Archive for Sunday, April 5, 2009

On the record

April 5, 2009

• At 11:29 p.m., Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical responded to an apartment fire at 1529 Kentucky Street. Residents reported smoke in a second-floor hallway. Crews cleared the scene within an hour of their arrival.

• At 7:44 p.m., a fight involving four large dogs was reported in the 1800 block of Miller Drive. One dog appeared to be injured and animal control was called to the scene.

• At 6:44 p.m. medics treated a man who crashed his car after having a diabetic reaction while driving at 1420 Kasold Drive. The man did not sustain any injuries from the actual crash, police said.

• At around 5:30 p.m., a puppy was taken by physical force in the 100 block of Bristol Terrace. The owner and the person who took the puppy knew each other, police reported.

Comments

LadyJ 5 years, 4 months ago

Was this the same block that was being discussed the other day? There was a house where pit bulls were being raised.

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

Believe that's correct, LadyJ.

lionheart72661 5 years, 4 months ago

please don't start on the pitbulls, I raised pits while in Texas they are extremely gentle dogs that are very strong. The problem is not the dog but the people that own them. Hopefully the folks that own these dogs are not raising them to fight because it is a sad waste of a beautiful dog.

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

lionheart - from the comments the other day that is exactly what these people are doing. According to the posters, this house is very troublesome.

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

lionheart - no breed was mentioned. The owner is ultimately responsible for the dogs disposition and the injuries/destruction resulting from dogs behavior.

Melanie Birge 5 years, 4 months ago

I was at 1420 Kasold Drive and I want to know why it took LPD,LFD or an EMS 12 to 15 minutes to get there!?

HermioneElliott 5 years, 4 months ago

lionheart. I agree with you. When something happens to you or yours you become more aware and more sensitive about the subject. I think pit bulls are handsome dogs. They have a wonderful configuration. I used to meet up with one when she was being walked. Her name was Sophie Maria, and she was so beautiful and sweet, a lovely mid brown color. It chills me to think of someone forcing a sweetheart like her to fight for her life.

misseve 5 years, 4 months ago

Ohyasee (Anonymous) says…

I have no Idea.. I was at the intersection when I saw the plume of smoke and started smelling the burning rubber. I called 911 not sure exactly what was happened. I thought it was a car or the building on fire. I got to my mom's house at 7th and Kasold, got into the house, made a phone call, sat down for dinner THEN heard the EMT's. It took IMO a very long time for the short distance they traveled to get there.

Raider 5 years, 4 months ago

Yes, this is the same house we were talking about the other day. The neighbors heard the dogs fighting in the back yard. It was obvious that one of the dogs was being harmed. Neighbors tried to call ANimal Control but they were gone for the night. Dispatch sent a patrol car, and when he got there he looked over the fence and immediately called for backup. The fight resulted in the death of one of the animals. ANimal Control came in, the police issued a citation and left. I saw the guy walking down the street today. We have no idea what it's going to take to get this scum off the street.

lionheart72661 5 years, 4 months ago

well i am glad to see that we are all for the most part on one accord here. Yes Roedapple what you said is very true. Unfortunately the poor dog gets put down. A sad fate for a wonderful breed of dog.

misseve 5 years, 4 months ago

I went back through my cell phone log... I made my 911 call at 6:44 pm SO i was at 15th and Kasold at the same time of the accident NOT after.... went to 7th EMT's should have passed me, right? I didnt stop cause the smoke was crazy thick. I hope the person in the car is ok.