hour to verify certain athletes attended classes I got a check from KUAC for that work and a separate check from KU for my work in the business school.

Mary Darst 5 years, 8 months ago

How ironic that this article was in the same time as , Did you get a refund? Good for Lew.

wdith09 5 years, 8 months ago

How much money has he brought the University and local merchants due to KU's athletic successes? I think this bonus is small in comparison to the amount of revenue KU Athletics has brought in since he has arrived at KU.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes jay, please do review my posts and see how often I attack the poster, compared to the poster's comments. Of course, when we just look at your posts here -- “jackasses … liars … idiot” -- they make it pretty clear who abuses the ad hominem attack policy around here.

Thanks also for giving me a chuckle by telling me my intent. Sure, I "hate" the rich ... which is pretty rich indeed. While you are reviewing my posts, please point out all the times I've written that I hate the rich. Good luck.

And if you can't find it, an apology will suffice.

pace 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't support the current strategy. I will wait until they come up with some interesting competitions like the United Methodist against the Ku Foot ball team or just throwing some lions and bears down there to duke it out.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

beatrice says: "Wa wa wa wa wa wa"

I've got much more interesting things to do than review your posts, bea, like cut my toenails. And I'll get more intellectual stimulation from that exercise as well. But your history of railing against those with money is well documented, and you know it. Apologize to you....for what? Not my fault you overpaid for whatever education you supposedly got. And if you could read AND comprehend (same ol' bugaboo, huh punkin?), the 'liar' wasn't directed at anyone specifically, and the 'idiot' was for you. And they're not 'ad hominem', as they refer to what people like you have said, not just for being, well, you. Look up the definition, or better yet have someone explain it to you.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

jay, are you also stomping your feet to go along with your temper tantrum? And could you be more jealous of someone for taking the time and effort to get an education? Funny.

But if you think I "hate" the rich, you are simply wrong. I actually do quite well, thank you very much. I have spoken out against the rich being given special privileges and massive tax cuts during a time of war that are not given to the rest of society, but that hardly means I "hate" the rich.

In other words, back up your accusation of my "hating" the rich. Or apologize for being dead wrong. Also, don't be jealous of others' education. That just comes across as petty.

BIGBEAR 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm just wondering how much of the money that the williams fund raised is from willing donations, and how much of it is from the required donations. If you want good season tickets at a basketball game the required donation is $50,000 per seat, every year. In my opinion that is no longer a donation, but an inflated price for a basketball game.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 8 months ago

Anyone that has a problem with Lew's bonuses by citing the economic woes of KU does not have a problem with the KUAC or Lew, they have a problem with basic capatilism. Every time you tune into a game or buy a KU jersey, you are voting (with your money) to keep him around. Every cent he makes in bonuses is one that the citizens of Lawrence and Jayhawk fans around the world gave him. Rightfully so. As long as you, the people, are willing to pay it, he will be around.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 8 months ago

"KU added the amount to a retention payment due to Lew Perkins this summer after he declined efforts made by another university in June 2006 to recruit him as its athletic director..."

It appears the $750K is not part of the initial retention agreement, but is in addition to it. Also, the $1.3 mil mentioned in the article is net, not gross. One could safely assume the $750K is net also. This brings the net to just over $2 mil. I'm not a big LP fan. He has done a lot for the KU Athletic Dept (but that's his job, isn't it). However, he's also done a lot to alienate much of the community, giving many the impression that KU runs Lawrence and not the developers.

I do agree that KU's priorities are misplaced. The $750K (net) could have paid for 9 or 10 profs. Isn't education the primary reason KU exists?

I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

cth, a problem with basic capitalism? No. It can just be a problem with the basic principles of a university gone awry, while having nothing to do with basic capitalism. It is a question about core principles. The reason for a university is education. If sports programs have grown so large that they overshadow the educational goals of the university, then something is certainly askew with the system. KU's Mission Statement doesn't even mention the word "sports," yet its top paid employees are in the sports program. That might indeed indicate a problem.

This doesn't mean Perkins doesn't deserve his pay. Not at all. He is making what he makes because people are willing to pay him that much -- no problem (got that jay!). However, it does raise the simple question of whether or not sports play too important a role in today's university setting when the educational areas of the university are in trouble.

The answer to the question might be simply that we need to stop pretending that universities are intended mainly for education, but are now, because of sports, there for major entertainment purposes as well.

wdith09 5 years, 8 months ago

Is it that hard to realize that this money is given by private donors specifically to Perkins? If these donors wanted to give money to the University for professors and such they would but they like what he is doing for KU Athletics.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 8 months ago

beatrice, can't argue with the last 2 paragraphs, but the last sentance of paragraph one is misleading as it assumes that people in the athletics corporation are KU employees. They are not, and niether is Perkins. The athletics corporation is not federally funded, and the paychecks of all athletics employees come directly from donors, merchendise, and/or the corporation's internal revenue (which they only get from 2 sports, and with which 14 other sports must be funded).

