Archive for Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Man arrested after intimidating resident with fake gun

April 8, 2009

Lawrence police arrested a 37-year-old transient man after he accosted a resident with what appeared to be a handgun.

Sgt. Damon Thomas said that the transient and the Lawrence resident had an argument in the 900 block of Massachusetts Street. The man then lifted up his shirt to display what appeared to be a gun in the small of his back.

Thomas said it turned out to be a “very realistic plastic gun.”

“He didn’t pull it on him or put it in his face, but that still puts him in a reasonable state of fear,” Thomas said.

Comments

lee 5 years, 8 months ago

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

Just one more reason to shop Downtown Lawrence.

gr 5 years, 8 months ago

"where he was arrested on charges of aggravated assault. "

Wow. Lifting up your shirt is "aggravated assault"?!

Can I press charges on all those running around exposing their bellies?

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Multi...I sure hope so. That always makes for good entertainment.

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

Just another example of the "family friendly" atmosphere downtown. Of course, if one is open minded, they will take their 7 and 9 year old downtown for dinner anyway, won't they Machiavelli_Mania?

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

A plastic gun? Where would a tranisient get a plastic gun? Are you sure it wasn't a spork? Those can be quite dangerous and threatening. Plus, a spork is easier to get out of pants with a rope as a belt than a gun.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

sank4ever (Anonymous) says…

"thank you hermione elliott for your prayers and agreeing with me for standing by my man, i appeciate your support i wish more people were like you. there are thousands of cars like that it could have been anyone's car your right, trust and believe it wasnt our car cause i got our car and its an explorer nothing like the car he was in. i will stand by my man and support him, i just wish everyone else would let it be. i wont allow anyone to talk crap about my husband. thank you all and god bless"

Just thought I'd help get this one moving................

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

lee (Anonymous) says… "Just want to jump in before anyone goes off on the homeless, tony is a life time lawrence res"

From the article.... "Thomas said the transient fled to the Lawrence Community Shelter, 214 W. 10th St., where he was arrested on charges of aggravated assault. He was booked into jail at 7:29 p.m. Tuesday night."

Thomas said it turned out to be a “very realistic plastic gun.”

Hope he had a "very realistic concealed carry permit."

Lifelong Lawrence transient resident homeless person........ Whatsamatter? Didn't get elected to city commission ?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

bet that plastic gun was real to the other dude.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Good thing the other dude wasn't packing for real!

lawthing 5 years, 8 months ago

Realistic guns and real guns are illegal in the City of Lawrence!

Now that is a good thing to know!

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the other dude brought a plastic knife.

"Never take a knife to a gun fight"

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

hey 2fat-- are you talking about me again.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 8 months ago

I know this fool.His street name is "Yazzie" and he is a dork! Mr.Omni car,you could have knocked him over with two fingers and he would have stayed down. Yazzie is absolutely harmless to evrybody but himself.He is going to be the source of his own demise.Be it by pen or sword.Drink or gun barrel,he is going to bring it all down upon himself and his stupidity will get the best of him.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm assuming "Peace be with you" isn't being truthful, or he has the most ironic log-on name ever. Ready to get into a fight over urine on your tire? Dude, it will rinse off. Is that really worth fighting over? Is it worth getting into a bloody fist-fight with a transient over? Think about it. And next time just rinse your tire off before you pull into the garage. Geez.

think_about_it 5 years, 8 months ago

Give it up waka.

Your pretending to be an illiterate homeless person is getting old.

No one is that stupid, not even sank.

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

even though it was a plastic gun it seems you would not carry something like that unless you were trying to intimidate someone. he is probably lucky he wasnt shot by someone who saw that like the police. hope he gets some help that it sounds like he may need.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Peace be with you, what part of "peace be with you" don't you get? A car tire isn't the same thing as a pant leg and you know it. One is actually worn on your body, and the other is on your Omni. However, if you care to risk getting into a fight and getting the spilled blood of a transient onto yourself, so be it. Seems pretty stupid to me, but then again, you are the type who would drive an Omni.

Of course, as I've already stated, I'm just having fun with this because I'm not believing any bit of your story.

HermioneElliott 5 years, 8 months ago

Don't we learn as small children that there are some things that are supposed to be private and not done in public? There are consequences for our actions and that applies to everyone, rich, poor, homed and homeless. These posting have gotten really bad. Everything has turned into a joke with one poster trying to outdo the other. I know it would be no good for me to say please grow up and try to be serious about a serious topic. Stop making fun of people. Stop trying to ruin someones day just so you can have a laugh. I can hear you laughing now. Dust off my shoulder. Waka, try this the next time someone puts you down, raise a hand and dust off your shoulder. Your life is your own.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

swish, swish

There, I feel better already

Wish I had a popsicle............

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

hey, he was homeless, the assault was real when he raised his shirt, it was olfactory!