Archive for Saturday, April 4, 2009

Beans the cat safely back, after accidental trip to California

Beanies Ann is back home this week after a short trip to San Diego after she crawled into a neighbors moving van.

April 4, 2009

Cat survives California vacation

There's one lucky pet safe at home in Lawrence after an incredible adventure. Enlarge video

Most pets normally don’t go on the family vacation. But one Lawrence cat just needed some sun, and headed west while the rest of the family headed east during spring break.

Meet Beans, the Sotomayors’ family cat.

When Anita and Ian Sotomayor and their four children, ages 3 to 12, left for a trip to St. Louis recently, Beans was on her way to San Diego.

“We came back on Sunday, and she was nowhere,” Anita Sotomayor said. “We called and called all evening long until the kids went to bed and just tried to reassure them that she would come back tomorrow.”

But when they woke up the next morning, Beans was still missing. The family moved to action and posted fliers about their missing cat throughout the neighborhood.

Then a neighbor offered a tip. “He said, ‘Are you missing a cat?’ And I said, ‘Yes, we are,’ And he said, ‘We have the cat.’ ”

But Anita Sotomayor didn’t see the cat, so the neighbor clarified, “My wife has the cat in San Diego.”

Beans apparently climbed aboard a truck the neighbors were packing up for a move to California. When the truck was opened in California, there was Beans.

The cat stayed with the neighbor’s wife for a week and a half before joining her on a Continental flight to return home on Thursday.

“(The children) were so excited, and we had been looking forward to that day,” Anita said. “We just love Beanies. We think she’s so lovable.

“She’s just a good first pet, couldn’t ask for more.”

Anita’s 9-year-old son Jules said he thinks Beans may have even brought back some California sunshine. He said, “The day has been nicer because it’s been rainy a lot when she’s been gone.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years ago

bigdave - If pore grammer wer sh%#, youd have a botelode

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

Grammar class, bigdave, grammar class.

bigdave 5 years ago

Thank you Pywacket you could not of said it better, All the cat lovers who let there cats out all night need to come over my house and clean out the sh%# from my boat and garden!!!!!!!! I don't have pets and if I did I would not let them lose to do what they do. (my fish stay home)

Pywacket 5 years ago

Not sure I understand this correctly. These people left for a trip to St Louis and came back on Sunday "and she [the cat] was nowhere"?

When they left for St. Louis, the cat was already on its way to San Diego? Meaning it had already been outside for some time when they took off on their little jaunt?

And you're all bagging on Pogo because he had the temerity to point out the gross irresponsibility of the animal's owners?

Oh--and everyone thinks Pogo should suck it up and bask in the warm, fuzzy "feel good" aspects of the story because it's so cute and amusing that the cat was trapped in a truck and inadvertently (and probably with great distress) rode all the way out to California before being returned?

Would you all be stoning Pogo if the story had gone south? What if the cat had climbed into the engine compartment of the truck for warmth (not an unusual thing for a cat to do) and, instead of a free ride, had been sliced and diced by the fan when the vehicle was started? Or hit by a car as it wandered unsupervised over the weekend?

Aside from the animal's welfare, Pogo's not the only one who is disgusted when other people's pets crap in his garden. Doesn't make him a cat hater. I have cats of my own--very well cared for and not allowed to endanger their lives by running the streets. You'll never read about them traveling, as they won't need to find shelter in a vehicle. And they will never ruin anybody's garden, leave stinking urine in their garages, spread disease, or kill songbirds at people's feeders. I guess that makes me as much a wet blanket as Pogo, who, by the way, said "there are no bad pets, just bad owners." But don't let that stop any of you animal-neglect apologists from branding Pogo a cat hater.

One apologist even went to the trouble to make up a fantasy scenario where the cat "maybe got out while a neighbor was feeding it." Go back and read the story, Einstein. It says the cat was "on her way to San Diego" when the family left for St. Louis. Again--what kind of people leave town when their pet is out of the house and unaccounted for? Answer: the same kind who contact the paper for a little schmaltzy publicity when the neglected animal does something that can be spun into a "cute story."

jackbinkelman 5 years ago

"Beans, beans the magical fruit..." sorry..

persevering_gal 5 years ago

Wow! This cat got back safely to Lawrence through Continental Airlines!

