Archive for Friday, September 26, 2008

Mama’s milk ice cream cone, anyone?

September 26, 2008

— Mooove over, Holsteins. PETA wants world-famous Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream to tap nursing moms, rather than cows, for the milk used in its ice cream.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is asking the ice cream maker to begin using breast milk in its products instead of cow's milk, saying it would reduce the suffering of cows and calves and give ice cream lovers a healthier product.

The idea got a cool reception Thursday from Ben & Jerry's officials, the company's customers and even La Leche League International, the world's oldest breast-feeding support organization, which promotes the practice - for babies, anyway.

Comments

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

And to think, the PETA people have always been so rational up until now.

acg 6 years, 2 months ago

This is gross and weird. I know that mother's milk is best for babies, but ick. It doesn't taste that good and its kind of watery and it's nowhere near as yummy as cow's milk. Whoever, above, said it would be expensive was dead on. When I had my daughter 3 years ago, after I was finished breast feeding instead of drying myself up, I sold my breast milk to this dude from OP who had a mother's milk fetish. He used it in everything and poured some in his bathwater. I don't know what else he did with it and I didn't want to know. He was a seriously weird dude, but he paid me $450 an oz. for it. Ya'll know how much an oz is? About a shot glass worth. I made $7000 off that weirdo in just a few months.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

ACG, I find your comment more interesting then the article. How on earth did you find that guy or he find you? Hey I'll be having another one someday down the line, share the wealth!! That's really crazy. My daycare lady hated it when I breast fed, she always said breast milk was greasy! While I was working I had to drink Mothers Milk Tea to help my milk stay abundant so a Mothers Milk Ice Cream Cone to help produce milk instead of tea would have been nice. That tea was disgusting!!

acg 6 years, 2 months ago

Well I met him thru a friend of mine that used to strip at the dirty bird. She was his favorite gal and he would come up from OP twice a week to watch her dance. She got pregnant and he bought her milk from her for a while. Then she wanted to stop producing so she could go back to her job and she knew I was still making milk so she asked me if I was interested. I wrestled with it for several days because she told me he was a seriously creepy dude, but then my car broke down and I needed a new timing chain. So you gotta do whatchya gotta do, right?

tollef 6 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know how making the ice cream works using mother's milk? Do you put ice on the nipple and then Squeeze? I am sure pleanty of people would move to Vermont to take this job.

cds 6 years, 2 months ago

Titty twister I scream.Mommas purple nurple.

cds 6 years, 2 months ago

Lol, I wondered when someone was going to come up with new flavors autie.Lemon mammory pie.

Danielle Brunin 6 years, 2 months ago

So if you pumped breast milk at work to sell, would it be considered a second job? I mean, you'd have to or your milk supply would go down, along with your trade. As for me, my milk always tasted too garlicky to make good ice cream. Now a delicious alfredo, that would be a different story. "Rodentgirl's cheesy breastmilk alfredo- just like mom used to make."

tollef 6 years, 2 months ago

Upon thinking about it I do NOT want a mama's milk ice cream cone. However I would be willing to watch them make a Mama's milk shake!!

K_dub 6 years, 2 months ago

I had a friend who had some extra breast milk in her freezer and they used it to make home made ice cream. She said it was the best ice cream she's ever had!Pretty hilarious!

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

the sheer volume of breast milk needed in incomprehensible. and what in the hell are they planning on using as sources??do the mothers have to go through some sort of screening process or am i likely to end up with an addiction to crack? it would have to be like donating plasma or sperm, only completely flippin crazy! this is one of the most obscure articles ever.and i would not eat ice cream from a random human's boob just as i would not BBQ and eat a human's ribs, etc. absolutely bent, this idea

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

wow thats an interesting correlation i never realized before! music festivals= organicwhat a goof.acg.......... we need to talk. i will commission my baby's mom's milk for $450 an oz. any day!! WORK WOMAN!!! WORK!!! haha no shed definitely be down for some easy money like that.i cant even really believe that, but whatever! $450/oz.!!!

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

HIV can definitely be transmitted from breast milk to both children and adults, regardless of sores in their mouths.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 2 months ago

Ohhhh, sound's good can the cone be made of umbilical cord and sprinkle some afterbirth on that. Deeelish!

bad_dog 6 years, 2 months ago

Can AIDS be transmitted in this manner, eg if the end user had an open cut in their mouth?Irrespective of the risk of drug/disease transmission, PETA really stepped in it with this idiocy.

hail2oldku 6 years, 2 months ago

classclown (Anonymous) says: Imagine a trip through their dairy.Will they be using organic free range women?-------------------------------------------------------------------------They would be making the rounds to all of the music festivals for that. Imagine the line for the milking stand at Wakarusa Fest.

classclown 6 years, 2 months ago

Imagine a trip through their dairy.Will they be using organic free range women?

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Ah, another wonderful moment when I realize that my rational response (no difference) is totally blown away by my emotional and irrational one (uncontrollable shuddering). . . . at least I'm getting better at recognizing it when it happens. . . .

imastinker 6 years, 2 months ago

I'd say you got enough for a new car and a new timing chain!What a creepy story though.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

Keep in mind that expectant mothers are not required to have an HIV test. This is absolutely insane. A mother stands at 20-30% chance of transmitting HIV to her unborn if she's not receiving treatment. There's no guarantee that treatment will prevent the transmission of HIV, but the risk is significantly reduced. In the meantime, let the PETA'ers share human breast milk as often as they like.

gr 6 years, 2 months ago

So if PITA thinks using cow's milk in ice cream causes "suffering of cows and calves", how do they think it won't cause the same in moms?

KsTwister 6 years, 2 months ago

Ridiculous to even publish this as news.