Archive for Friday, September 19, 2008

Beasley fined $50,000: Miami rookie admits involvement

September 19, 2008

— Miami Heat rookie Michael Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Thursday after acknowledging that he was involved in an incident involving teammate Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Darrell Arthur at the Rookie Transition Program this month.

The NBA said Beasley, the No. 2 overall pick out of Kansas State, originally failed to cooperate with the league investigation of the matter. The Heat said Beasley eventually chose to reveal that he was part of the incident.

Chalmers and Arthur, former Kansas University teammates, were fined $20,000 apiece last week after being banished from the rookie symposium. They were found in a room at the resort where the event was taking place with two women - which violated NBA policy for the event. Security at the resort said the scent of marijuana was detected, but no drugs or drug paraphernalia were found, and Chalmers and Arthur insisted they were not using any illegal substances.

Beasley's involvement in the incident is not clear. He filed papers to dissolve the relationship with his agent, Joel Bell, last week, and was not available for comment Thursday.

"While we are disappointed with Michael's involvement, we are pleased that he chose to come forward and stand with his teammate and accept the consequences of his actions," Heat president Pat Riley said in a statement. "We are hopeful that both Michael and Mario have learned from this experience and we will have no further comment on the subject."

None of the three players will be suspended by the league. Chalmers and Arthur will have to repeat the symposium, which teaches incoming NBA players how to handle the on- and off-court rigors of life in the league, next summer.

Comments

LiberalDude 5 years, 10 months ago

Beasley should have to repeat the symposium next year, too!

kmat 5 years, 10 months ago

TOB - can you post links. Couldn't find any pictures. I don't doubt these guys get high (few in Lawrence don't), but I think your claim of their being photos of them smoking aren't true. Back it up please. thank you.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, gotta say that the addition of a hated K-Stater doesn't make me care any more. Dumb for them to get caught, but whatever, they'll all survive this, careers intact and likely largely untarnished.

kmat 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks TOB. You never know if pics are photoshopped, but that looks pretty incriminating.

countrygirl 5 years, 10 months ago

Was Beasley flushing, or was he stalling someone at the door while Chalmers and Arthur were flushing?

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

You know there is a really good story somewhere that we don't know about

hail2oldku 5 years, 10 months ago

Actually, and as much as I hate to say this, Beasley may have saved Mario & Durl's collective arses. He may have been "the flusher" getting rid of evidence and then by failing to cooperate with the investigation saved them from being penalized for anything besides having guests in their room.

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

I guess we now know where Chalmers and Arthur got their weed. It's about time that coward Beasley steps up and admits to this.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 10 months ago

"That is science."Excellent turn of phrase.

acg 5 years, 10 months ago

Okay, I enjoy a good j once in a while myself. I can't see the NBA ever expanding to amsterdam ( I know that was a joke, btw) because every time I smoke up, you'd couldn't drag me out onto a court to run up and down it for a freakin' hour. I'm all, where's the couch and the cheetos? I know weed's illegal and all, but is this really a big deal? It's not as if it's a performance enhancing drug. To me, if a stoner can be a stoner and still have the energy to play killer bball, more power to him.