Archive for Thursday, September 4, 2008

Two receive minor injuries in rollover accident

Emergency responders work at the scene of a rollover accident at the intersection of Ninth and Tennessee.

September 4, 2008, 2:45 p.m. Updated September 4, 2008, 4:12 p.m.

A pickup truck landed on its top Thursday afternoon after a crash at the intersection of Ninth and Tennessee streets.

The accident happened just after 2:30 p.m., when the driver of a small Suzuki SUV ran a stoplight and hit a red Ford Ranger, causing the truck to roll, Lawrence police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said.

Two men inside the truck received minor injuries but refused medical treatment at the scene, she said. The driver of the SUV wasn't hurt.

The accident shut down southbound traffic on Tennessee for less than an hour, a dispatcher said.

No one seriously injured in accident

Two men were hurt in a rollover accident near downtown Lawrence on Thursday.

Comments

compmd 5 years, 7 months ago

Newell, the beams along the edges of the car are what you should care about. There are safety issues with convertibles, because of the significant strengthening required for the structural members that the windshield attaches to. Don't worry about a sunroof, its practically inconsequential. Worry about the substandard structural design of an A-pillar as evidenced in the video with this article. Sunroof or not, if the A-pillar buckles, off with your head.

Newell_Post 5 years, 7 months ago

This is why I refuse to buy any vehicle with a sun roof....

hitme 5 years, 7 months ago

I saw the accident happen, the news report is wrong. The truck ran the light, not the SUV The truck was also going 35-40 mph which is over the 30 mph speed limit. There was also only one person in the truck, not two. Both drivers were at least 40 years old.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

"Two receive minor injuries in rollover accident"I'm guessing that, if the minutes hadn't rolled over, they probably wouldn't have been talking on the phone while driving, in the first place.

we_hate_lawrence 5 years, 7 months ago

I am not homosexual so don't you date try to get familiar with me ,,

been_there 5 years, 7 months ago

we_hate_lawrence's postings seem very familiar, anyone care to guess?

drugcompton 5 years, 7 months ago

word on the street is that sven was buying drinks,,,AGAIN!

esl03 5 years, 7 months ago

I own a SUV. And I dont drive it like an idiot... But then again I did move to DC...

EarthaKitt 5 years, 7 months ago

I hate to critique the LJW copy editors, but these rules are Journalism 101.-- One "receives" a gift. One "suffers" an injury.-- I'll also reiterate my stance on sexist grammar even though it's not in this story. "Woman" is a noun. "Female" is an adjective. That is has to be said anymore is somewhat of an insult in and of itself, but to refer to Sebelius as a "woman governor" is just stupid. The novelty of Sarah Palin's candidacy probably warranted the "female" designation for a few days. Now let's drop it. Or maybe in her case we need to clarify that "nut job" is the noun and "psychotic" is the adjective.(Man. That transition was smooth...)

we_hate_lawrence 5 years, 7 months ago

let's hear it for the Lawrence Bacon Patrol who allow all of you geniuses to run red lights every day of the year...... you get what you deserve, larryville..........

compmd 5 years, 7 months ago

igby (Anonymous) says:55 or 60 mph most likely. That Suzuki would have been annihilated at "55 or 60 mph." It would be completely destroyed in a 40mph collision. Look at the crash test results.Looks like the Suzuki didn't hit the truck that hard. Trucks are tippy. I would believe that the Suzuki was actually going the speed limit.

Tbird1 5 years, 7 months ago

thetagger, I really do not want to be in my element on a message board. Want to call me? Then we can chat about my element!

laika 5 years, 7 months ago

88 would have to be a reference to Back to the Future...

kusp8 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow Marty, you must be the reason I always have to break if you're only going 88...come on pick it up! The minimum (in my head) is around 105.

Marty_McFly 5 years, 7 months ago

I hope they weren't going 88 mph like I always do there.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 7 months ago

9th and tennesse needs a real turn lane with a real stoplight with arrows. the city can bus people to a football game but cannot buy a real stoplight

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

just ignore coaltrain; he was cool, then spiderman; we'll see how long this ID lasts before his abuse gets him kicked again. *ban SUV's, they're all out to get us!besides, by this headline, I thought two kids were injured! now they say "two men..." well, were the men under age 18? then they'd be minors.

junkhand 5 years, 7 months ago

there were some elderly people at the scene. im assuming they were not the truck's passengers

Kevin Sontag 5 years, 7 months ago

Tbird, you're out of your element!!Walter is talking about the new 'Vette they thought little Larry Sellers bought with the Big Lebowski's money.Wait in the car, Donny.

Pywacket 5 years, 7 months ago

coltrane~ Many of them are very tippy. But the article says that in this instance it was the pickup that rolled, not the SUV. So your point is........?

Tbird1 5 years, 7 months ago

what on earth are you talking about walter

walter_sobchak 5 years, 7 months ago

I'd say he's still got about $960 - $970,000 left, depending on the options.

Tbird1 5 years, 7 months ago

i used to live at 11th and Tenn and there can be some crazy wrecks at those intersections. The one ways confuse the heck out of all the students!

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 7 months ago

The ironic thing about igby's comment is that he can't write.

caseygolf 5 years, 7 months ago

Love the facts you have presented IGBY

igby 5 years, 7 months ago

55 or 60 mph most likely. These college student from out of town think their still in Indianapolis. It's a shame none of them can read.

thebcman 5 years, 7 months ago

something tells me that somebody might have been exceeding the 30 mph posted speed limit.