Archive for Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Palin can handle ‘the Left’

September 17, 2008

One question ABC's Charles Gibson neglected to ask Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin during his interview with her last week was this: You are young enough to be John McCain's daughter. Twenty-eight years separate you. Will you be able to walk into the Oval Office and say, "Mr. President, you are wrong about this and here is what you should do instead"?

Palin says she will focus on energy, government reform and helping families with special-needs children if she becomes vice president but to what extent will she consult with McCain on other issues and how much influence will she have on his decisions?

Given that McCain has plucked her from relative obscurity, will she feel confident enough to tell a President McCain things he may not want to hear? There are already some issues on which Palin disagrees with McCain, such as global warming, drilling in ANWR and stem cell research. How hard would she push her own beliefs?

The last vice president to experience a large age gap between himself and the president was Dan Quayle, who was two weeks shy of his 42nd birthday when he was sworn in in 1989. President George H.W. Bush was 64. Their 22-year gap is close to the 28-year difference between McCain and Palin, but unlike the McCain-Palin relationship, Quayle had known his running mate for a number of years before he was selected. Quayle also had experience as a senator and congressman.

Quayle's youthful looks and exuberance at being selected invited the media to mock him, which they never tired of through his four years in office. In a telephone conversation, I asked Quayle if he thought Palin could deliver her own straight talk to McCain. He said, "I believe she can. She is strong and not reluctant to express her opinion." Asked whether he thinks Palin is prepared to be vice president, Quayle said, "By January 20, she's going to have a lot more knowledge than she has today. Every single day she will gain valuable experience working with John McCain."

Quayle also said every criticism leveled at Palin was leveled "almost verbatim at me." He said, "People who supported us were called by the media and our opponents 'dumb' and 'mean-spirited.'" He added, "The liberal media are scared of effective conservatives."

Recalling the "running battle (Michael) Dukakis and I had for two weeks in 1988," Quayle said, "I just hope they continue to go after her." He noted that when Dukakis kept attacking him, Dukakis' poll numbers declined.

The left is getting desperate. It thought this election was in the bag for Barack Obama and his legions of extremist acolytes, such as ACORN, MoveOn.org, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers. Now, with some polls showing the public is paying attention and may not be as enamored with Obama and his far-left ideas and associations as in the early days of the campaign, when it was seduced by his rhetorical skills, people may be experiencing buyer's remorse.

The New York Times, which is declining in circulation, revenue and influence, is raging against the dying of its once bright light. On Saturday, it carried an editorial and two columns critical of Palin. On Sunday, there were two anti-Palin columns and one attacking McCain for "Making America Stupid." The week before, the Times carried five anti-Palin stories on its front page.

The left-leaning Huffington Post carried the rant of a blogger named Michael Seitzman. He mocked Palin for mispronouncing nuclear ("nucular," she pronounced it, which is better than Jimmy Carter's "nuk-e-yer"). Seitzman proceeded to call anyone who likes McCain, Palin and President Bush "an idiot ... mentally ill, mentally disabled, or mentally disturbed." Name-calling is the final refuge of the desperate.

This has been the Left's view of the Right since the Right decided it would no longer roll over and accept whatever the Left wanted to do. Anyone who doesn't agree with the Left's belief in higher taxes, bigger government, less personal responsibility and the use of the courts as a cultural wrecking ball is, by definition, qualified to be institutionalized.

The Left is concerned that all of its work to create a liberal version of "The Stepford Wives" may be unraveling. It doesn't know how to handle Sarah Palin, but that's OK. It has become increasingly clear that Sarah Palin knows how to handle them.

- Cal Thomas is a columnist for Tribune Media Services.

Comments

beatrice 5 years, 7 months ago

Gaurdian: "My belief about the Patriot Act is that the only people who fear it are the one's who should."And those people are called "Americans."

