Archive for Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pilots prepare tribute to 9-11 anniversary

Americans prepare to mark a somber anniversary today. September 11, 2001, is a day that is seared into the memory of the American people. And on the 7th anniversary of that tragedy, some local pilots are taking to the sky to add their touch to a day full of remembrance.

September 10, 2008

The sky over Lawrence will be used Thursday to pay tribute to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and to salute the military.

At 5:30 p.m. acrobatic sport planes will use smoke to write "9-11-01" in the sky.

"It's in recognition of our fighting soldiers in harm's way to prevent another terrorist attack," said Al Stuber, a Lawrence pilot who will be flying one of two to four planes in the event.

The planes will be a mile high over the city when they write the message, Stuber said. The planes and their pilots are members of the Red Hawk Squadron, which has performed skywriting over Kansas University's Memorial Stadium.

Last weekend at a 9/11 memorial event in Kansas City, Mo., the squadron also wrote the date in the sky.

"We got a good response from that and thought we'd do it here," Stuber said. "This is a spur-of-the-moment thing."

This is the first time the planes will have tried the event in Lawrence, Stuber said. Weather conditions will determine whether the skywriting takes place, he said.

The Red Hawk pilots are all former military pilots from the Lawrence and Kansas City area. Stuber was a Navy pilot.

Stuber's own son, Pat Stuber, a member of the Tennessee Army National Guard, is preparing to go to Afghanistan, which will be his fourth combat tour.

Comments

kmat 5 years, 7 months ago

Stuber is a good man. And his son is heading to Afghanistan, where our troops ARE fighting terrorists.I am as liberal as they come and I support what these pilots are doing.number1jayhawker - that uranium from Iraq you are speaking of was not weapons grade, had been under IAEA lock and key since before the first gulf war and was left unprotected when we invaded Iraq. It was finally moved because since the US didn't deam it necessary to secure it when we first invaded, looting occurred. We moved some of it a few years ago, without IAEA approval. They at least got approval this time. It was never illegal for Iraq to possess natural grade uranium and was why it had been under IAEA seal for decades.You need to educate yourself about these things before looking like a fool and spreading right wing propaganda.http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-07-07-iraq-uranium_x.htmhttp://apnews.myway.com/article/20080706/D91O8E100.html

tjhoops69 5 years, 7 months ago

500 tons of saddams uranium?? I admit, I must have been sleeping, please provide the link to this story.

number1jayhawker 5 years, 7 months ago

Like someone else said, they are honoring ALL Veterans.I guess some of you were still sleeping in your warm comfortable beds when the 500 tons of Saddam's Uranium arrived from Iraq a few weeks ago.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 7 months ago

We do not only have troops in Iraq you know.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Danimal: "Classy tangential, really classy."Granted, there is absolutely no justification for yet another unfiltered association on my part. However, I am but a product of my dissociative environment, including a political climate which has complemented the deaths of 3,000 with an additional 4,000+ ( and growing ) .Nice, though, that we'll be blowing a little more smoke in recognition of our overwhelming loss.

blakus 5 years, 7 months ago

I have no problem remembering and honoring those who died on 9-11. But to pay tribute to those who died on that day and then to also say that 'we are honoring the troops who are protecting us from another attack' is something I don't agree with. I support the troops (I have two cousins in Iraq) but I in no way associate 9-11 and our actions in Iraq or the soldiers there. To me, Bush bastardized all those who died on 9-11 by using their deaths as justification for a war in Iraq."This is a spur-of-the-moment thing"... much like the Iraq war.

Danimal 5 years, 7 months ago

Classy tangential, really classy.Let's try and put politics aside for a day and remember that this was one of the greatest catastrophes in American history.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Hmm... do we really want pilots commemorating 9/11?( They won't be performing a reenactment, will they? )

parablesofaprodigalworld 5 years, 7 months ago

Interesting stuff. We should remeber, we should mourn, we should give proper tribute to those lost, but we should also remember to view the 9/11 atrocities in their larger context, something I've written about today. Thought you might be interested.Grace and Peace,Raffi

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

What're they putting in the smoke, a 9/11=Iraq drug?

Ragingbear 5 years, 7 months ago

Let me see. Largest deficit in history, massive debt on city, state,and federal levels. I know. Let's see if we can invoke more 9-11 pity by blowing a few million on pointless planes.