Archive for Thursday, September 4, 2008

Brownback considering gubernatorial run in 2010

As the political parties prepare for this year's election, Kansas Senator Sam Brownback is already looking toward the 2010 contest.

September 4, 2008, 11:47 a.m. Updated September 4, 2008, 5:49 p.m.

After failing to gain any traction last year in a bid for the Republican Party nomination for president, U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas said Thursday he was considering a run for governor in 2010.

Brownback made the remarks in a talk to Kansas delegates to the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., according to Hawver News.

Brownback said he would not run for re-election to the Senate but instead is looking at the gubernatorial race.

His bid for governor has been widely anticipated since he dropped out of the presidential race last year.

Since leaving the White House contest, Brownback has been a staunch supporter of Republican presidential nominee John McCain, leading his outreach effort among Catholic voters.

Known for his opposition to abortion, embryonic stem cell research and gay marriage, Brownback has been a major figure in religious right politics.

Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh, a Republican, also has said he may run for governor.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a two-term Democrat, has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Senate seat now held by Brownback. The state Constitution prohibits the governor from serving more than two terms.

Comments

EasilyAmused 6 years, 3 months ago

IF Obama wins and IF Sebelius leaves the governor office in pursuit of a national cabinet position, then Mark Parkinson might gain enough support and notoriety to run for governor and win. I would vote for him now, but I don't think the majority of Kansans pay attention to who the lieutenant governor is.

Boeing 6 years, 3 months ago

How does he not have a chance? He's a Republican in a Republican state...there is ALWAYS a chance.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 3 months ago

I will change and register to republican just to vote for Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh as Gov.

countrygirl 6 years, 3 months ago

The very idea scares the hell out of me.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 3 months ago

Please, say it isn't so! I wanna wake up! I wanna wake up! I wanna wake up! ... Damn, it's not a bad dream.

Deb Stavin 6 years, 3 months ago

Does he know the proper way to field dress a moose? It has become a prerequisite for a governorship.

6 years, 3 months ago

We got rid of Phil Kline & Connie Morris - let's not go backword!

d_prowess 6 years, 3 months ago

I have lived in Kansas for about 14 years now and I don't think I ever knew we had term limits for our governor. I guess you learn things every day!

fabian_zimbabwe 6 years, 3 months ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Man, I needed a good laugh today.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 3 months ago

Sam being governor is just sick. The guy has not accomplished a damn thing in the Senate other than talk about abortion. He'd do quite well as a national spokesperson for an anti-abortion club.

dinglesmith 6 years, 3 months ago

If Brownback runs, he will win. This makes my stomach turn. Sebelius won because she is a moderate and ran against a rather untested arch-conservative. Brownback is not that. He has already won state-wide elections and has had national exposure. The only way he loses is if he is defeated in the primaries by someone from the moderate wing of the party. I don't see that happening because I can't think of anyone with the experience or visibility needed to pull it off.

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 6 years, 3 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!The only thing that might take the sting off of him winning governor would be if Sebelius takes his old seat in the Senate.

Ragingbear 6 years, 3 months ago

Heh. Like he has even a snowball's chance.

EasilyAmused 6 years, 3 months ago

If he's governor, I'm gonna try to get my community to secede to Nebraska. Too bad its too late to run for mayor of my town, otherwise I'd be experienced enough in two years to be governor myself...

coltrane 6 years, 3 months ago

Grand Oil Party going backwards again ------confrontation has sort of coined it above-----'brownback as governator' ? scary.

simplyamazed 6 years, 3 months ago

You never know! It all depends on who is running against him. Who would ever think Obama would have had a chance? It is timing of who else is stupid enough to want the job.

Ken Miller 6 years, 3 months ago

Do NOT underestimate old Sam. Bill Graves did - and so did Sheila Frahm. I would imagine we'll see Sam v. Mark Parkinson for Governor. I, for one, have no idea how that one will turn out.

50YearResident 6 years, 3 months ago

He just doesn't get it! Sam, you are finished in politics! Pack up your stuff and go home. Save face while you still can.

janeyb 6 years, 3 months ago

If Sam runs he will win. We couldn't knock him out of the Senate and he will be governor.......or maybe Secretary of Agriculture if McCain gets elected.

johnwoods 6 years, 3 months ago

OMG. Please Sam, get out of politics. We can't take it anymore. Go into private enterprise. Please Senator Brownback. Don't run!