Archive for Friday, April 3, 2009

Police investigating burning object placed on east Lawrence street

April 3, 2009

Lawrence police are investigating a burning item found early Friday morning in the 1800 block of Miller Drive.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical collected and quickly extinguished the incendiary device, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl.

"It could have been an attempt at a molotov cocktail," Hadl said. "It didn't break, it was just burning in the middle of the street."

Authorities responded about 1:20 a.m. after a resident reported the flaming object.

As of Friday morning, police had not identified any suspects and were still gathering information, Hadl said.

Comments

introversion 5 years, 8 months ago

A molotov cocktail? really? how 'bout some high school kids doing something ignorant... that sounds more like it.

I know we've had a rash of unfortunate events here in town lately, but I don't think the revolutionaries are coming with their molotov cocktails.

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

I live on the 1800 Block of Miller, and I was up last night. I didn't see or hear anything. That's strange. It must have been at the far end of the stree by the park.

chihuahua2 5 years, 8 months ago

Thats funny. It could have been any thing. But i agree watch Billy Madison.

HermioneElliott 5 years, 8 months ago

The article says the object did not break so it must have been glass with leads to the speculation about the molotov cocktail. Apparently the fuse set something on fire. I read that in World War Two they used champaign bottles because of the dimple on the bottom. Improved the blast somehow. Maybe these guys used a Miller Lite.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 8 months ago

"Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical collected and quickly extinguished the incendiary device"

Hopefully they didn't use their best shoes. I'm still thinking Billy Madison a la flambe.

Ogallala_Kid 5 years, 8 months ago

If it is cow manure in a paper bag, is it a device?

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

I guess the fire & medical didn't fall for the ol' dog doo in the bag trick. Good for them!!!!!

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

Man,

I swear at 1:19 AM I saw a car on the 1700 block of Miller Drive heading in that direction. It had Shawnee tags on the license plate. The Topekans have now resorted to fire-poop bagging us I think.

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

Raider,

You live on that block and can't think of someone who might draw that kind of attention? I didn't see it, either, but that doesn't mean that I can't think of where it may have been found. There's only one persistent fighting pit bull breeder on the block that I know of.

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

gccs-

I agree with you. It is either the house and person you speak of, OR the house on the NW corner of 19th and Miller. This house was turned into a rental, and you know how fast that destroys a street. The owner of this house let his grandson move in there, and let's just say they make the pit bull breeder look like a boy scout. There's trash hanging out at that property all the time. The pit bull breeder just has a nasty property. They don't bother too many people other than we have to look at their filthy house and yard.

So, I'd be willing to bet one of those two properties are involved. I wish LPD would patrol that neighborhood more often before it goes to hell over there.

Sheila Couchman 5 years, 8 months ago

So which house IS the pit bull breeder?? I live close to there, too and didn't see or hear anything going on last nite. Hmmm...."you know how fast that destroys a street"...because of course people who rent are always bad. You must work for an insurance company who profiles people based on the fact they can't afford to buy a house. WHATEVER!

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

The pitbull breeder is in the middle of the block. You can't miss it becuse the property is just trashed. Take a stroll or a drive and you'll figure it out.

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

It's the one with frequent visits from LPD and Animal Control. He's keeping all the activity confined to a windowless shed in his back yard, so no one is going to see anything from the street. Animal Control won't go in without a warrant and LPD can't or won't get one. Rumor has it that someone at LPD tips him off when Animal Control is going to pay a visit. The other day we think we heard one of the puppies being killed by an adult. There was a commotion in the shed, a lot of noise, a scream, then silence. It's sickening.

I though he was gone for good after being picked up for shooting his gf's car at Long John Silver's last summer, but he's back. Someone is keeping him dipped in teflon.

Yeah, the green one at the corner is probably a meth house. They see so much traffic they should install a drive-through.

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

gccs you nailed it! He's also got 5 outstanding charges of animal cruelty against him from the Humane Soceity, but the DA won't prosecute them. I can't figure that one out either.

I saw Animal Control and LPD over there on Saturday when you heard the puppy screaming. They just looked over the fence, and did nothing. You could tell they wanted to, but they couldn't. Even though LPD was with them. It's a pretty sad situation.

And yes, the green house is the meth house. It's owned by a business owner here in town. Good luck getting those tennants kicked out though.

Griblit 5 years, 8 months ago

Wow. We have the same kind of creepy pit-bull breeder on our block, and they have the same ability to avoid prosecution. We call the cops (we being at least 6 other neighbors) when we WITNESS abuse, and the LPD and Animal Control DO NOTHING.