BuffyloGal 5 years, 7 months ago

"So what exactly was the problem with providing them with an address? Is that an issue only because it happened to you?" - only because I had just moved here and was staying in a hotel. A hotel is not an address. The executive apartment we later rented for a month was. No more information was needed for them, just more money. A key to a door is just a key. Money was all the difference. I could have told them a coworker's address and they would have been fine with that, as long as I didn't tell them it wasn't living there. Explain to me how someone who is new to an area and working in a less than high-paying job is supposed to meet the bank's demands. It is an issue to me because it is illogical and I can't believe it is a policy no one questions. "Terrorists never hijacked jets and crashed them into the World Trade Center until 9/11/01 either. Just because they haven't done something yet doesn't mean it won't happen." - Just because they did it once doesn't mean it will happen again either. Your point? Meanwhile thousands are dying in this country from inadequate roads and sh** health care. As long as they can keep texting while driving, everything's fine, but be sure to keep the populace paranoid about the "what if" instead of the "right now"."Seems to me like there's an awful lot of whining over nothing, except for the fact it's associated with the Bush Administration." - Nothing? Where have you been for the past 8 years? I won't cut and paste as many have before but there is a lot wrong with this country and the hope is we can fix it in time to still keep our heads above water. "I truly wish you folks would go live under a facist regime so you would know the difference." - and you have? Do tell us of the experience. I'm curious to know where in the world this fascist regime is hiding.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

logic,I agree there are things worth fighting for in principle. I've certainly fought my share of those battles. My belief about the Patriot Act is that the only people who fear it are the one's who should. Having said that, I understand you have your reasons for opposing it, I haver mine for not. So, as stated here by others before, we shall agree to disagree.

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

Guardian,I don't know if my phones are tapped, and I've never had the Patriot Act directly affect my life in any noticable way.HOWEVERThere are some things that are worth defending on principle, rather than because it affect my tiny little corner of the world. I am lucky because I happen to not be a member a group that has been identified as an appropriate target for profiling. Although I do wonder sometimes what kind of information is being stored and by whom regarding some of the web sites I have visited. Not pro-terrorism sites or anything like that, but the problem with the Patriot Act and the mentality behind that kind of law is that even seemingly innocuous things can bring unjust attention on you. Especially if you belong to a group that is deemed worthy of profiling.Furthermore, I understand that the promise of obtaining valuable, "life-saving information" is the primary argument for things like the Patriot Act. But I can't buy into selling out my core values for a bit of potential safety. At some point, you have to ask yourself: "at what point does what I'm protecting become less valuable because of the amount I'm sacrificing to attain said protection?"One of my favorite concepts is the idea that defending against the erosion of our rights is the most important when it's the hardest. It's times like these--when the world is full of chaos--that our rights are the most important and worthy of defense. Remember how so many people said after 9/11 that we wouldn't let the terrorists change our way of life? Well, we certainly still have baseball and shopping (sort of), but I think it's pretty safe to say that the terrorists have succeeded in creating a major shift in the American way of life, even if it's not the shift they had envisioned.By the way, I'm not saying we live under a facist regime, or anything comparable. I will again refer you to my original comment, which stated that some of the policies under the Bush-led right-wing are facist-like.I'll close by saying that I had 2 cousins and a brother-in-law deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan in the past 5 years, so I am certainly aware of what's at stake. It's insulting to imply that I don't care abou the lives of those men and women just because I don't think the Patriot Act is an appropriate answer to the current world climate.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

So what exactly was the problem with providing them with an address? Is that an issue only because it happened to you? Terrorists never hijacked jets and crashed them into the World Trade Center until 9/11/01 either. Just because they haven't done something yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Seems to me like there's an awful lot of whining over nothing, except for the fact it's associated with the Bush Administration.I truly wish you folks would go live under a facist regime so you would know the difference.

Koolaid 5 years, 7 months ago

Jim Jones has nothin compared to our chosen one. Obama is the savior, the worlds first citizen. Chuck Norris has no power compared to Barak "the Chosen one" Obama. Sarah Palin has cooties!!John McCain is Old!!Barak Obama doesn't need to tell anyone his plan, he has it worked out and will reveal it when he takes office. Trust him!! Vladimir Putin does! Ahmadenajad of Iran does!! Hamas, Hezbollah, Al-Qaida and the Taliban know that Barak is better than Bushhitler or McCain. All this fussing over a female. Get over it, we all know that women have smaller brains and cannot compete with men. We have affirmative action to prove it. Why would you elect someone with a little brain? Barak is loved by our friends in Russia and by terrorists all over the world. Remember, Sarah has cooties and a tiny little brain.Oh Yeah!

