Archive for Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First responder testifies in hit-and-run trial

A construction worker struck by a pick-up truck speeding through a work zone described the scene on Highway 59 nearly a year ago.

September 3, 2008

A construction worker struck by a pickup truck speeding through a work zone described the scene on U.S. Highway 59 nearly a year ago.

"I saw shovels and hard hats flying in the air," Curtis Delzell testified. "I tried to process what I was seeing."

Delzell, a former heater mill operator for Dustrol Inc., took the stand late Wednesday afternoon as the trial continued in Douglas County District Court for Ramona Morgan, 49.

The Washington woman is facing aggravated battery charges for injuring Delzell, as well two counts of reckless second-degree murder for the deaths of two other construction workers on Sept. 11, 2007, as crews were repaving a two-mile section of the highway near Pleasant Grove.

Delzell described seeing a dark-colored pickup truck speed through the work zone twice in a roughly 45-minute period.

As the truck made its second pass, Delzell said he stepped out into the middle of the road in an effort to get the vehicle to slow down.

"It continued accelerating toward me," he told jurors. "I realized I needed to take evasive action to avoid being hit."

Delzell was struck in the left leg, the heel of his work boot ripped off. The force of the impact threw him into the ditch.

He said that when he looked down the road seconds later he saw his co-workers flying through the air.

Earlier in the day, at least two other Dustrol employees took the stand, pointing to Morgan and identifying her as the driver of the truck that struck and killed their co-workers.

Testimony in the case is scheduled to resume at 9:15 a.m. today.

Comments

topflight 5 years, 12 months ago

pack of wild dogzz- you are a complete idiot if that is all you got out of the entire article.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 12 months ago

It's probably not a good idea to strike a passing motorist's vehicle with your sign.

midwestmom 5 years, 12 months ago

"Running for her life"? Running because she knew she had taken life is more like it. Too bad harsher charges weren't able to be levied against her. I feel so bad for the families who have to see/read/hear about their loved ones last moments in order to try to convict Ms. Morgan. Know you are in our prayers.

jaywalker 5 years, 12 months ago

Windshield damage and she thought she hit equipment? This woman needs to go down for a long, long time.

roseprincess1980 5 years, 12 months ago

Thank you so much shannanturner1, it is nice to know that there are others out there praying for us, and hoping this will all turn out right. I just wish friday would get here so that I can be there, and hear how this will turn out. Thank you also to all the others thinking of us too.

Jeteras 5 years, 12 months ago

Problem is you will not get the death penalty for a second degree murder charge. Hell you may not even get life! She will get found guilty but just wait till the sentencing. As bad of a thing that she did, the fact that she did not intend to kill someone is the kicker. I am guessing 25 years for each charge with parole possibility in 10. As old as she is, she will rot in prison though so that is a good thing. How can someone show no emotion for killing someones father, friend, husband, son! sheesh....

shannanturner1 5 years, 12 months ago

Roseprincess, I am very sorry for your loss. Let you know that you and your family are in my prayers and thoughts. I hope that our justice system doesnt fail your family at all. Remeber sweetie to keep your faith and God is Good he WILL take care of your family. God Bless

roseprincess1980 5 years, 12 months ago

Ronnie (Rolland) is my cousin, it is very hard to read the articles, but at the same time, you still want to know what happened, maybe to try to make sense of it all, even though I know this will never make any sense. I will be at Ramona Morgan's trial sentencing on Friday, I hope that she never gets out of prison. I hope she will be there til the day she dies. Obviously she shows no remorse whatsoever. Maybe I would have a little different opinion if she apologized, or show that she felt some kind of remorse.

poeticjustice 5 years, 12 months ago

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 12 months ago

Any idiot can tell the difference between an orange construction barrel and a construction worker wearing orange. I would hope that she is now a permanent resident of Kansas--a Kansas prison, that is.