Archive for Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pickets go down at KC’s Arrowhead Stadium

April 1, 2009, 8:13 a.m. Updated April 1, 2009, 11:14 a.m.

— The cement finishers' union went on strike Wednesday morning, bringing an unexpected halt to construction at Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums.

By Wednesday afternoon, however, the pickets were down as negotiations continued.

Mike Smith, chairman of the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority, said he was awakened about 4 a.m. Wednesday with word of the action. He said he hoped to resolve the dispute and resume the $600 million renovation project on Thursday.

Smith said about 14 cement finishers had idled more than 200 workers. For several weeks, there had been worries that carpenters and ironworkers might strike the project, putting in jeopardy the home schedule of the NFL Kansas City Chiefs. But they both reached agreement on Tuesday evening with a builders group, a few hours before their contracts were to expire.

The action by the cement finishers was entirely unexpected.

Comments

Bud Stagg 6 years, 4 months ago

Greed is a horrible thing. If you don't like working somewhere for the pay negotiated, get a new job. Negotiate this stuff before a project begins.

If you don't like the pay, don't start the project. I'm sure there are plenty of guys at the union who are happy just to have a job right now, let alone extorting their employers for more money.

Don't bring a whole project that could affect thousands of people to a halt over a few dollars an hour. I would never again use an employee who would do this and damage my company performance and ability to meet it's goals. Selfish and greedy.

Dayle Hodges 6 years, 4 months ago

Neither one of you have any idea what you are talking about. The cement masons were asking for a VERY SMALL increase and were willing to suffer a few days pay in this horrible economy to be compensated fairly for the very hard, labor intensive work that they do. I am grateful that a settlement was negotiated was negotiated so quickly.

Dayle Hodges 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I know I repeated myself..........

Bob Forer 6 years, 4 months ago

No more selfish and greedy than the six bucks they charge for a coke at the stadium.

maxcrabb 6 years, 4 months ago

"The action by the cement finishers was entirely unexpected."

That sentence made me laugh.

Dayle Hodges 6 years, 4 months ago

Me too, since it's been discussed for weeks......

CrazyDiamond 6 years, 4 months ago

..."The cement masons were asking for a very small increase and were willing to suffer a few days pay in this horrible economy to be compensated fairly for the very hard, labor intensive work that they do"

So they didn't know what they were being paid BEFORE they started the job? Perhaps if the work is too hard or labor intensive for them, they could find a new line of work?

BrianR 6 years, 4 months ago

I've been in Kansas long enough that when I saw the headline, I immediately pictured people with garish signs proclaiming, "God Hates Aggregate."

Dayle Hodges 6 years, 4 months ago

Union contracts are negotiated years in advance. The wages offered to these workers have not kept up with the economy. These workers are very skilled and it takes years to become a good finisher.