BuffyloGal 5 years, 7 months ago

So, on your logic, banks don't follow the Patriot Act rendering it useless anyway. Too bad I wasn't illegal or I could have gone to one of them instead.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 7 months ago

"One cannot open a bank account without an address, even if one is trying to open said bank account to transfer money and get a mortgage. No address, no account."NOt true, illegal aliens get them all the time from banks that cater specifically to illegal aliens.Yes it is against the law and for good reason.Lots of people got these loans for houses with NO documentation, again illegal.The banks did not care then, and the CEOs got their golden parachute, and the taxpayer citizen gets screwed.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 7 months ago

Having moved here from out of town, I can share a story about the Patriot Act. One cannot open a bank account without an address, even if one is trying to open said bank account to transfer money and get a mortgage. No address, no account. Period. No account, no address was my argument. Is this logical to you Guardian? That's you Patriot Act in action. Providing patriots with more red tape.Is it logical for small children to have to remove their shoes when going through airport security? Homeland Security thinks so. How many terrorists have smuggled a bomb inside the sandal of a five-year-old? Fascist indeed.

ExxonMcCain 5 years, 7 months ago

but can she handle the "right?"

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

Tell me logic, how many of your phone calls have been tapped by the feds? How many times has your life been disrupted by the Patriot Act? Which is more important to you, obtaining information that could save the lives of who knows how many soldiers or innocent civilians or making sure some gutless murdering terrorist, who made conscious choices in his life, gets treated with kid gloves? Facist? Riiiiiiiiiight!

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at Windlass.Your post is a bit on the cryptic side...

Windlass 5 years, 7 months ago

logic - Couldn't help but notice your little propoganda piece there. The Swiftboat tactics are a thing of the past now. The country is suffering on a scale it has never known, not even with the Great Depression. Defend her, please.

JohnBrown 5 years, 7 months ago

In Palin's 1st interview she said she didn't hesitate when asked to be VP. In her interview on Fox News her reply to the same question was she called a family meeting and took a vote before deciding. So, which is it?

RobertMarble 5 years, 7 months ago

looks like the lefties are getting desperate. rioting at the rnc, exploiting racial divisions, extending voting rights to convicted felons- now hacking emails? no wonder hussein obama has slipped so far. those are rather extreme tactics, even for a democrat.

swan_diver 5 years, 7 months ago

Time to take Cal Thomas off life support...

slang4d 5 years, 7 months ago

Tom Shewmon (Tom Shewmon) says:I have an idea:::but I can't say it, like most things I can't say in the confines of this dynamic reader comment forum.Are you crazy liberals loaning your paranoia-inducing kool-aid to the republicans? Stop that.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 7 months ago

The next Princess Diana? Are you kidding? When was this country interested in royalty being in charge? Perhaps you are suggesting she photographs well and lets people forget about the troubles her country is facing while they dream of getting their hair cut to look like hers. Of course for Palin it is the $375 Japanese eyeglasses.

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

"logicGiven the nature of the beast we are dealing with, yes"-----------------Sorry, but the nature of the threat doesn't change the nature of the tactics chosen to deal with the threat.You may feel that facist-like tactics are the only way to deal with the threat appropriately. That doesn't mean they aren't facist-like.

feeble 5 years, 7 months ago

hacked. right.They guessed her yahoo mail password. I don't know how they discovered her email address (gov.palin@yahoo.com), probably by doing some kind of query on yahoo.com addresses containing palin, but discovered that she had two security questions (what is your birthday, what is your zipcode) which can easily be discovered by a quick google search or trip to wikipedia. They guessed correctly that Palin's password was her Wasillia, AK zip code. Her zip code.I'm sorry, but if you think using your zip code as a password is a good idea, you have no business being on deck to POTUS. Even my 85 year-old grandmother knows better.The icing on the cake is that she was using a personal account to hide official state business. That's corruption of the highest order.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 7 months ago

