Archive for Monday, April 6, 2009

Fifteen-year-old stabbed near 11th and Delaware

A 15-year-old boy was stabbed after a fight Sunday night in East Lawrence.

April 6, 2009, 1:12 a.m. Updated April 6, 2009, 5:25 a.m.

Police respond to stabbing of 15-year-old boy

A 15-year-old Lawrence boy was stabbed just before midnight Sunday near 11th and Delaware. Lawrence police received reports of two vehicles leaving the area after the incident. They pulled over a black Ford Escort at Seventh and Rhode Island streets. Police found the stab victim in the car and called medics to the scene. Enlarge video

Lawrence police on Monday were looking for a suspect in a Sunday night stabbing that sent a 15-year-old boy to the hospital.

Sgt. Ted Bordman said the incident began with an altercation between two groups of people in the parking lot of Hobbs Park near 11th and Delaware streets at 11:56 p.m.

Police received calls about the fight and learned that two cars had left the scene.

Bordman said an officer pulled over one of the vehicles, a black Ford Escort, near Seventh and Rhode Island streets. Inside the car, the officer found the stabbing victim and a friend who was rushing him to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Medics arrived at the scene and transported the teen to the hospital where he was treated and released, Bordman said.

The other vehicle that left the scene was a light blue Chevrolet Suburban driven by a man in his 20s. Bordman said police identified the man as a person of interest by interviewing people at the scene.

Comments

shadowbox66044 6 years, 3 months ago

Pretty soon everyone is going to blame the topeka or kc thugs for this one...Well, it did happen in Lawrence, so what are we going to do about it???

Suvk1ller 6 years, 3 months ago

Why was a 15 year old out running around this late at night? If this kids parents had his @ss home at a descent hour this might not have happened!

Steve Jacob 6 years, 3 months ago

He probably would have been home if school was not out today. I got questions about letting you 15 year old out til midnight or later even during a non-school night, but I will stay out of that argument. I would think he would be ok, if it was bad, he would be a Children's Mercy.

compmd 6 years, 3 months ago

"jackbinkelman (Anonymous) says…

At 15, I was home in bed on a Sunday night at midnight."

So I guess all work and no play really did make Jack a dull boy. :)

grammaddy 6 years, 3 months ago

There used to be a curfew of 11:00 pm for kids under 18. What happened to that??!

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 3 months ago

Upon reflection I must admit when I was 15 years old I would sneak out of the house without my parents knowing. I even would take my dad's old dodge and drive out in the country when my parents went to town on Saturday afternoon. Sometimes kids are to blame for their bad behavior.

50YearResident 6 years, 3 months ago

Ban all knives! It should be illegal to own one of those dangerous things. We need new laws! Only steak eaters should be allowed to carry one.....

frank mcguinness 6 years, 3 months ago

tumbilweed just made many gun advocates heads explode.

DMH1983 6 years, 3 months ago

grammaddy-

There still is a curfew - however I was recently told by a LPD officer that they don't write tickets for violations anymore because the DA won't uphold them.

Danimal 6 years, 3 months ago

After seeing a rise in incidents like this on the rise we need a DA that will crack down on, and actually prosecute, the little stuff. This is a perfect example of how reasonable (seemingly unimportant) laws going unenforced leads to bigger problems.

Danimal 6 years, 3 months ago

Yeah bennyoates, God forbid that the DA actually enforce the curfew laws we put on the books.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

A group of people in Hobbs in THAT cold? Something was up.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 3 months ago

You can't always assume that the parents didn't have control. It is possible for a teenager to sneak out of the house without his/her parents knowing.

I hope the kid is ok, and I hope he learns from this. Sometimes it is better to walk away. Sometimes you need to figure out that these are not people you should be dealing with or a situation that you need to be in.

Of course, I say that without knowing any of the events that led up to this, so I could be wrong. But the person that did the stabbing just made life a lot more difficult for themself.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

I can't remember much of being 15, but I damn sure wasn't out getting stabbed. Hate to sound old... but what is the world coming to.

feeble 6 years, 3 months ago

Danimal (Anonymous) says…

And have taxpayers willing to pay for the increased cost associated with more cops on the street, aggressive prosecution and greater rates of incarceration...

Bladerunner 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure the DA's office will tell you they would be glad to prosecute the smaller stuff if they had more staff. That means bigger government. You Hoo! Obama...over here!

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

We're obviously ignoring the real problem (other than bad parenting). Caffeine. It needs to be banned. If it weren't for Caffeine, this kids would be too tired to get together that late. I guarantee that Mountain Dew was involved.

stevieags 6 years, 3 months ago

If he would of had a concealed carry permit he would have been able to prevent that stabbing from happening. Well I do realize he is only 15.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

westies vs. the jets.

or, they didn't like an ump's call at late-nighte softball under the lights?