That is one smart cat to get away from Lawrence during this crumby weather! I think more of us need to just hop in our cars and get the heck out of here every now and again without worrying about what types of violations our neighbors are breaking! You can learn a lot from Beans.

sourpuss 5 years ago

Pogo, I get your point that pets are best kept indoors, and when outdoors, be kept under control on a lead or in a pen, but there are better ways of making your point. My own cats are strictly indoors. I've lost pets to traffic and I don't want to go through that again. However, many people do not keep their cats inside for a variety of reasons, and while one can suggest that indoor is best, that does not mean you have to be so hard on a family that is just happy to have gotten their pet back.

So...

Spay and neuter your pets Quit smoking Thank the bus driver Eat less red meat Get a walk in now and then

It is still a cute story, and welcome back to Larryville, Beans.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years ago

My husband also hated cats when I married him, but I fixed him.

The cat or your husband?

lorryprior 5 years ago

I couldn't believe all the comments about Beans Story, and wanted to add my two cents. My husband also hated cats when I married him, but I fixed him. I took my cat on our honeymoon! Well, it is 54 years later and we have our seventh cat, and sixth dog. We do walk them together on leashes, and they get along a lot better then the people posting comments above.

mom_of_three 5 years ago

I have two cats that sometimes make an escape through the door when it is opened. They are in the yard, but no, they don't wear tags. Why, because the dog likes to chew on them, and nearly choked one to death. But they are indoor cats. So this cat got out somehow (perhaps when a neighbor was feeding the cat, since the folks were on vaca in St. Louis), and was curious about the big truck. Nice story. But not all cats will dig in the dirt or the gardens. Mine just like to stalk birds.
Pogo, what can I say, get over yourself.

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

Internet Troll - 1 LJW Commenters - 0

JayCat_67 5 years ago

Pogo does make one good point. A cat running around outside is obviously more likely to get injured or killed. Experience has taught me that telling the kids that the cat was killed by a car really sucks! Plus it seems that coyotes have been getting a lot braver in urban areas. So please folks, protect your pets from cars, wild animals and misanthropes like Pogo. And once we get them all safely inside, he'll only have to worry about rabbit poop, possum poop, skunk poop, raccoon poop, coyote poop and the occasional drunken college student peeing in his yard. Seriously folks, glad you got your cat back!

bigdave 5 years ago

That looks Just like a cat I hade 10-12 years ago in CA His name was Bones :) Good to see him back, but do side with Pogo, don't like them in my garden or car, boat!!!

lawthing 5 years ago

HEY whats wrong with letting cats run at large?

Without stray cats my Pit bull would be so bored....and hungry!

Mike Blur 5 years ago

Pogo, I've known Ian for 13-14 years, you hadn't heard of him until this morning. Who are you to judge someone's character whom you hadn't even met yet?

I'd invite you to join me in visiting Ian at his workplace next week, but I'm sure you're a real drag to be around.

Danimal 5 years ago

Yeah, I'll 2nd that VOR. I love my cat, but I can see where pogo is coming from. If you have gardens and work hard to maintain them the last thing you want is a negligent owners cat using your garden as its toilet. Additionally, Beans isn't wearing his collar with his ID tags. Glad they got their cat back, and I think it's a great story, but try to keep a tighter leash (or at least the required ID) on your animal. And the rest of you need to lighten up, if this story had somehow had tragic (instead of heartwarming) results you'd all be bagging on the owners for negligence.

VoiceOfReason 5 years ago

Maybe everyone should cut Pogo some slack. I'm guessing he landed on his stick wrong.

ocean 5 years ago

bong hits for beans!

RoeDapple 5 years ago

"Beans" the cat just spotted on CNN !

Whaddathinkadat dodo?

prospector 5 years ago

Sotomayor family, I love happy ending and continued good fortunes!

