Archive for Sunday, April 5, 2009

City to distribute free bicycle helmets

April 5, 2009

Free bicycle helmets for children will be available at an upcoming city event.

The city of Lawrence will sponsor its 2009 Helmet Fair from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. April 11 in parking lot 91 of Kansas University. The lot is southeast of Memorial Stadium, between the Spencer Museum of Art and the football practice fields.

In addition to the helmet giveaway, the event will feature a bike rodeo for children and a fun zone with inflatable games. And KU’s spring football game will kick off at 2 p.m. that day.

The event is sponsored by the city, area bike clubs, the Safe Kids Coalition, and through donations from several area businesses.

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

A big thank you to those business who have financially sponsored this.

To our city government, how many of my tax dollars are going toward these "free" helmets? And how much of my money are you spending on moonwalks and other inflatable games? Unbelievable. A prime example of wealth redistibution by our government.

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

STRS - They have been doing this for many years. Why are you complaining now?

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

Free bicycles is next, Reticent. Our government will one day determine a "right" exists for all children have taxpayer-funded bikes.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

Look for many of the helmets I and my family paid for to end up for sale on ebay and craigslist.

oldcat 5 years, 8 months ago

SettingTheRecordStraight, looking at your posts, is there anything you don't complain about?

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

oldcat,

I'm engaged in matters of social and economic justice. The redistribution of wealth by those in power who are arrogant enough to believe that they know how to care for me my family is appalling.

You too should speak against this gross overstep by government.

Susan Mangan 5 years, 8 months ago

Ok..we don't need the helmet, or the games, for that matter, but the rodeo is really fun for kids. They usually have firetrucks and ambulances kids can see and that's a nice, inexpensive, community service. i'd rather have my tax money pay for that than homeless benefits, stuff they call art, or more dizzying and money-draining roundabouts. At least it's a benefit aimed at some people in this town who actually pay taxes. We got a helmet a few years ago because it was the only direct refund of some of the exhorbitant taxes we pay. It is also designed to teach kids some bike safety and I remember going to one of those rodeos in my hometown about 30 years ago. i really think, for the cost (subtracting the games and free helmets), it's one of the better government sponsored programs out there.

Here's my question, though. it's put on by the City, but it's at KU. do we have to pay to park there? I haven't had a KU parking sticker for 15 years. I don't even remember the parking regulations there...is it free on Saturdays? If so, I think holding this event is a good way for KU to spread some goodwill through the community.

Mike Blur 5 years, 8 months ago

If the distributed helmets save even one life or prevent even one head injury, the program is worth it and pays for itself.

If it even simply promotes the idea that wearing bike helmets is common sense, the program is worth it, and eventually pays for itself.

The STRS'es of the world cannot grasp the concepts of such programs. If life is sacred, then conservatives like STRS should applaud these programs, instead of criticizing them.

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, STRS, the fire department has been doing this for years. I remember taking my kids when they were in grade school. Complaining about it after its been going on for a while is well, lame.

terrapin2 5 years, 8 months ago

With that attitude I think STRS should move somewhere else where the cities don't spend ANY money in their communities, and then maybe they would be happy.

From what I've been taught this is what the definition of "community" is all about. Our city funding a worthy cause for the children of our community who ride bikes! E-gads, it sounds so sinister! Who in their right mind wouldn't want to put bike-helmets on the children of our city, whether they are under-privileged or not? You have to know with the current economic woes that there are families in this town who can't afford to spend $10-$20 on a bike-helmet for their kid, or perhaps might choose to spend their money on other things instead of a bike-helmet for their child. I think if there's a chance that they might go pick up a free bike-helmet at an event like this, then it's well worth it. And as others pointed out, if it means saving a few children from serious brain injuries/death then it's tax-payer money well spent no matter how you look at it! And do you really think someone is going to take the time to list a $10 bike-helmet on e-bay or craigslist? Really? Do you think about these things on a regular basis? I mean, that's just sad.

VoiceOfReason, The Red & Yellow parking spaces in lot 91 are only restricted M-F so you do not need a parking permit to park there on a Saturday.