Right madmike, had someone hacked The Chosen One's email, cnn, msnbc, Charlie Gibson, Katie Couric, Brian Williams, New York Times, LA Times, Al Franken, Michael Moore, The Democratic Congress, Maureen Dowd, Howard Dean, The View ladies, Matt Damon, Barbara Streisand and on and on and on would be making it the biggest scandal since the founding of America.I have an idea.........but I can't say it, like most things I can't say in the confines of this dynamic reader comment forum.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

logic---Given the nature of the beast we are dealing with, yes.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 7 months ago

And Bill Clinton is voting Republican. He has info to pass on to Sarah about the Oval Office.

MacHeath 5 years, 7 months ago

and...this exactly is what Thomas was talking about.Keep spouting your vitriol. You are doing exactly as expected, and the result will be that McCain will be the next president. The party's over, stupid.

ExxonMcCain 5 years, 7 months ago

madmike (Anonymous) says: I agree Asbestos, also i see that some leftist hacked into Palin's personal email account. I suppose some of you leftists here see nothing wrong with that, however!!! Had that happened to Obama, you would be raising hell. Hopefully, the hacker will be prosecuted in Alaska, where he faces some real time.Would a cop making up fraudulant charges here face time too???

LiberalDude 5 years, 7 months ago

Cal Thomas is all that is wrong with this country. He is on the same level as Limbaugh in my book.

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

10/10? Gotta be something like that.

Orwell 5 years, 7 months ago

"Name-calling is the final refuge of the desperate," says Cal Thomas thereby proving his own desperation.

budwhysir 5 years, 7 months ago

I cant understand what everyone is talking about. I tuned into her speach the other night and I think she is going to be the next princes diana. Maybe none of you have seen this interview. I think it was Satruday night on SNL

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

Guardian,My exact words were:"...for failing to agree with the many facist-like tactics and policies of the right under George Bush"I am not labeling the right "facist". I am saying that there are policies that the right has supported under Bush that are facist in nature.For example, the policy on torture, parts of the Patriot Act, the policy of domestic spying.Are you denying that these tactics have facist undertones?

jhwk2008 5 years, 7 months ago

madmike says:"I agree Asbestos, also i see that some leftist hacked into Palin's personal email account."The same one she was using for official state business? Hope there's nothing too confidential in there.

madmike 5 years, 7 months ago

ASBESTOS 5 years, 7 months ago

Be, the ladies on "The View" all had wet panties over Obama. I saw a side by side of what the ladies attitude was wehn Obama was on the show, they actually "cooed" and told him how sexy he (Obama) was.When McCain showed up so did the PMS B*647s! What a bunch of angry women they were when they actually "confronted" McCain.This was nothing more thatn another liberal Media SHow in the tank for Obama. Thew were just plain rude ot McCain.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 7 months ago

BTW, LJWOrld, why was there no coverage of Kathy's stupid statment?Media Bias comes home?

beatrice 5 years, 7 months ago

Good thing Palin can handle the Left, because John McCain couldn't even handle the ladies on The View.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 7 months ago

She does fine with the "left" is it she in that tank MSM and all their "sliming" and unequal scrutiny on Obama that is the Problem.Look at CNN again:http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2008/09/17/roland-martin-jeffrey-toobin-cnn-s-resident-obama-spokesmenRoland Martin and MIke Toobin the CNN version of Oblermann and Matthews are totaly in the tank. Martin says "lies" about 28 times in a 5 miunte monolouge on McCain, and Campbell Brown that transparent airhead states this:"Martin continued to use the "lie" term as he sparred with Castellanos until the end of the segment. In a move of honesty, host Campbell Brown stated at the end of the segment that "just in case anyone was unclear on this, Obama -- Roland is supporting Obama now. Alex Castellanos, obviously, a McCain supporter.""Here is Toobins lame excuse for getting caught on not fact checking:"MADDEN: Well, the first thing you have to remember about that charge is that I think it even came up during the Democrat primary, and secondly, Byron York had a very lengthy examination of that charge today in the National Review that documents entirely what is in that bill, and it would be troubling to a lot of Americans to see that Barack Obama supported that.Toobin brushed off the charge in response: "It was a bi-partisan, non-controversial program.""How About Kansas Gov. Kathy and here racist comment on voters:http://news.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=16&a=361566"Asked at a brown-bag lunch at the local library why the campaign is neck-and-neck, Sebelius said "code language" raising doubts about Obama is invalid because his life experience "has a lot more to do with me and my family.""I think that the notion that, 'By the way, have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African American?' I think that is for a number of people difficult," Sebelius said. "I think we need to talk about the fact that that is a real issue.""So basically Kathy if Obama loses that means AMericans are a bunch of backwards racists?Good Luck on that one and promoting a forward looking political future, Kathy you idiot.Does this Kansas Airhead think she is getting elected to anything in Kansas after that stupid statment?

