Archive for Monday, April 13, 2009

Go!

Budding business: Lawrence teacher opens secondhand clothing shop

Nikki Price, a teacher at Prairie Park School, has recently opened Closet 2 Closet, a secondhand clothing store in Eudora.

April 13, 2009

Not too many young teachers these days can afford to dress in high-end clothing by designers such as Ralph Lauren, Armani, Oscar de la Renta or Dooney & Bourke. Nikki Price, 30, a third-grade teacher at Prairie Park School, hopes this may soon change.

She recently opened Closet 2 Closet, a gently used women’s clothing store at 116 E. 20th St. in Eudora. For now, it’s open from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays.

“The hours fit in with my full-time teaching schedule, but I have plans to open full-time during the school holidays,” she says. “I know firsthand what it’s like to live on a budget and have felt the frustration when I’ve been looking for professional-looking clothing and felt I couldn’t afford any of it.”

Price, originally from Columbus, Neb., moved to Lawrence after marrying Lawrence resident Jonathan Price, owner of Floyd’s Drain Cleaning. She worked as a para-educator at Langston Hughes School for two years, joined the Prairie Park staff in 2004, and received her master’s degree in education from Kansas University in 2007.

She enjoys teaching third-graders.

“They’re pretty independent and at that lovely age when they still love school and are excited about coming in every day,” Price says.

The seeds for opening the clothing store were sown when she visited her father-in-law and his wife in Chadron, Neb.

“They’ve had a secondhand clothing store there for several years,” she explains. “They get their clothes from a family friend in Darien, Conn., who has being selling second-hand designer clothes for many years.”

“She gets so much high-end designer clothing she sends the overflow to my in-laws. When we visited Chadron last fall and noticed the enormous amount of designer clothing they had in their store, we decided to take some off their hands and open our own store.”

The Prices have lived in Eudora for nearly three years, where they own a garage with attached storage and office space.

“We weren’t using the office space, and had been wondering what we’d do with it,” Price says. “We decided it would make a perfect place for a used-clothes shop. The economy is so tough right now, and people are looking for ways to save money any way they can. This shop provides people with a great opportunity to buy top-quality clothing at affordable prices.”

Price tells her in-laws what she’s looking for, what sizes she needs, and they send it her way. Even though the store only opened in February, after passing all the city’s required inspections, it’s already full of designer clothes, shoes and accessories; some of them look like they’ve never been worn.

Price says the shop is her new hobby.

“It’s completely different to anything I’ve ever done,” she says. “I’ve been involved in education all my life, and this business is perfect for me. I love it. It’s providing a great service. It’s just a short drive from my school, I’m able to continue teaching full-time, and it’s supplementing my teacher’s salary.”

Comments

queen 6 years, 1 month ago

Do I sense a little hostility here?
I think that it's great that this teacher has the ambition to open her new business where rent is affordable to her and she can actually make a living.

Perhaps the reason she opened her business in Eudora is because she saw a need and I don't think that being so negative reflects so kindly on the residents of your fair town.

Do you want to attract local businesses to Eudora or do you prefer to wallow in your own self pity that you don't live in Lawrence?

oldcat 6 years, 1 month ago

Wilbur, please explain your hatred of Lawrence.

spankyandcranky 6 years, 1 month ago

It doesn't sound like she wants clothing donations because she gets enough from her relatives' store? So, I guess I'll just keep pedalling my used stuff to Lasting Impressions. Good to know it's there, though. Maybe I'll check it out.

SusieCreamcheeze 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry Wilber but she isn't spending a dine in Eudora..she shops in Lawrence like everyone else in Eudora.

black_butterfly 6 years, 1 month ago

Wilbur... your firsrt post is just plain ignorant and you seriously need English/grammar classes. If you read the article it clearly states why she opened her shop in Eudora.They already had the space! DUH. She states that this is a business/hobby to suplement the income of her full time job. I guarantee you if it were her only source of income she would be looking for a space in Lawrence! Eudora just does not have the flow that would be needed to make the kind of money she would need if it were her only source of income. Eudora's lack of diversity may discourage some people from making that 10 mile drive just to shop for second hand designer clothing. The Eudora teens have however hit the jackpot! (If the prices are reasonable). The main thing is that she is doing something that she loves.I wish Nikki the best with her new business venture!

grammaddy 6 years, 1 month ago

We love Nikki!! Go Prairie Park Bobcats!! Yeah 3rd grade!!!

Lauren Reinhold 6 years, 1 month ago

I'd love to check out this new shop, but the address doesn't work on googlemaps and the phone number I found just rings and rings. Can you post directions? Or maybe put directions on an answering machine. Unless it's top secret, of course...

lawthing 6 years, 1 month ago

The school teacher is actually the ring leader.

The whole business is part of a top secret highly sophisticated clothing fencing ring run by the mob,

You will never find this on google maps, and the phone is just a cover-up! They are sophisticated I tell ya!

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 1 month ago

I had to laugh when I read this. One gentleman (?) I knew used the name Wilbur for his, well, er, um, a certain body part. Maybe this just shows that the size of the town really does matter. All jesting aside, I think it's great when anyone can do something like this that helps others better afford anything. As to driving to Eudora to go there, probably not. Is Lawrence losing that much revenue because of it, I doubt it. Most of us drive right by Eudora to KC to distribute our sales tax dollars. I'm guessing even a few people from Eudora shop in Lawrence. More than evens out most likely. He says he doesn't hate Lawrence but he would have to try harder to convince me. His writing leads me to believe that maybe they need teachers of this caliber in Eudora. Grow up man, no one here cares, you shouldn't either. It's a shop in the corner of a garage that, no, she probably couldn't open in Lawrence. That's what makes small towns unique and special, not people like Wilbur. We have those in Lawrence too.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

oneeye_wilbur (Anonymous) says…

"you folks in lawrence don't read or comprehend"

I think that has more to do with your diction than our location. If you want people to comprehend then you should try and write comprehensably.

asey 6 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations Nikki! I wish you the best!

It's Church Street Exit. Turn right (south) Take first right (West) on Access Road - It's 20th street Go past Wolf's Automotive to 116 E 20th

Kirk Larson 6 years, 1 month ago

Isn't Eudora, like, a suburb/bedroom community to Lawrence?

/just gettin' your goat, Wilbur.

Alexander Neighbors 6 years, 1 month ago

I Love eudora, I think its an awesome Idea we need more small businesses in Eudora !!

otto 6 years, 1 month ago

Good - now when one of her students or parents of a student need to contact her about school work they will know where she is. Unlike all (most) of the other teahers in the district that run and hide as soon as the bell rings.