Archive for Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Public comment period set on proposal to reduce speed limit

The Kansas Energy Council is asking for your opinion when it comes to changing the speed limit and increasing speeding ticket fines.

September 10, 2008

A proposal to increase fines for speeding and decrease the speed limit on some Kansas highways is open for public comment.

In addition, two public hearings are now scheduled on the Kansas Energy Council's draft recommendations.

The council produced 15 recommendations, many of which are aimed at reducing the emission of climate-changing gases, such as carbon dioxide.

One of those proposals would reduce the maximum speed limit from 70 mph to 65 mph. Another proposal would increase fines for speeding by 50 percent. Any change would have to be approved by the Legislature and governor.

The hearings will be Sept. 19 at Fort Hays State University's Robbin Center, and Sept. 30 at the Marcus Welcome Center at Wichita State University. Both meetings are scheduled to run from 9 a.m. to noon.

Public comment on the council's recommendations may be submitted through Oct. 10. Written comments may be mailed to the Kansas Energy Council, 1500 SW Arrowhead Road or emailed to the KEC's executive director Liz Brosius at l.brosius@kcc.ks.us.

Comments

JerryStubbs 5 years, 7 months ago

I think that in some parts of Europe, speeds are regulated according to the kind of car you have. Some of those cars are very small and not intended to go over a certain speed.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 7 months ago

Either way I'll get a speeding ticket and it'll be just one reason for my husband to say how much better of a driver he is then me. When on more then one occasion his driving has caused our daughter to projectile vomit and his constant swerving and jerking has giving me a horrible neck problem. Any new passengers in our car soon learn where the 'oh-shoot' handles are for bracing. But I'm the bad driver because I go a few miles over the limit just because I'm in a hurry to come home and make HIS dinner!!! Oh, I'm sorry..........yeh, um, I don't think they should lower the speed limit.

blue73harley 5 years, 7 months ago

Here is a copy of the e-mail that I sent to KECs Executive Director -"I am totally opposed to any attempt to lower ANY speed limits in Kansas. I will contact my legislators and let them know that they will not have my support in turning back the clock. I remember the 55 mph Federal Speed limit. It was miserable.I am forced to commute. With so many jobs moving overseas, we are forced to take employment wherever we can get it. Part of the reason jobs are leaving is because our "competition" in Third World countries do NOT have to deal with emissions control. All our business and government leaders (including Mr. Global Warming Al) are doing is shifting the pollution around the planet while going for lowest cost/cheapest labor.Work on solving the problem globally and leave Kansas drivers alone!"

Curtis Lange 5 years, 7 months ago

1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, KS 66604-4027Good to see the email address has been fixed too.

JerryStubbs 5 years, 7 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says:"Make it 33-1/3 rpm for the roundabouts.Grade the surface to play classic Yes tunes."-------------------------------------------I guess people would take notice as they drove around. WHat if somebody kept driving around and around the same roundabout, like they were stuck on that tune or something?

JerryStubbs 5 years, 7 months ago

The article also says there are 15 proposals. Does anyone have any idea what they are, other than the two in this article?

JerryStubbs 5 years, 7 months ago

The article above also says :Public comment on the council's recommendations may be submitted through Oct. 10. Written comments may be mailed to the Kansas Energy Council, 1500 SW Arrowhead Road----------note: don't worry about the city, state, or ZIP The post office is fully capable of figuring this out.

BrianR 5 years, 7 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says:"Make it 33-1/3 rpm for the roundabouts.Grade the surface to play classic Yes tunes."WOW, that is just good.

JerryStubbs 5 years, 7 months ago

People don't have to go the the hearing in person. They can also send snail mail or email l.brosius@kcc.ks.us

JerryStubbs 5 years, 7 months ago

Back in the 70's when the 55mph limit came on, we were bascially having a nation emergency because of the shortage of gas. A year later the shortage was over. They should have modified the limit then, it was a mistake to keep it at 55mph.This summer we had a economic spasm because of the price jump. No shortage, but it drove the point home about gas and I think it already had its effect on people. I don't think people need to be reminded by lowering the limit across the entire state. Speed limits should be reviewed on location frequently. If there is a reason to slow down, post it and enforce it. If the hazard goes away, raise it back up.Setting the gas tax to a percentage instead by the gallon will help deter superflous gas usage. If people want to burn more gas to save time they can do that. More importantly, they can switch to a vehicle that doesn't have a higher consumption at higher speeds (aerodynamic design).On the subject of gas, has anyone found any info on the Interior Department's investigation of oil drilling brokers?The Kansas City Star posted this:http://www.kansascity.com/449/story/790846.htmlThe Associated Press story is here:http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jzUY8OlE6qfQWasH6Fewcq6YfYmwD934FHVG0As long as we start drlling for more oil, we ought to make sure the right people are going to benefit from it:"Government brokers responsible for collecting billions of dollars in federal oil royalties operated in a "culture of substance abuse and promiscuity" that included having sex with energy company employees, accepting lavish gifts and rigging contracts to favored firms, investigators said Wednesday."This IG report has it all - sex, drugs and the Bush administration officials once again in cahoots with Big Oil," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., whose Joint Economic Committee released a report last year claiming the Minerals Management Service has failed to collect millions of dollars in oil royalties