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

logic- "... I have a hard time taking such complaints seriously considering the amount of demonization of liberals that comes at the hands of "The Right". Terrorist sympathizers, unpatriotic, unamercian. These are all terms that have been leveled at the left for failing to agree with many of the facist-like tactics and policies of the right under George Bush."Apparently you don't have that much difficulty in taking these complaints seriously. Why else would they bother you so much Then, after all of your ranting and raving about labels, you do exactly the same thing with your facist statement. Hypocrite!

denak 5 years, 7 months ago

What a sad piece.The first paragraph or two I thought Cal Thomas was doing ok with his article but halfway through, he started to attack "the Left." If he wanted to promote Sarah Palin he should have just left out the middle part and just had the first and last half of the article. Then it would have made sense.But no he goes off on this tangent about "the left," without even defining just who or what "the left." is.I'm kind of getting tired of people saying that Sarah Palin can handle "the left" or hearing her make comments about how she is different from Washington's "elite." It is just a bunch of political hooey. If McCain is elected she is going to half to work with the so-called "elict" and "the left" in order to get things done.All this blustering on her and the Republicans part, is just annoying.Dena

repaste 5 years, 7 months ago

Don't let her exx, say no. sarah couln't, she was preggo when she was married,

ExxonMcCain 5 years, 7 months ago

Let her handle my unit......its alright....

spiderman 5 years, 7 months ago

Palin doesn't matterNovember 5th she and John McSame will be history!OBAMA / BIDEN 2008

repaste 5 years, 7 months ago

cal - coo-coo The right now has socialized our investment banking, our mortage market, tripled the size of government and brought the strongest economy in the world to it's knees - good job now get a life.

beobachter 5 years, 7 months ago

She has "a real life"? joke of the day. Started to read article, 1st paragraph in, I started to realize it was same old crap Cal normally spouts. Read no more.

Centerville 5 years, 7 months ago

She can handle "the Left" because they mean nothing to her. She has a real life. And it shows.

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

I think I'm about 67-1 when it comes to predicting whether or not Cal Thomas is the author of a column based on the headline alone.This piece isn't even very well written.Thomas tries to draw a comparison between Bush/Quayle and McCain/Palin, but destroys his own analogy in pointing out that Quayle had a great deal more experience than Palin does. Dukakis' attacks on Quayle hurt him because they were unfounded--based on Quayle's appearance, rather than his credentials. Oddly enough, they were very similar to the common line of attack on Obama, also an experienced Legislator.From the article: "Anyone who doesn't agree with the Left's belief in higher taxes, bigger government, less personal responsibility and the use of the courts as a cultural wrecking ball is, by definition, qualified to be institutionalized."Ignoring for a second the sweeping generalities and inaccuracies with which Cal has painted "The Left", I have a hard time taking such complaints seriously considering the amount of demonization of liberals that comes at the hands of "The Right". Terrorist sympathizers, unpatriotic, unamercian. These are all terms that have been leveled at the left for failing to agree with many of the facist-like tactics and policies of the right under George Bush.

kansanjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Palin is twice a experienced as Barack Obama and I think that is the critical point. Mr. Obama is not at all qualified to be the President of the United States!