Archive for Friday, September 5, 2008

Eudora student taken to hospital after gym class injury

September 5, 2008

A Eudora Middle School student was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by ambulance Friday morning after being hit in the head during physical education class, a spokeswoman for the school district said.

"We did call 911 : for safety's sake," said Kristin Magette, director of communications for Eudora schools.

Magette said the male student was hit with an unknown piece of equipment that was being used in gym class. The student did not lose consciousness but was taken to the hospital by paramedics as a precaution, she said.

Comments

blakus 6 years, 3 months ago

Um, this is a newspaper (website). News is their business... news is their fuel for advertising. Quit poking at little *#&@ like this and don't come to the website if you are unhappy with the product.... lower circulation (web hits) means less advertising which means no (or smaller) paper. The LJWorld will report on anything they feel is 'news worthy'... and unfortunately (or in some cases fortunately), you don't have the power to define what is worthy.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 3 months ago

Hi--This story is news for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a student at a public school went to the hospital. If parents hear from their students that an ambulance came to school and took a student away, they're going to want to know why. Additionally, this was originally dispatched as a LifeFlight emergency, though it was quickly downgraded to a normal ambulance transport.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

jaycat 6 years, 3 months ago

Okay Jon, can I call ya Jon? Not to be disrespectful or anything. But by brother went into diabetic shock while in gym class, ambulance was called, then the parents. Not the press, never made the news. This would in my opinion be considered a personal matter NOT public. Not saying that people don't care or didn't care at that time. Just seems more like it must of been a slow day in the news room. Have agreat weekend;)

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 3 months ago

It seems everything in Lawrence is Lifeflight.

wysiwyg69 6 years, 3 months ago

Ok, Jonathan, do not pay very much attention to these morons. You are always going to have 50% of the jerks saying why is this news and the other 50% of these jerks would have *itched if is was not made public info in the paper, so you are damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

rumor_man 6 years, 3 months ago

Dear LJW,I don't feel so good.rumor man

jaycat 6 years, 3 months ago

OMG someone just tripped on the sidewalk. Quick someone call LJW. Then call 911.

Eks_164 6 years, 3 months ago

Its just to maybe inform parents who may not have phones but contact online maybe they check the internet more than there phones.I was at the high school when it happend and NONE of us were allowed to know but i was able to get on ljworld.com to see what happend so some people find this useful... oh and the kid is alright if you are wondering.

FatTony 6 years, 3 months ago

"Magette said the male student was hit with an unknown piece of equipment that was being used in gym class."The only way this is news is if the "unknown equipment" was a weight machine that collapsed on him.

Bob Forer 6 years, 3 months ago

Why is ths news? Are the LJW editors who chose to run this story auggesting that school officials were negligent, or that somehow, physical education is inherently dangerous. When I was a 12 year old kid playing organized ball, I was hit square in the chest by a foul ball while waiting in the on-deck circle. It was no one's fault. A mere accident, and a risk that comes to everyone who chooses to exit the cave and live life. My coach, as well as my parents, rushed to my side after I fell down. No, I wasn't hurt, nor did it hurt. I simply had the wind knocked out of me, and after twenty seconds on the ground, like all kids, I got back on my feet to await my at-bat. Both my coach and my parents said no. As a precautionary measure, and on the advice and consent of my folks and my coach, and despite my protests, I was immediately removed from the game and taken by my parents to the ER for a checkup. X-rays, etc. Of course, I was fine. No one did anything wrong. It was just another incidental part of growing up, and one of those insignficant parts of life we all experience. Certainly not worthy of mention in the press.

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

I'd hate to see what happened if this kid actually lost consciousness. It would end up as a front page story and they would print a special evening edition of the LJ-World.

Buggie7 6 years, 3 months ago

Jon-This is horse crap. There is a telephone system through the eudora school district that calls the families cells home and work # whichever they put down on the forms at the beginning of the school year. Therefore they could have put this recording out talking about the accident instead of plastering it in the paper. This response system is used for school activities and weather cancellations. I would think that it would be more informational to us Eudora parents to use this system and not contact you. The above poster was correct in saying that it is a private matter not one all of Lawrence and the surrounding areas need to be concerned with.This was just another article to fill your paper with at anyones expense. I am just as disappointed in the school district and will ask the principal why the method of going to the media was used and not the informational system they already have intact. The parents are smart enough to know that if they are not contacted then it does not involve them.