Peace

=================================

When Pogo isn't sitting on his porch screaming, " Hey you punks, get off my lawn!", he dreams of the days when the joke was, "What do you call a cat?...Target." That would just make his day. Dang laws about shooting in town. He thinks about "antifreeze meatballs", then realizes watching a cat dying an excruciating death in front of young children with glee would get himself busted, too. Our hope would be for him to have a rat, coon, or possum crawl under his porch and die. He would have the continual stimulation, possible directing his anger away from cats and kids, simply pondering, "What the hell is that smell?"

edjayhawk 5 years ago

Beans has a "deer in the headlight" look. I think he is still suffering from jet lag...

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Dodo - Our cat is an inside cat, but open a door and he makes a run for it. In 5 minutes he's scratching at the door wanting back in. Maybe, just maybe, this cat made a break for it in the process of the family going in or out and nobody missed him. Take your meds on time, there is a reason ...

redneck 5 years ago

Pogo has a point. Must have been a slow day in the news world. What, we didn't have another bar related shooting to report? I love animals just as much as the next person, but c'mon you guys. You have to admit this was a pretty lame story. I'll let you know the next time my neighbors cat catches a bird or does something amazing. LOL

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

I'd refute Pogo again, try to show him the error of his ways, but, well, you can't fix stupid. However, this has been great entertainment today. Can't wait for next Monday to see the "Breaking News" of the JW as our DA has the police round up all the scofflaw pet owners and their terroristic, child-maiming cats!

LocalMelody 5 years ago

this would make an awsome disney movie or something!

Tom Shewmon 5 years ago

I think this story should be made into a movie.

molantha 5 years ago

got ur underwear in a knot Pogo? you aren't the boss ruler of everything, and you don't deserve to be writing here. ur just too uptight to have a life, so get off ur computer and move ur lazy bones into someone else's business.

kawvalleybulldog 5 years ago

I bet the cat loved the 2-3 day drive to California in the back of the moving truck with no food or water in total darkness. The alleys on the East-side are over-run with cats. They are literally everywhere. I GUARANTEE you can't walk 10 steps in the east-side without seeing a loose/feral cat.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years ago

Go ahead and file a complaint, PoGo. I'm sure Branson et al could use a good laugh. Unclench, relax, go have a blackberry creme latte at Border's, they're delish!

molantha 5 years ago

LocalMelody 5 years ago

and i quote: Have your fun….but one day ole Beans might get whacked by a car as it crosses the road; might get eaten by a dog; beat up by another cat; poisoned by people who like to kill, etc., etc., etc.

If the owners really care about their pet, they'll take better care of the thing.

What kind of sick person posts this kind of thing? All this is is a heartwarming story! At least we get so have some good news instead of all the bad news Im so sorry that you couldnt be satisfied with that little bit of happyness other people have.

Pogo 5 years ago

mike_blur (Mike Blur) says…

Ian's a former coworker of mine and still a good friend; a man of immense talent on many levels. This is a great story. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What? That he darned near lost his kids' pet cat, Beans? Wonderful daddyo.....wonderful!

Take off the rose-colored glasses mike_blur and perhaps the blur will go away....

Mike Blur 5 years ago

The world needs more Ians and fewer Pogos.

smitty 5 years ago

Beans and the Sotomayor family must be living right and in tune with the positive enegies of the universe.

Pogo, do you work for the city(Olin)? If it is, she cats around frenquently on west lawrence cul-de-sacs.

Is Pogo the blond animal control officer that meets frequently on the lunch hour with an LPD officer to make out in public on a cul-de-sac at 6th and Monterrey or 6th and Waka,? they have also been spotted at the post office hanging off one another.

Or maybe Pogo thought someone spit in the beer!!

jonas_opines 5 years ago

"I really am sorry that someone whizzed in your Post Toasties this morning."

That's pretty much the way he always is. Either just hateful or just a troll like Lawrenceguy40. On a sad note, I guess we're feeding them pretty well today.

Pogo 5 years ago

Gee, Informed.....I guess all that video footage of the thing running across the street in broad daylight was just something the LJWorld made up? hahahhahahaah......

Oh....and let's not forget the video footage of the cat outside in it's, we trust, own yard?