I hope the boy heals thoroughly, and that he learns to make better choices now before the price gets higher.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 3 months ago

i hate to see these things happen in lawrence, but the crime rate here is still lower than most towns. provided it's faults, lawrence is a good town to live in

stickerman 6 years, 3 months ago

He may have been smoking a cigarette, so in most of Douglas County's eyes, he may have gotten what he deserved. If so, he got off easy and I'm somewhat surprised that he wasn't shot.

make_a_difference 6 years, 3 months ago

Let's hope this experience will shake up those involved enough for them to take a good look at the choices they are making in life. Hope they will ask themselves "Is this truly the path I want to take?" and "Where am I likely to end up if I continue this path?". If the answer is no and no where good, then find some way to redirect themselves...find someone to help guide & support in making other choices. Life is a series of choices...choices that can have long time consequences. Your choice, your consequence...good or bad.

Danimal 6 years, 3 months ago

My guess is (sadly) they won't reflect on this and learn anything. A lot of kids today think they're the baddest thing ever and don't realize they're just some kid from suburbia in Kansas. Probably getting stabbed and it not being life threatening will make this kid think he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof, as they say.

And for all of you defending the DA's office as understaffed; if they're committing all their resources to trying vehicular manslaughter cases where somebody ends up getting 2 weeks in jail I don't think this logic holds up. Curfew violations are fined, usually the kids are taken home by the cops without ever going to the station. It's a fairly common theory in police circles that if you decide that something is too insignificant to police (like say urinating in public or curfew violations) then it will probably spiral out of control. This is why the police in New York crack down on any lawlessness they see. By allowing people to get away with minor offenses you're basically daring them to commit bigger and bigger crimes. There's a reasons that we have curfew laws, and the police and the DA should be enforcing them.

kmat 6 years, 3 months ago

Until they start prosecuting the parents, nothing will change. Kids these days are punks. I would have never have thought of sneaking out because my mom would have beaten me within inches of my life. Too many people keep having kids and either don't have the time or the resources to bring them up properly. People need to stop popping out kids because of their selfish want to have kids (they don't really want to be parents though). I know way to many people that didn't realize that they would have to change their lives to be a parent. And those that decided to not change how they live have raised some really cr*ppy kids that get in trouble and have no respect for anyone.

If the kids aren't legal and are out at night, then the only solution is make the parents pay. Whether they snuck out or the parents just don't care that their kids are out too late, they are still responsible until the kids are 18. Make the parents pay fines if they don't want to be responsible parents. At least that way they're helping to pay for the money law enforcement has to spend on their kids.

HermioneElliott 6 years, 3 months ago

He was not out there by himself. In this day and age, with electricity and all, people don't feel obliged to go to sleep at sunset. Say what you will about being the perfect parent, you know, the kind that raised those Brady kids, but the rest of us are still normal, common human beings. We make mistakes. Raising children can be as heart breaking as it is joyful. Try monitoring everyone who has sex and making sure they do it under the proper conditions and in the right way. Anyone want to take that job. For every action there is a reaction.

amdtmd18 6 years, 3 months ago

I think people post without thinking or reflecting. I think a lot of people at one time or another have either snuck out or told their parents they're one place & been another. It is wrong that the kids were out and they need to be held responsible for their actions. My biggest concern is... what is a 20 year old doing stabbing a 15 year old? Most of the post are ridiculing the 15 year old & not the person stabbing the teen. People that just stab to solve problems need to be held responsible & hopefully the parents will become aware of their teenagers stunts now. GROUNDED!!!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

HermioneElliott (Anonymous) says…

---uh WTH?

I'm just glad a gun wasn't involved this time.

Jeff Belaire 6 years, 3 months ago

I am the 15 year olds father. I am glad to hear all of the comments from these anonymous readers who feel that they have not made in bad decisions. I really wish that I could live in these perfect worlds that you live in. Take a walk in my shoes and I bet that you would not be so judgemental. I am a single parent and I also am raising a 10 year old girl. I guess the fact that a 20 year old would stab a kid is not taken into consideration. Nor is the fact that he was not the only underage kid out on this night. I was out of town and before this incident I had spoken with my son and everything was ok. He did not go with me out of town because he was playing in a basketball tournament on Sat. He was not out drinking or drugging. I guess the LJ world and the police do not have the time to say that this "person of interest" is still running the streets. I guess everybody feels safe in the perfect homes. The LJ world just did a report today on the juveniles who have been sexually violated in school and in the "safety" of their own homes. If anybody would like to comment directly to me my number is 313-608-2447. Also, where are the comments about how this happened not more than 4 blocks from the police station. Let's not forget that this man is still running the streets while I have to wonder if this punk is going to try and come to my house. Hope he does and and then I will give you a good story to write about.

Practicality 6 years, 3 months ago

jabel,

I hope your son is recovering well. Did he know the person who assaulted him? And, if so, have you guys already told the police. I hope they catch him soon. Speedy recovery to your son.

Tammy Yergey 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey Jabel, I'm sorry. I talked to my daughter (goes to school with your son). I also know you from years back. I hope he gets well soon and the perp is caught. Very, very sorry.