Archive for Monday, April 13, 2009

Haskell Stadium to be discussed as graduation site for Lawrence’s high schools

April 13, 2009

Lawrence High School and Free State High School seniors could get their diplomas on May 24 at Haskell Stadium this year.

Lawrence School Board members will discuss the possible location — and inclement weather plan — when they meet Monday night.

The LHS ceremony will start at 1 p.m., with Free State’s procession starting at 4 p.m.

In case of inclement weather, graduation ceremonies will be in each school’s gym.

The LHS gym holds 1,925 people and each graduate would get five tickets for family and friends. The Free State gym can handle 1,600 people and each graduate would receive four tickets.

Both schools would have overflow seating in their auditoriums and cafeterias with a live feed of the ceremony.

The graduations will also air on Sunflower Broadband Channel 26.

LHS has 336 seniors who are expecting to graduate, and Free State has 378.

The Lawrence school board will hear the graduation plan at its regular meeting Monday night.

Comments

wysiwyg69 5 years, 8 months ago

maybe the school board could build a ceremonial stadium at each high school to be used once a year. Ah heck ,let the jr. highs use em too.

lynchburgsbest 5 years, 8 months ago

i think any thing rather than allen feildhouse is a great idea. being a 08 grad and having to sit through the lengthy speech by linda robinson in a non air conditioned building on a early summer afternoon sucked. Dont get me wrong it was amzing graduating in Allen Feildhouse just because of the glory of the place but the temp was very undesirable.

fourkitties 5 years, 8 months ago

I hate this idea.I live near the Haskell Stadium and I can just imagine all the cars parked in front of my house. I live on a dead end street and when cars park end to end all the way up and down the street on both sides we cannot get our cars out of our driveway. (think high school football games before they got free states field built.)

q_ball2kand1 5 years, 8 months ago

God forbid you get inconvenienced for one afternoon so 700 of our local children and their families can celebrate one of the proudest moments of their lives. The stadium was built in 1926. Were you there first?

hometownhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, you're out of line 4kitties. If you don't want the congestion of events at a stadium, don't live next to a stadium. I've lived near AFH, so I know what it's like... and it's not that bad.

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't care where they hold the ceremonies, as long as they change the dumb rule about hiring someone to take pictures, and parents not able to take their own. As a result, we did not get any good pictures of our child picking up her diploma, or afterward. What a dumb rule. I understand the time constraint, but the photographer took lousy pictures.

hometownhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Lied Center sounds like a good suggestion, and nothing's scheduled there for that day.

shorttrees 5 years, 8 months ago

Why are they discussing Haskell as a venue anyway? Is KU being "difficult" again about the use of facilities such as the stadium and fieldhouse? Heaven forbid the University should actually be friendly/open/cooperative with the surrounding community!

If the high school auditoriums and gyms are the backup venues in case of weather why not hold the graduation for each school at that school? Free State's "stadium" is finished, and LHS' will be done for next year. Bring the graduations back to their schools and forget the outside locations.

Vinny1 5 years, 8 months ago

Well there is construction going on in AFH and they are going to be taking the track out in the stadium. Those things = not able to hold gradation.

That being said when I graduated in Minnesota we graduated outside on our own football field. I don't know why that is not even an option here?? If we had inclimate weather it was going to be in our gym. They already have that backup plan here, so why not take it right outside to each schools football stadium.

If the time constraints are that big change the graduation times from like 1 and 4 to 1 and 6 or something like that. It should not be so difficult.

Vinny1 5 years, 8 months ago

q_ball2kand1 (Anonymous) says…

Honestly, if that is one of the proudest moments of your lives you don't have very high goals for yourself.

I graduated a short 3 years ago and I don't remember much about it. It wasn't/is not as big of deal these days as it used to be. Graduating high school is just like graduating elementary school, just another step on your path to graduating college. An accomplishment, but not a huge deal.

Its not even like you have to do anything extraordinary to graduate high school. You show up, you do some of the work, you graduate.

sun45kiss 5 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding Haskell that place stinks and it's all yukky looking...my daugther graduated in 2005 from Freestate and thank goodness it was held at KU Memorial Stadium...it was a wonderful moment...it was absolutely beautiful that day and having it at KU was an honor. All of my California folks were highly impressed with the college. My son graduates in 2010 and I would not like it if it were at Haskell. During the football season the place just stinks. and the concrete is all crumbly...we can do better..Yeah how about the Lied Center....this would be appropriate.