If the cat is an "indoor cat"....how'd it get in a moving truck? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Christine Anderson 5 years ago

Pogo, you are an a**h@#!. Seriously, nothing had better happen to Beans, or we will all know exactly who did it! You go to church?? I'm laughing so hard, I'm gonna pee my pants.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

Sorry, Pogo, today's paper is not filled with stories about cats roaming neighborhoods and maiming children.

I really am sorry that someone whizzed in your Post Toasties this morning.

BTW, the Informed household cat IS an indoor cat. He has not been outside (other than in a carrier to the vet) since he was rescued as a little guy many years ago.

I still consider this a "feel good" story despite your attempts to derail it.

Informed:

The fact is that roaming cats ARE picked up "petted" by little kids in their yards and ARE scratched and bitten by these roaming felines. They're supposed to be under the control of the owner at all time per City ordinance. Why don't you want to protect little kids, Informed? And what about the poor little child whose precious own Beans was run over by car because the careless parent/owners let the thing run hither and yon? Ever see a child cry when told of the demise of their pet.

Truth be told...what emotional turmoil would Anita Sotomayor a.k.a. urlocalmomma be dealing with had this free roaming animal....friend and loved one to her children, be dealing with if the animal had not been found?

Had the cat been properly under the control of the owner, this entire event would not have ever happened.

This is no "feel good" "warm and fuzzy" newspaper article. It's an article about uncaring pet owners with a sense of entitlement and it's a warning to all pet lovers to keep their pets under their control at all times. There are no bad pets.....but there are tons of bad owners.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

lawrenceguy40 says… "So if Beans had scratched the eye out of your child while he was running the streets, you'd all be defending the owner's decision to break the law?"

But, Beans did not scratch the eye out of a child. You're asking people to speculate how they MIGHT react in a POSSIBLE scenario. Calls for speculation, Counselor.

Mostly, we're enjoying a "feel good" story in the JW. There were no headlines about overnight shootings or stabbings, so it's a great way to start the weekend.

lawrenceguy40 5 years ago

This is a clear violation of the law, caught on video. It should be prosecuted.

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

HOOMINZ Pogo...Bens haz krumy hoominz. Bravo Pogo! LOL

crusier 5 years ago

Pogo, does someone need to get you a leash!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!! Beans buddy testifies about Beans' people:

crusier 5 years ago

Pogo, please stop! I don't think anyone on here wants your opinion.

middlemgmt 5 years ago

Great story LJW. We have a cat in our neighborhood that runs around and everyone loves her. My kids are always excited to get to pet Bella!

Multidisciplinary, thanks for the laugh. I enjoyed the picture.

Pogo 5 years ago

3-202 animals prohibited to run at large; fines. (A) It shall be unlawful for any person to own or keep a dog or cat or other animal which runs at large in the City.

Pogo 5 years ago

Even before I was sitting at that table, "local_support", I'd be "...railing against unleashed casts....". I'll do it at your dinner table, too. I'll say it as I enter and leave church.....If I hear people talking about a wonderful kitty whilst shopping at Dillons, Weavers, The Merc, Hy-Vee....anywhere....without prompting...."KEEP THAT CAT IN YOUR YARD OR ON A LEASH>>>>" I'll call the lone City staffer who traps the blasted things and see when a trap can be set.....yesireebobcattail....keep those cats on a leash. It's the law and it's being neighborly to follow the ordinance.

local_support 5 years ago

Anytime there is a story like this I often wonder as I'm reading how many posts it will be before some negative nancy jumps on to start airing their grievances. In this case it was exactly 2 posts.

Pogo, if you were sitting around a table with a bunch of people in your community and someone told this story would you stand up and begin railing against unleashed cats as you have done so here? Or would you elect to remain quiet so as not to seem like such a curmudgeon?

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

Another amazing story to read. After Demi Moore saved the suicidal woman on Twitter, a Maryland girl saves a UK boy on Facebook. You should read what all happened, and how fast. Amazing, just amazing. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/facebook/5104882/Suicidal-teenager-saved-by-Facebook-friend.html

curious2 5 years ago

Just admit it pogo... you are a fan!

commentator_on_the_axe 5 years ago

I bet the DA's office is rushing out the door right now to supervise the investigation. Want to be sure this is prosecutable. Pogo, you're not successfully promoting the safety of animals, but you are making yourself a fine target for the troops.So you've accomplished something here.Think positive.

