Archive for Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No comparison

September 30, 2008

To the editor:

Many people have made the comparison between Barack Obama and Abraham Lincoln. The comparison has also been made between Obama and Robert Kennedy, who ran for president in 1968. Like Abraham Lincoln, Obama is a very tall, lanky young senator from Illinois. Like Bobby Kennedy, he is campaigning for "change" during the time of a very controversial foreign war. But, when looking deeper at the moral issues of the day, Obama does not stand up to these two great men.

Abraham Lincoln and Robert Kennedy were great men because they stood up for the unpopular moral issues of their day. In the days of Lincoln and Kennedy, a black person was considered less than human and therefore denied certain human rights. In today's society, it is the child in the womb who is denied the most basic human right, the right of life. Not only is Obama in favor of allowing abortion at any point of the nine months of pregnancy, he has voted against Illinois legislation that would protect the life of a child who survives a failed abortion. Obama, with his voting record on abortion, does not compare with Lincoln or Kennedy in standing up for the basic human dignity of the American citizen.

John Rasmussen,
Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 6 years, 3 months ago

Uh, any point in the 9 month period? I don't think so. In fact, I don't believe he has any plans on changing the criteria of time that is required at all. In fact, he does not seem to have a particularly strong stance at all in regards to abortion, as it is not a primary focus of the American people right now. The two hot topics are the economy and foreign relations, with the economy playing a major role in that. I would advise you to check your facts before posting letters like this to the paper, as it only proves the parable "Better to keep one's mouth closed and let others think you a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it.".

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

You are making this up. While Obama may be for choice I believe the truth is being stretched quite a lot. I have no doubt in my mind that Obama will preach abstinence to his children as parents do. Again while Obama may support choice nowhere has he stated that abortion is an option for his family.Abstinence is at the top of the list of Planned Parenthood among the suggestions that prevent pregnancy. Education in birth control is the most logical approach to deter pregnancy.In my mind it is the so called right to life that promote abortion because this sector is constantly placing the idea in the headlines across the country. While abstinence may be the most desirable means for our children, promoting abstinence as the only means to prevent pregnancy is simply not truthful.

rtwngr 6 years, 2 months ago

Merrill, this is not being made up. There was legislation introduced in the Illinois legislature that would allow an infant medical care in the event of a botched abortion. This is when the child is born alive. Obama didn't just vote present on this. He voted NO! Therefore the child is left lying on a gurney, exposed to the elements to suffer and die. Do your research.What you people don't get is we are talking about human rights. I can assure you that that acquiring the vote for a black person in Selma, Alabama was not at the top of the list for voters across America in 1960 either. Additionally, don't lecture us about truth. If you want truth take a look at a video of an abortion in progress. Ponder for a second what takes place in a partial birth abortion where the child is delivered in breach position with everything but the head exposed. Scissors or another sharp instrument is inserted at the base of the head through the brain stem and then a suction tube is inserted to remove the brains and collapse the head. How about that for truth.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

You know, sometimes I don't understand how people can be against abortion (because it takes a life, babies have rights), but also be against gay marriage (which doesn't give one rights that others already have). And outlawing abortion would take away the rights the woman has to make a decision for her body. How many other people voted No on that bill besides Obama? probably quite a few. But only Obama is running for president. I find it scarier that Palin doesn't believe in abortion at all.

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

There are problems and contradictions with both sides on this issue, as far as I can see.Right wing folks seem very concerned about allowing children to be born, but much less concerned with their lives after that. And, wouldn't a "right to life" position logically imply an anti-war one?Left wing folks are anti-war but pro-abortion (choice). On the other hand, they're much more concerned with the lives of people already born and living.It's a grey area, and neither side makes much sense to me. The best I can come up with morally is that viability is a logical place to draw a distinction.Pre-viability, a fetus is more like a part of the mother's body, and afterwards more like a separate life.

rtwngr 6 years, 2 months ago

Well said, Marion Lynn!Mom_of_3, how can you, a mother, put gay rights on the same level as the right to life? I find it incredulous that someone such as yourself thinks that the right to be married to a same sex partner has the same moral weight as the murder of and innocent child. This is a prime example of what our society has descended to.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

Look at all the men who think they have a uterus. This is one of the most pathetic LTE's I've ever seen. Stupid comparisons like this can only come from an absolute idiot. I'm not surprised that some of you posters agree with him.

rtwngr 6 years, 2 months ago

Confrontation, no I don't have a uterus. That doesn't mean that I cannot speak out against infanticide. Just because I'm not black does not mean that I can't speak out against injustice toward minorities either. Really, jafs? Grey area? So an infant that has an autonomic nervous system in the womb, that can feel, taste, move, has a heartbeat, and can sense light is just an extension of the host body like a parasite? Thanks for clearing that up for me. Forget what I said about human rights. I must have been on drugs or something.