Archive for Thursday, October 30, 2008

Get ready for your extra hour

October 30, 2008

Reader poll
When it comes to daylight saving time, which do you prefer?

or See the results without voting

Check smoke alarms

While you are changing your clocks to mark the end of daylight saving time, which officially is over at 2 a.m. Sunday, it's a good time to change the batteries in your smoke alarms, said Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical.

According to the department, the most commonly cited causes of malfunctioning smoke alarms are worn or missing batteries.

Eve Tolefree, department division chief, said smoke alarm maintenance is a simple, effective way to reduce home fire deaths.

When time falls back at 2 a.m. Sunday, marking the end of daylight saving time, most people enjoy the extra hour of personal time, be it sleeping, finishing chores or partying.

That's unless, of course, you are working the overnight shift.

Some bartenders are expecting a rowdier crowd Saturday night and early Sunday morning, following the KU-K-State football game.

One Kansas University senior is already planning to take advantage of the time change.

"With that extra hour, especially on game day, I'll definitely spend more time out with my friends," said Megan O'Malley, 21, of Overland Park. "One more hour till last call."

When Lawrence bars close at 2 a.m. the bar staff is trying to hustle people out the door. But Sunday morning, they will instead be looking at an extra hour of serving drinks and checking IDs.

Todd Nuss, 23, bartender at Louise's Bar, 1009 Mass., said, "I'll be a lot more tired. : But it will be OK; we're used to staying up late anyway."

"It's just that one more hour to wait to close the bar," said Erica Goddard, 23, a bartender at Replay Lounge, 946 Mass.

When the downtown Lawrence nightlife has quieted, that's when Deron Belt, 35, a baker at Great Harvest Bread, 807 Vt., is heading to work. He said the time change is "more of a psychological break than it is a physical one."

"It's the illusion of an extra hour," he said.

Third-shift workers accustomed to the early hours said although it's extra work, at least it's more pay.

"I know a lot of people enjoy the extra money, if nothing else," said Jill Abel, manager of the Kwik Shop at 1846 Mass. "As long as you keep yourself busy, the time seems to pass by."

Jamey Hasselle, 32, night auditor for Holiday Inn Express, 3411 Iowa, said overall he's not too worried about it. He'll just have an extra hour to complete the last of the check-ins, do paperwork and run reports, he said.

However, with a game this weekend, "the unexpected could happen," he said. "Being here in Lawrence we get a lot of late stragglers (from games and the bars)."

Later that morning, churchgoers may wake up confused about when to show up for services.

Kay Koch, membership associate at Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt., said some people miss church or show up too early.

"It seems like (with fall back) they get here an hour early, and they are always a little upset with themselves," she said. "But they stay and have a cup of coffee and chat with everybody. Nobody leaves - they just stay and kind of grumble."

Comments

jystevens 5 years, 5 months ago

Robert Louis Stevenson agrees:Bed in Summerby Robert Louis StevensonIn winter I get up at night And dress by yellow candle-light. In summer quite the other way, I have to go to bed by day. I have to go to bed and see The birds still hopping on the tree, Or hear the grown-up people's feet Still going past me in the street. And does it not seem hard to you, When all the sky is clear and blue, And I should like so much to play, To have to go to bed by day?

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

If we were meant to work in the dark we would have been born with headlights!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

It will be my birthday then..wish I was able to go party for another hour.I don't care whether it's because of DST or not, I just hate cold AND dark.Warm dark is not so bad.Cold am dark is criminal. I don't know where hoomins got the idea they were supposed to be up/out of the house when it's dark anyway.I guess we should blame the ancient evildoers.

jrlii 5 years, 5 months ago

I wish they would just stick to one time.Whether that puts us in the +5 or +6 time zones, I don't care, but changing back and forth is horrible.

sandrat 5 years, 5 months ago

"An extra hour for one night. Big deal. I hate it getting dark at 5:00. Garbage. That lasts for several months."I second that. Stupid darkness at 5pm. Can't go ride my bike. Can't do anything. I propose we all start migrating like ducks.

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

geniusmannumber1 (Anonymous) says:Is there anything you people won't complain about? bndair says...Isn't that why we come here?;-)

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

""'Fall back' is usually the best, because you have an extra hour to do anything," said Ryan Neeland, 27."An extra hour for one night. Big deal. I hate it getting dark at 5:00. Garbage. That lasts for several months.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 5 months ago

Is there anything you people won't complain about?

blue73harley 5 years, 5 months ago

Rather than 'death to daylight savings time', I would rather keep in year 'round. The hassle is the twice a year change.

BrianR 5 years, 5 months ago

Larry_The_Moocher (Anonymous) says:"Biden has an extra hour to stick his foot in his mouth again."That is a real possibility.I don't like the time changing twice a year. Make it stop.

kidicarus 5 years, 5 months ago

OOOOH snap Larry! Good one. Hahahahaha. LMAO!

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 5 months ago

Biden has an extra hour to stick his foot in his mouth again.

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

As a person who gets up before dawn every morning it always feels like I "lost" an hour at one end or the other every time we "move forward" or "step back" ;-)

number3of5 5 years, 5 months ago

First of all we do not get another hour. The hours that we have remain the same, just the time that we set for daylight hours are different. This change twice a year affects our internal biological clocks. It messes with our pets internal clocks also. We have enough health problems in this country. We do not need to continue to upset things in this manner. "Death to Daylight Savings Time."