Archive for Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Two great coaches

Kansas University and Lawrence have reason to be proud of both the current coach and the last coach of the Jayhawk basketball team.

April 8, 2009

Congratulations to Roy Williams and his North Carolina team for winning the NCAA national basketball title, and congratulations to Bill Self for being named the national Division I coach of the year.

Williams did a tremendous job as coach of the Jayhawks for 15 years and strengthened the base and excellence of the Kansas University basketball program, making it a contender for league and national titles year after year.

Since moving to the University of North Carolina six years ago, he has won two national titles and taken his team to three Final Fours.

Self has continued the excellence of the KU basketball program during his six years leading the Jayhawks. He has guided his team to five regular season Big 12 championships and the 2008 NCAA title while also winning acclaim as the national coach of the year after taking this year’s unheralded KU team to the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16.

Williams is said to have one of the nation’s top, if not the top, recruiting classes coming in next year, and Self also has a top-rated group of high schoolers coming to KU. Perhaps Self and Williams will face off again next year in the NCAA Tournament.

Both coaches conduct themselves in a manner that reflects credit on their universities, and both are recognized as among the best in the country.

KU, Lawrence and the state of Kansas are fortunate to be able to claim the interest, loyalty and contributions of both of these leaders.

Again, congratulations and thanks to both Coach Self and Coach Williams.

Comments

cato_the_elder 5 years, 10 months ago

When I saw the headline, I thought that the editorial was going to be about two great coaches, namely Bill Self and Mark Mangino.

No such luck.

llama726 5 years, 10 months ago

Borrowing a quote here: "I don't give a sh** about North Carolina."

Kyle Miller 5 years, 10 months ago

And Williams (Roy) also lied to not only his players, but fans and everyone else. He was going to either "retire" or get "fired" from Kansas University so he said. So much for that. Congradulations for nothing to him!!

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

It's continuously sad and not a little bit disappointing to see the bitterness of fans over Roy's departure. I was bummed when he left but have never begrudged the man for a second for making a decision to go home, 'cuz that's all he did. He came to KU a virtual nobody, I can remember hoping we hired Charlie Spoonhour, for crying out loud. When Roy was announced as the new coach I could only say, "Who?!" But in two short years everyone knew his name and his legacy in Lawrence was well on its way to being firmly established.
Kansas basketball was huge before he arrived. He made us better and actually took the program to new and higher levels, not an easy feat when the program is as established as KU's. He was a beloved icon in town and the highly respected face of the U. for 15 years --- 15 years he gave to the 'Hawks!!! And for a second time in a few years his HOME begged him to come back, the only other job that could have possibly been more dear to his heart. I have no doubts he was sincere when he said he'd stay at KU forever. But his mentor, friend, and second father asked the favor of returning to where he began his career, where he assisted and built a cherished program for more than twenty years, to come back and save his beloved UNC. Only the simple-minded could continue to harbor a grudge over something as natural and heart-wrenching as that.
I'm always proud to say I'm a Jayhawk. I've always believed 'Hawk fans are some of the most knowledgable, enthusiastic, supportive, and respectful fans around. But all of you still acting like a spurned thirteen year old girl over Roy's tormented decision to go back to his roots after giving everything he had to KU for a decade and a half.......you're embarassing. Grow up already, gain some perspective, and please, for God's sake, get a life. Faced with the same sort of situation, 99.9% of us would have begrudgingly made the same choice. If you don't get it, I feel sorry for you.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 10 months ago

I've got no bitterness toward Roy, but I have to wonder about the LJW's ongoing love affair with Roy, who left six years ago.

Like the other reader above, I was hoping to see a nice piece about Self and Mangino, or maybe even Self and Bonnie. Guess again, Scooter.

missmagoo 5 years, 10 months ago

congrats roy, on a job well done. he supported KU in the 08 championship, and we should do the same for him in 09.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

A mind is a terrible thing to waste......

llama726 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm not bitter. I merely don't care about Roy anymore. I'm happy with Bill, and an article to talk about Roy is just a waste of ink, paper, and time.

Robert Rauktis 5 years, 10 months ago

Williams was well reimbursed for his time here. Are we to suppose the KUposition is so caustic to require some "hero" POW status. He got what he deserved...UNC. The LJW is otherwise pushing it's luck.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

There's a difference between an 'article' and an op-ed piece, kids.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

There are a few teams I have never, and will never, root for: Duke, Missouri, KSU, OU and North Carolina. And it has nothing to do with our former coach.
(and if they play each other, well, then I only hope the one that helps our team most wins, but I never cheer for them. never...at all. )

justaverage 5 years, 10 months ago

While some KU and Lawrence folks might care about what happens at UNC, you can be sure that the folks at UNC don't care at all about KU, period.

Kyle Miller 5 years, 10 months ago

Roy Williams obviously doesnt care for KU as much as all you people would like to think, or he never would have left. All this talk about Roy going home..... blah blah blah. It was Dean Smith that wanted him back more than anything. I'm absolutely GLAD the guy is gone. Another thing about him (Roy) that really pisses me off is... Back when he was here, there was a program called the Coaches vs Cancer 3 point attack. It was put on through the American Caner society. My father is a cancer survivor, and helped put this program on. Roy always told my father, if you need anything let me know. Guess what... my father tried contacting him numerous times either face to face, or through secretary's, etc. Phone calls were never returned, or the effort to "help" out was never there.

Once again... I have NO use for the guy!

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

"It was Dean Smith that wanted him back more than anything"

Yeah. YOU know.
Born and raised in NC, played for and coached the Tar Heels for decades....... yup, no emotional draw there whatsoever. Dean Smith, the John Wooden of UNC and Roy's mentor and friend came to him with a personal request. My guess is that pinheads that hold this grudge have never and will never be faced with such important and gut-wrenching decisions. It's not about 'loyalty' and Roy 'lying' for you people; it's about selfishness. Your selfishness, not Roy's. And Roy was and is intricately involved with Coaches vs. Cancer since it's inception. Sorry he didn't personally return your father's call, but it hasn't stopped him from raising funds and awareness year in and year out. Again, 'your' selfishness is shown, not his. Roy helps the cause, but not to your personal satisfaction. That's a 'you' problem.

The man served the University for a decade and a half, brought nothing but pride and class to the program and actually improved the tradition and legacy of one of the most storied sports teams in the country. Like I wrote before, if you can't get that, I feel sorry for you. Bunch o' whiney ass cry babies.........

BigAl 5 years, 10 months ago

jaywalker, I understand where you are coming from. I think Roy is one of the best coaches in the country. I am happy that he is "home" and that we now have Bill Self. I was sad to see Roy leave but I understood. However, I didn't understand why Dean Smith couldn't wait until after the Final Four to make a run at Roy. Especially considering that Dean was a Kansas man himself. It was thoughtless and a little more than disloyal of Dean to put Roy in that position. A few more days wouldn't have hurt.

I was upset with Dean, not Roy. I still think that Dean should have been investigated by the NCAA for his actions. And, although Roy Williams gave KU some great years, that doesn't mean that we have to now cheer for UNC. I am hoping that KU passes both UNC and Kentucky on the all time win list and catch them on the Championships. That has nothing to do with Roy but everything to do with KU.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

BigAl,

Don't disagree with a word you wrote! And I was never advocating everyone must root for UNC, just sick of the childishness. It was sour grapes, sincere disappointment, and a little inferiority complex at the start; 5 years later, particularly with Self at the helm and what he's got going, the furtherance of the "hate Roy'" campaign is pathetic and makes the U. look bad. Sick of it. UNC and Smith should have had more class and respect back then, no question about it. They I blame, Roy I appreciate.