Archive for Thursday, September 4, 2008

Man pleads guilty to exposing himself to junior high girls

On Thursday in district court, a man admits to exposing himself to three Lawrence Junior High students last December.

September 4, 2008

A man pleaded guilty Thursday morning to exposing himself to three West Junior High School girls last year.

Stephen R. Stout, 47, admitted to committing the act in front of the girls after school on Dec. 20, 2007.

"I exposed myself to those three girls," Stout told District Judge Michael Malone.

Malone accepted Stout's pleas and convicted him on three counts of lewd and lascivious behavior. Stout also pleaded not guilty to one count of aggravated indecent solicitation of a child; prosecutors had accused him of trying to lure another female student into his vehicle. A trial on that charge is scheduled to begin Monday.

According to earlier testimony, that 13-year-old student called 911 after she said a man in a sports car asked her to come closer and tell him the time. Assistant Kansas Attorney General Kevin Graham has said the girl saw the car at least two more times as she tried to walk home.

Stout's defense attorney, Sarah Swain, has said Stout was only asking the girl for the time.

Stout was later arrested. Malone said Stout faces a maximum of 31 months in prison for the three lewd and lascivious convictions. Two of the victims were 13 years old at the time and one was 14.

Malone has not set a sentencing date because a trial is scheduled for Monday on the aggravated indecent solicitation charge.

Comments

S0uPnAzi 6 years, 3 months ago

gr, are you insane?? No harm to others?? You, as well as this dolt Stout ought to be locked up forever!! If you seriously cannot see the harm such an act could cause, you don't belong amongst us!

igby 6 years, 3 months ago

A taser works really well when these pervs hoist their main sail into the wind. He should be in a more suitable environ in jail where he can get the attention he needs from bubba. Doing this in front of children near a school yard is and should be a sign that this guy is a major public safety risk and when he gets out, he will do it again but won't get caught because he will abduct his victim and kill them when he's done; paying back society for his minimum jail time for three counts of lewd behavior; we can thank the courts for his next victim.

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

This is just the first step for this perv. Let's just hope he doesn't get a chance to live his ultimate fantasy with an innocent child. I wish we could lock him up for good. Of course, Judge Paula Martin would just blame the girls for walking in public.

acg 6 years, 3 months ago

I have no fear of my children seeing the human form, inside and out. My son really enjoyed seeing bodies revealed and we don't teach that nakedness is dirty in our house. However, I do have a problem with some pervy freak whipping out his dong to kids and any parent that is worth their salt would feel the same way. I can't imagine how anyone could, in good conscious, defend this sicko, unless of course there's a sicko lurking deep within you.

gr 6 years, 3 months ago

Should it be wrong to choose behavior which causes no harm to others?

compmd 6 years, 3 months ago

Why is the image of a human body such a big deal? I bet nobody here takes their children to art museums for fear there may be exposed bodies.Also, note to self: Never ask someone what time it is again, because you might be labeled a pedophile/communist/terrorist.

dougmarshall 6 years, 3 months ago

gr, Did I miss your meaning of your comment? In this story, what behavior is it that "causes no harm"? Are you kidding me? You must be in the same catagory as this guy.

hipgrrrrl 6 years, 3 months ago

When I was about 16, I was walking down the basement hallway to the ungrad library at Purdue U and a guy opened his coat up to me as well. Apparently, my reaction of pointing and laughing at his not-so-private parts wasn't the response he was looking for. His flag sank, his coat was whipped back closed and his feet took him off in the opposite direction at full speed.I reported it, but never heard anything else about the incident. Maybe I cured the pervert :)?

dougmarshall 6 years, 3 months ago

compmd, You put yourself in the same catagory as this perv when you ask that question. No, the human body is not a big deal in a museum, private homes or locker rooms, but when a perv wants to "express" himself to a kid ... it becomes a big deal.Get with reality

sdinges 6 years, 3 months ago

I think it's only traumatizing to be flashed if your parent or other adults make it out to be a big deal.We had a local flasher (he would get naked and stand in the woods near a popular walking path) who flashed me (twice actually, months apart - would you believe).I got home and told my mom and she asked if I was okay - to which I responded "It's cold and raining - why would he want to be naked in the woods today?" She laughed and said "Well, just so you know, flashers tend to never become violent sexual offenders - they get their kicks from being seen." And this guy was equal opportunity - teenage girls, old ladies, parents at the playground with their kids... When I reported it to the school, they reported it to the police and the police picked him up as a known offender. I would later get flashed by him again, as would a friend, on different occasions.It became a joke.

adriennerm 6 years, 3 months ago

totally agree with you Autie. Some people think being exposed to isn't a major deal. I remember when I was nine and a man exposed himself to me and my mother. We were leaving the circus. This nut ran up to us in a trench coat, opened it up and laughed. There were some men walking by that heard my mother's screams. They tackled him and we waited for the police. That was over twenty years ago. I still remember the event like it was yesterday. Now that i'm an adult, I can laugh about it....a little. However it's not a memory I would want my 13 year old to have

supertrampofkansas 6 years, 3 months ago

I think you guys got gr all wrong. I think gr was just being sarcastic and is simply making a cryptic reference to one of the more popular responses to gay marriage, that being that it causes no harm to anyone else.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 3 months ago

Apparently this sort of behavior is frowned upon now. Huh.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the guy was just born that way and can't help it. Seriously. What he did can be very damaging to girls. (and boys) The guy needs to go away for a long time.I get tired of helping to clean up the wreckage of what these very selfish guys cause. I would put a moose suit on them, and then have Sarah and Dick go a hunting.

somebodynew 6 years, 3 months ago

And, if I remember the story correctly (too lazy to go back and read everything) he had a loaded gun in the car and had done something wierd with the license tag on the car. That sounds a WHOLE lot more than just a flasher. Sounds like pre-planning for some VERY bad actions and trying to avoid getting caught.I just think it was a good thing the detectives were close by and caught this guy before he carried out his "plan".

gr 6 years, 3 months ago

"gr, are you insane?? No harm to others??"Just a question. Amazing how some get all bent out of shape at a question, express assumed emotion, but yet fail to give a concrete reason.So, would you guys be saying that there are other ways of harming others, even bystanders so to speak, when there is no "physical" harm? Do you mind if I quote you guys on that?"ought to be locked up forever!!"Don't you think that's a little harsh for asking a question?I KNOW you are going to be bent out of shape when I quote you in the future.Then you will take the exact opposite stance. I could be wrong, but I'm betting it's better odds than the lottery. It's just the irrational reaction you are approaching it with.I'm impressed, tramp! Or is it unimpressed with the others.