Angela Heili 5 years ago

You can file the complaint, but the neighbors may have given permission for the cat to be there. So then your complaint falls flat.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

Pogo say... " I shall file a complaint with the City Prosecutor's office relative to the clear fact that Sotomayor is flagrantly violating the City Ordinance!"

Wow! Just, wow! Guess you'll show them!

Pogo 5 years ago

Sure can....AND I can watch videos too! And, due to the last recently acquired skill, and having just now watched the video of the criminal cat, I shall file a complaint with the City Prosecutor's office relative to the clear fact that Sotomayor is flagrantly violating the City Ordinance! Thanks for the compliment!! Toodles....

curious2 5 years ago

Pogo:

Congratulations,

You can copy and paste!

Pogo 5 years ago

Wow! You're really teaching those young one's of your's some high class values. Here, in your own words from April 1, 2009 you note:

urlocalmomma (Anonymous) says…

I've always heard “never be the one to start the fight always be the one to finish it.” Too bad for the supposed “Colorado Victim” .

lionheart72661 5 years ago

And as for Beanies family, I am very happy for you and your adventurous kitty.

lionheart72661 5 years ago

Pogo you ARE an idiot. I officially declare this as "POGO IS AN IDIOT" day

Pogo 5 years ago

Excuse me?! A threat? Oh my word! What do you call this from poster: nschmi04 who notes:

"Pogo,

Shoot yourself.

Thanks."

You girls check with the Humane Society and they'll be certain to let you know about the need for the leash law and the reality that animals are mal treated every day in this town by silly owners who let their pets run at large. That was something that went on way back when....say from the mid 1970's backwards.....not no more.

Keep the cat under your control and you won't have any problems.

Are you teaching your children to be criminals, by the way?!

lionheart72661 5 years ago

wow you really are upset but you totally missed the point of the story. i suppose you would rather read about these idiots shooting each other. This was actually some good news for a change.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

I just checked my calendar and, sure enough, it really is "Pogo is a poophead" day. Go figure!

urlocalmomma 5 years ago

Beans is our cat and hopefully her story has made some people smile this morning. Pogo, maybe your last comment should be removed, I consider what you just blogged to be a threat! I guess we are reminded every day about what kind of sick people there are in the world we live in. We will be more careful with our curious pet in the future, I am going to let her and the kids know there are people like you out there. You better hope Beans doesn't hear about your garden! What's your address?

Angela Heili 5 years ago

hmmmm, maybe the people in Pogo's neighborhood should keep a close eye on their cats. "but one day ole Beans might get....poisoned by people who like to kill, etc., etc., etc."

Lots of anger, and hatred in those statements towards animals there Pogo. Not a good sign. Maybe sustainabilitysister is right. Maybe you should get some help.

Pogo 5 years ago

Keep your cat under control. :

3-202 ANIMALS PROHIBITED TO RUN AT LARGE; FINES. (A) It shall be unlawful for any person to own or keep a dog or cat or other animal which runs at large in the City. Knowledge or acquiescence by the owner or keeper is not an element of the offense. An animal shall not be deemed to be running at large if: (Ord. 7690) (1) The animal is firmly attached to a leash or chain under the physical control of its owner or keeper; or (2) The animal is within a structure or within a fence enclosure with the permission of the owner or keeper of the structure or fence enclosure; or (3) The animal has an operating electronic collar and is under the charge, care or control, of its owner or keeper who is operating an electronic pet containment system or electronic training system for the animal. Notwithstanding this subsection, all animals on the public right-of-way in the C-3 zoning district (downtown area) must be kept on a leash or chain under the physical control of its owner or keeper. (Ord. 7113) (4) The animal is a dog and, under the supervision of its owner or keeper, is using the City’s off-leash dog park in accordance with the City’s rules and regulations for any City off-leash dog parks. (Ord. 7358) (B) Any animal on property without the permission of the property owner shall be deemed to be an animal at large and the owner of such animal shall be in violation of this Section. (Ord. 7113) (C) Any cat that is on the property of its owner or keeper shall not be deemed to be running at large in the City. (Ord. 7113) (D) The provisions of this Section shall not apply to persons who have a physical disability or visual impairment, who are using service dogs, and can provide adequate documentation, upon demand of an animal control officer or law enforcement officer, that the service dog is an animal trained by an accredited institution which trains dogs for service work for the physically disabled or visually impaired. (Ord. 7113) (E) Any person found guilty of animal at large as defined herein shall be fined as follows: $30.00 for the first offense within a twelve (12) month period; $40.00 for the second offense within a twelve (12) month period; $60.00 for the third offense within a twelve (12) month period; and $100.00 for the fourth and subsequent offense(s) within a twelve (12) month period. The Municipal Judge shall have no authority to suspend the fine or any portion thereof of fine established by this Section. The fine shall be in addition to any applicable court costs or impoundment fees. The Humane Society or other impoundment facility shall not release an animal to an owner if the owner has failed to pay a fine or has failed to appear in municipal court for the adjudication of a violation of this Section. (Ord. 7113, Ord. 7690)