The 'Authorities' accept the tenant's word they have no more than the 4 dogs allowed by law, and don't take our word to the contrary. They do nothing about the abuse, nothing about the complaints.

This tenant even brings more dogs in late at night, and there's no investigation or follow-up, despite complaints from several homeowners on the block.

Anyone from the city want to comment on that?

WHY 5 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me of all the fun we used to have in High School.

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

Griblit - Call the Humane Society and talk to Midge. She might be able to help advise you. She's been great with us. We just need our DA to prosecute. Charges have been filed. I have no idea why he won't do it, but I will remember this whe he's up for re-election.

madameX 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the neighbors should try calling the landlord (not sure how you find out who that is, but I bet the city has some kind of records) and complaining about the tenant. Maybe the landlord doesn't care what goes on, but on the off chance that they do, I think they have the right to let the police on to the property, and most leases have a clause about illegal activity. Also, if the landlord knows what's going on and not doing anything about it, as neighboring homeowners you might be able to threaten them with some kind of civil action, which in turn might get them to do something about the tenant, even if you can't get the DA to prosecute.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like these posters are the ones who might of set the burning whatever in the street so to draw attention to their pit bull rants.

Reminds me of a film I saw where this guy across the street didn't like the people next door. So he would go out and kill their friends and then dump their dead body in or about the people next doors house; in the shed, under the foundation and in the woods behind their house and then call the police and complain about the smell. Lol.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Peace: So, you're thinking they're gluing dogs together over there? Why would they do that?

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

The guy's grandfather owned the house until he died last year. Now I imagine the father owns the house. It's all in the family and they know what's going on over there.

Pits can be great dogs. I think banning a dog breed is an unfortunate legal shortcut adopted by ignorant or fearful officials. We're not complaining about the dogs, we're complaining about how they're treated and what they're used for. Staging dog fights is barbaric.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

Not to mention gluing them together!!! Peace needs to take a class on reproduction.Running around the yard yelping....Come on Peace!!!!

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

igby = You're an idiot.

The neighbors are not only sick of the way they treat their dogs, but we're also tried of the way they keep their property. It's literally the trashiest property on street. It sticks out. And gccs is right, the father owns the property and let's his kids live in it and destroy it. The owner also is a long-time city employee. There are no coincidences.

The meth house up on the corner is also a case where the grandfather owns the house and doesn't care what his grankids are doing over there.

LPD turns a blind eye while the whole street becomes more blighted by this trash.

LadyJ 5 years, 8 months ago

Raider--"but I will remember this when he's up for re-election". Unfortunately someone has to run against him first. If I remember correctly nobody else ran last time. I was all set to vote for whoever would run, but alas nobody did.

misslawrence 5 years, 8 months ago

It is the green house on the corner,and the grandson is of Chaney Plumbing,.,,.BUT DON'T HOLD THAT AGAINST CHANEY PLUMBING!!!! I was coming down the street and saw all the cops,but that's nothing new on that side of town,,OR 19TH STREET.....

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

The green house on the corner is the meth house. The tan house in the middle of the block is the pitbul house. They killed another dog tonight. They were fighting pits in the back yard, and one was killed. Police showed up, along with animal control. Animal control took the dead dog away, and all they did was issue a citation. This guy now have SIX charges for animal cruelty, and still isn't in jail. This is a municipal court issue and not the DA. I don't understand why the city won't prosecute this (&#@^. He's out roaming free tonight after basically murdering a defenseless animal around 6pm this evening.

Staci Dark Simpson 5 years, 8 months ago

Makes ya wonder why they don't prosecute this guy! That is pathetic. Maybe we all need to gather there and run them out. My mother in law lives behind them on maple lane and has dogs and so does her neighbor. They had to request a taller fence built because their (annoying neighbor) dogs kept escaping into their yard. Ridiculous. Sounds like I am going to have to watch my son and nieces and nephews more closely when visiting over there.

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

Staci you might want to check your facts. Your mother-in-law didn't request a taller fence. Her neighbor built one himself. He also mows her yard, and checks on her and her husband quite often. They are quite good friends, even though his dog jumped the fence into their yard from time to time. In fact, he was over there visiting yesterday. I'm sure she would enjoy knowing you're telling falsehoods about her on the internet. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to discuss it further.

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe we should call KCTV. They like embarrassing public officials.