Archive for Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Biden: Cheney ‘dead wrong’ on security

April 8, 2009

— Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday his predecessor, Dick Cheney, is “dead wrong” when he says President Barack Obama’s national security policies are making the United States less safe.

Biden said the exact opposite is true and added that President George W. Bush’s vice president was part of a dysfunctional decision-making system.

Since becoming president, Obama has ordered the closing of the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and banned certain interrogation methods for suspected terrorists.

Cheney last month said the Bush administration programs involving suspected terrorists were critically important and overturning them had made the country less safe.

BrianR 6 years, 7 months ago

Hmmm, it says there is 1 comment, yet there are none. This story was obviously bumped by the paper to start a conversation. Or, more accurately, a fight.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 7 months ago

This happens quite frequently, BrianR, and I've had the same thought about what causes it. Another possibility is that a comment was made and removed, but it still shows up on the list. It could just be a glitch in the software.

Regardless, I doubt that we'll get any explanation from the webmasters.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 7 months ago

BrianR, Bozo--

Removed comments do show up in the comment count, which would explain the number.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 7 months ago

"And far as this article, I'd bet one large ($1k) on Cheney vs. Biden."

Bet on what? Which one would keel over first from cardiac arrest?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

The American seamen taken by pirates today probably don't feel very safe.

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 7 months ago

LOL! This thread has more comments about the comment count than the article. I'm curious, does anyone know just how much information the Bush/Cheney "interrogation techniques" actually produced? I don't recall ever hearing or reading about any major intelligence that was discovered through those techniques. I can't imagine any serious terrorists who would be willing to blow themselves up would cave while being water-boarded. I don't think the base should have been closed, though (and I'm one of those damn liberals!).

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

High-level intelligence tends to stay secret.

BrianR 6 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Jonathan.

I just hope Chaney doesn't invite Biden to go hunting. I hope he knows that he should 'just say no.'