speedykitty 5 years, 7 months ago

I live in eastern Kansas and I give this example of an impact. My son lives in southeast MO, a little over 400 miles away from our home. I have 4-8 lane highways all the way. My minivan got exactly 26.6 mpg on the highway miles the last trip. I penciled them out separately because that's the portion they are talking about impacting. My speed was 70-75 mph. I was moving with other traffic. If I were to drive this at 55 mph (as Senator Warner suggested), which could only be done with cruise control, napping while I drive, the car would be traveling and using fuel for an additional hour and a half. Does anyone ever look at the length of a trip when proposing such a reduction? How does driving longer actually save money? It's an illusion at best!I believe 55 mph was a bad idea in the 70's, and a worse idea now. Now this Kansas Energy Council proposes 65 mph "aimed at reducing the emissions of climate-changing gases, such as carbon dioxide" and it's just another example of worshiping the religion of "global warming"!How interesting there are only TWO public hearings, and the nearest to our eastern KS population is in Wichita This idea needs a swift burial!

JackRipper 5 years, 7 months ago

Slow er down. Before we start drilling in places off limit since the Gipper we need to do something that makes the biggest impact. The government maintains and controls the roads so they should do what is right during these trying times.

Curtis Lange 5 years, 7 months ago

The email address at the end of the story is not correct. My email did not go through.

Curtis Lange 5 years, 7 months ago

Up the limit to 75 or don't mess with it at all.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 7 months ago

Big Brother, Nanny-Staters and those who cannot handle personal responsibility.Thank you, Kathy!Didn't get the nom, so you're going to take it out on the good citizens of this state.

notajayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Ralph Reed (Ralph Reed) says: "Glad you have the money to do that. You must have a better paying job than I. Good for you."Let's just say I make a (helluva) lot more by commuting than I would be making if I worked locally. And as I said, I have already done what I needed to in order to conserve - the vehicle I replaced with my subcompact got approximately half the gas mileage. I downsized because it made good economic sense for me. I don't need the state government telling me to use less gas.Of course, I'm sure the state of Missouri would love to have the income taxes of the people currently commuting from Kansas all to themselves.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't [have the money to do that], but I would reprioritize in order to take advantage for a 75 mph speed limit. And, if I were to encounter you on the road, traveling 10 mph slower, I would afford you full courtesy for your decision to operate your vehicle at a more conservative speed.( And, I'm sure the majority of interstate transporters-those most likely to benefit from the increased limit-would do the same. )

Ralph Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

notajayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Ralph Reed (Ralph Reed) says: "You use about 10% more gas going from 55 to 65 mph."Really? How much does a 3/4-ton truck or massive SUV going 55 use compared to my 4-cylinder subcompact going 65? How much does someone driving 55, surging up on people's bumpers, weaving in and out of lanes, etc., use compared to someone with the cruise control set to 65 and staying there?I'm getting 36 mpg at 65-70, I believe I've already done my part, thank you. But if I have to slow down, I might as well use my full-size car to commute, and use about the same amount of gas.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

RR: "Take a look at the gas mileage chart on this link...."You can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mphis like paying an additional $0.26 per gallon for gas."$3.50 a gallon to go 65 mph;$4.00 a gallon to go 75 mph.I'll pay it.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

Take a look at the gas mileage chart on this link.My grandfather taught automechanics his whole career; they knew this back then. You use about 10% more gas going from 55 to 65 mph.http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

KS 5 years, 7 months ago

I have absolutely no problem with increasing fines. Unfortunately people don't pay them anyway. They always give some baloney story to a judge who lets them pay it off on a payment plan. One payment and you never hear from them again. Put out a warrant and who cares?

toe 5 years, 7 months ago

Increasing fines is a good idea and should be done first.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

"One of those proposals would reduce the maximum speed limit from70 mph to 65 mph. Another proposal would increase fines for speedingby 50 percent."Increase both... 75 mph... 75% increase in fines. Dub it the 75-75 plan.

Boeing 5 years, 7 months ago

Kansas already loses out on interstate transit due to I-70s parallel northern neighbor, I-80 in Nebraska, having a 75mph speed limit. We don't need to knock it down anymore. Sure we have a bit higher population density (barely), but outside of the main cities, both states are pretty much empty. Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming ALL have 75mph speed limits...is it too much to ask to keep 70? Look at the states that have 65mph limits...Mass, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Vermont, and the list goes on...mostly states with big cities and high population densities...Kansas does NOT fit in here.

KS 5 years, 7 months ago

Why is this even being discussed?" Reducing the speed limit is absolutely nuts. Just the good old left thinking that it knows how to run our lives better than we do. Crazy, that what this is. Trucks on I-70 will detour around Kansas and the locals will NOT sell fuel or cokes. Don't these people think these things thru?