Archive for Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pine confirms he no longer lives in Douglas County

Still resides in senate district

September 16, 2008

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

Republican state Sen. Roger Pine lists a Lawrence address for his home, but he conceded Tuesday that he doesn't live in Lawrence.

He lives in Leavenworth County.

The question of his address came up last month when he voted in the Republican Party primary.

He cast a ballot where he has always voted - in Precinct 55 in Grant Township in Douglas County.

But the supervising poll worker knew Pine didn't live in Douglas County anymore.

So, Pine ended up casting a provisional ballot that was later made a partial ballot, meaning some of the ballot was disallowed because he wasn't eligible to cast votes in those races because of where he lived, according to Jamie Shew, Douglas County clerk.

"The law is pretty clear that your residence is the place you intend to return to at night. Basically it's where you are going to sleep," Shew said.

In the state legislative directory, Pine lists his home address as 1783 E. 1500 Road in Lawrence. He listed the same address when filing for re-election and is always referred to as a Republican from Lawrence.

That Lawrence address is where his business is - Pine Family Farms - and that is where Pine grew up and lived most of his life. On occasion, he said, in recent years, he spent the night there.

But since 1999, he has lived in Leavenworth County, he said. "As of the general election this fall, I will be voting in Leavenworth County," he said.

His Democratic opponent, Tom Holland of Baldwin City, said he was surprised to hear that Pine didn't live in Lawrence. "I had no idea," Holland said. He said he didn't know whether the issue would affect the race.

The 3rd senate district includes North Lawrence, much of eastern Douglas County, including Eudora and Baldwin City, all of Jefferson County and much of Leavenworth County outside of the cities of Leavenworth and Lansing.

Comments

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

Republicans always claim "confusion" when they're caught breaking the rules. "I was confused about using hand signals under the restroom stall. I thought everyone was doing it."

leftylucky 6 years, 3 months ago

Does this disqualify any votes of Sue PIne who was on the Lawrence Douglas County Planning commission in 2003 and voted for the city to make Grant township the urban growth area . The city should investigate all Sue Pine planning commission votes. We sure don't need a senator who has been confused since 1999 representing the folks of North Lawrence, and Grant township.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

Pine, who is running for re-election to the 3rd state senate district, said he was confused about the residency requirements.c'mon Roger, you can do better than that! yes, roots, family ties, etc., but don't think they have much to do with residency. BC is right though, the residency def is vague. also, the Kline pseudoscandal of where he lived was just whipped up by channel 5. he really slept there. I love how the wise and omniscient Boozo dismisses Boston's ref with irrelevencies. typical. but Roger, this really doesn't look good. my advice: make an apology, rather than the slimey "I was confused."

dandelion 6 years, 3 months ago

He voted illegally, This is becoming quite the pattern for Republicans, isn't it? His buddy Kline pretends to live in Johnson County.

mightyquin 6 years, 3 months ago

If we give the benefit of a doubt to his "confused" excuse, there is always the "ignorance of the law is no excuse" for breaking it deal.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

And, on a personal note ( I won't mention any names ) , are you really wanting to trade those lovely Colorado pines for the redder Kansas variety?'nuff said!

Munsoned 6 years, 3 months ago

Effect, Affect..... Lawrence, LeavenworthWhat's the difference?? ha

Steve Jacob 6 years, 3 months ago

Will any Republican beat a Dem. in Douglas County?

John Hamm 6 years, 3 months ago

"Pine, who is running for re-election to the 3rd state senate district, said he was confused about the residency requirements."Yea, "confused" like a fox. As far as I'm concerned every vote he's ever placed since he began Leavenworth residence is invalid.Fire him, fire him now!

Bob_Keeshan 6 years, 3 months ago

I would think if I was found out to have voted illegally for the past 9 years the sheriff would be the one knocking at my door, not a reporter from the paper.It seems to me Mr. Pine is a repeat offender. Not only was he voting illegally, he filed for office on two occassions with a false address and then filed as an elected official with a false address.I, for one, plan on calling the DA's office in the morning to find out what can be done.

Bob_Keeshan 6 years, 3 months ago

I suppose Mr. Corbett's shody logic would be at least somewhat palatable if all Mr. Pine had done was continue to maintain his past voter registration.Unfortunately for the "snowbird" defense, Mr. Pine also knowingly used a false address to file his candidacy for the state Senate. Twice.He then knowingly gave his false address to the Secretary of State when he was sworn in as a state Senator.By Mr. Corbett's logic, voters should be registering wherever they feel their vote will matter most in an election. For instance, perhaps I should just go ahead and register in Wichita and see if my vote can't knock off Todd Tiahrt. Next time there is a school bond issue, certainly Douglas County residents who don't live in the Lawrence school district should go ahead and register in town, so they can have the "right" to vote too.I notice Mr. Corbett uses a double consonant. Rather like Phill. Snowbirds of a feather, it seems.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 3 months ago

So, he's been voting illegally for 9 years, the entire time he's been in the Senate. His claim of ignorance means that he's either stupid or a liar. If the Senate had any ethics, they'd expel him.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 3 months ago

Like it or not, the law is very liberal in determining voter residency. "that place to which you intend to eventually return" At long as vote in one place, you are safe.The state has lots of permanent snowbirds who continue to vote in Kansas while living full time in AZ or FL. Same thing. They still have a Kansas residence or apartment they can point to. And I understand that has always been quite legally sufficient. And how about those thousands of students who float through this town for just a blink, and have no property or ties here other than school.I presume a cemetery plot would work just as well.As to POGO, I guess he doesn't think that any Kansas farmer (Agribusiness people receiving Public Dole money on a whim) should be elected to the Legislature. This attitude just reinforces what the rest of the state already thinks about Lawrence. And explains attitudes in Topeka too.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 3 months ago

So Pine is just a "snowbird" who prefers Leavenworth Co. to Florida? I knew there was a logical explanation.

pace 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't think this is a republican thing as much as a politician thing. Our school board had a cheat, lied about her residence so her kid could go to the new school, When she was caught said "quit attacking my child", No personal responsibility. Kline lived in Topeka. Pine is typical, he thinks he is entitled to say anything, because he thinks he is a good person. He should apologize. I think he is not entitled to.