lionheart72661 5 years ago

we have 2 cats they're awesome... Pogo get a life

curious2 5 years ago

first... Pogo, do us all a favor and head on over to Bert Nash for an eval. maybe they'll send you home with some paxil or prozac...

Second... Congrats kids! lol

Love,

your aunt, uncle & cousins...

jonas_opines 5 years ago

Sorry Pogo, multiD wins, and you should back out while you have some shreds of dignity left.

Pogo 5 years ago

Have your fun....but one day ole Beans might get whacked by a car as it crosses the road; might get eaten by a dog; beat up by another cat; poisoned by people who like to kill, etc., etc., etc.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years ago

Multi, you did it again! Laugh out loud good.

FTW!!

redmoonrising 5 years ago

I guess it's true, there's one is every crowd. No matter how Beans got into the truck, it's great to hear she was found before she got lost in San Diego. Maybe she just wanted to try the big sand box out there. I'm glad this family has their pet back. It's tough having a pet missing and wondering if you'll ever see them again. Just think of the stories Beans will have to tell her friends!

nobody1793 5 years ago

"Pogo, Shoot yourself. Thanks."

If only someone would write an editorial about how we're all more civil to each other...

sourpuss 5 years ago

I don't know, crusier, something about Pogo's response and the responses to it made the story even better for me. Ah, like the howling chorus of Greek tragedy...

I'm glad the jet-setting kitty is back home safely and that the kids are happy.

sustainabilitysister 5 years ago

Pogo, may I add that laws are social constructs and we don't have to agree with them. People create them, people can change them and people can break them.

crusier 5 years ago

Pogo, thanks for ruining a perfectly good story. You now have made my day start off bad. Good Job!

sustainabilitysister 5 years ago

Yeah!!! Beans is home safely! Love these stories. Thanks ljworld for giving us a good feeling story. Pogo, I'm sorry you must be a very unhappy person. Please get some help.

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

Yes sirree folks, pop some corn, pull up a chair! Cat fight this morning, game this afternoon. Just what time will Katie's blood pressure spike? It's going to be a glorious Caturday!

tanaumaga 5 years ago

nschim04, after you. thanks.

edjayhawk 5 years ago

Pogo: Beans is a cat not a dog...

urlocalmomma 5 years ago

Pogo did you get some kitty poo in your cereal today?

nschmi04 5 years ago

Pogo,

Shoot yourself.

Thanks.

Drew_Carey 5 years ago

Hey Pogo, I've got some kittens, you want one?

50 pts for whoever goes over and changes Pogo's litter box. It must be full.

Graczyk 5 years ago

A little grouchy this morning, Pogo?

Pogo 5 years ago

Why was this cat running about "at large"? There is a City leash law for cats. It really needs to be seriously enforced.

I'm pretty fed up with "kitty" urinating and defecating in my gardens; howling at other cats and other "tom catting around".....and I don't really care to read about "...they're an outside pet....". Nonsense. Keep your cats inside please or within your view at all times. That's the law. Also, you're welcome to come on over and clean all the feces your cats leave.....

uploadtvsd 5 years ago