The athletics corporation and the University are two seperate organizations joined by the Jayhawk logo. If the sports program bloats to the point that it is disproportionate to the academic growth, then that means that donors and students are demanding more sports (with their money and tuition) and KUAC is willing to supply it to keep them (and their money) coming. This is, indeed, basic capatilism. Now it is unfortunate when you have a state-run institution going through hard times and the private organization next door is buying gold toilets, but to blame the failure of one on the success of the other is the same faulty logic of the anti-Wal-mart crowd: wal-mart (athletics) never took a dollar from competing business, the people who chose not to shop downtown (KU) did.

So, perhaps you're right, and University politics have led the mission awry, but only because they seem to be doing things in a more capitalist spirit, no? Good points, though!

repaste 5 years, 8 months ago

Donations to AD are tax deductible, meaning they detract from the federal tax pool. It would have been federal money had it not been diverted.

Vinny1 5 years, 8 months ago

Wow. If only people could understand that KU Athletics are different from the University and its education funding.

Anyone arguing that this is a "Waste of money" and "It should go to school" and "Lew is not worth that much" and "Student fees take to much" etc.

You need to stop being ignorant and know some facts. - KU Athletics IS NOT KU - Taxpayer money does not support KU Athletics - Lew is essentially the CEO of a company making 63 million a year. He is compensated with 2 million. Relatively speaking that is a small amount. - Student fees that did pay for the boathouse are being transferred to the new pool that is going in, in about 4 years. That is why the fee is extended for so long.

Again, before you make stupid ignorant comments about this article learn some facts. Or get off the library computer and go back out on the street and continue playing your drums trying to get a quarter out of everyone that walks by.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 8 months ago

None of you who are complaining even understand what's going on.

james bush 5 years, 8 months ago

Whoa! Report this guy to the Obama cyber spies and send a bus load of ACORN/code pink/moveon.org. protesters to his office.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

cth got it right, as many others have tried to explain; two separate entities, bea, got that? Has nothin' to do with the university focusing more on athletics. You're definitely nuttier than a squirrel if you think I'm jealous of your 'education', bea. Besides, how the heck do you get 'jealous' from me sayin' you wasted your money 'cuz none of it rubbed off?

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

cth, I'm not saying that the realities of the economy is hitting the university hard and it is the sports programs' fault. Never wrote that. (By the way, I actually enjoy sports and cheer on KU when I get the chance. Even attended the Insight Bowl this year. Just bringing up what I think is an interesting point on priorities.) As to what you and others claim, that the athletics program and the university are separate entities, I simply ask -- What is the KU sports program without KU? The university is far more than a logo under which teams play games.

We aren't talking about professional teams here, but student athletes -- students of the university. To attempt to split the athletic programs from the university itself, saying they only share a logo in common, is false. If they aren't the same entity, then why must the athletes maintain a certain grade-point average in order to play? Why must they even be students? Why aren't they paid for their services? The program may be able to raise funds separately from the university and pay their staff from those funds, but that doesn't truly separate it from the university. That is simply splitting hairs and ignoring the obvious truth of the matter -- without KU there would be no KU sports, which is not true the other way around.

Jay, you keep bringing up my education like it matters to you. Why should you care what education another person has, let alone a person you don't know or will ever have a hope of meeting in real life? Yet it is an important issue to you, which tells me it is jealousy. From your posts, I know you have worked for two "major city" newspapers. That indicates either a delivery job, or, to give you the benefit of doubt, an under-grad degree in journalism perhaps. I suspect it is an area in which you are no longer are employed, or you wouldn't be writing here. You must be upset when you hear or read of others who are employed in the areas in which they studied (and no, I won't tell you the field because that would really upset you). I think it is quite clear you are jealous, but your life's failings are not my fault. Further, do you really think it matters to me what a stranger with rage and self-importance issues thinks about me? How remarkably childish and silly.

Now, go ahead, call me a "jackass ... idiot ... moron." It is so mature of you.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

"You must be upset when you hear or read of others who are employed in the areas in which they studied (and no, I won't tell you the field because that would really upset you)."

No clue what the above is supposed to mean. But to the rest, bea, .....someone brought up a temper tantrum before? There ya go! You keep on believin' I'm jealous of your supposed education when all I've ever said about it is it's mythical. I'm sure the sky is pink with polka dots in your world, too, just keep deluding yourself.
All the rest is bitterness 'cuz I struck a chord. Golly, I'm sorry. Hold yourself up, bea, like you're the arbiter of good will. We both know different. And I believe you know what you can do with your indignation.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Didn't even use idiot once in that post! Very good, jay.

You say I am bitter because I have an education and am gainfully and happily employed in my chosen field? Um, okay. What ever you say, jay, what ever you say.

So I'm curious -- is it former newspaper boy or failed reporter?

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

No, dear, I say you're bitter because your 'education' was so obviously a waste of time and money, and if you're happy to be processing rebates from home that's fine with me.
Also funny how you're able to remember I've worked for major media but can't seem to recall numerous chats I've had on here about my current profession. Whatever helps your weak attacks and childish assertions, though. I'm done with you on this string, got toenails to cut.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 8 months ago

I've pole danced with B. I would quit while you're ahead, Jay!