Archive for Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Gun shop licenses in Kansas increase

October 28, 2008

— There has been an increase in the number of gun shops that have a license to sell automatic weapons. But the shop owners say residents should not expect to see more heavy weapons on the street.

The new law took effect in July to allow the sale of more types of weapons, including those typically used by the military or law enforcement. The law brought Kansas in line with surrounding states.

Since then, 13 more gun shops have acquired a license, going from 32 to 45, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Nebraska has 17 licensees, Iowa has 21 and Missouri has 91.

The change was prompted by a December 2007 attorney general's opinion that said the previous state law didn't allow for the sale of certain automatic weapons.

Jerry Aday, owners of Holsters and More in Topeka, watched the law work its way through the Legislature and filed his application and $500 fee shortly after the law went into effect. He plans to use his permit to buy automatic weapons from outside Kansas and transfer them to law enforcement agencies, some of whom had trouble getting the weapons while the old state law was in question.

But Aday said residents won't be lining up for more firepower. "There's no market for them," he said.

Cost is the big factor, he said. Aday said a cheap automatic weapon could run $6,000, while a cheap M16 rifle, a common military weapon, could cost $16,000.

Requirements for residents to own the weapons could be another factor. The process requires a background check, local law enforcement approval, fingerprints, photographs, a $200 fee, a dictionary-sized book of regulations to follow and restrictions on where you can take the gun.

"If you have one of these, you've opened your house to 24-hour-a-day inspection," Aday said.

As of Dec. 31, there are 2,166 licensed automatic guns, including those owned by law enforcement agencies.

Comments

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

Medical "errors" are responsible for 30 times more deaths in America than all gun related (suicide, accidental, homicide, police related) deaths combined. Of those gun related deaths less than 2% are from automatic weapons. These are pretty much split evenly between illegal weapons and weapons issued to law enforcement. Of these I could not find one incident of legally owned full auto weapons used in commission of crime. Looks like the medical profession should be registered as a dangerous weapon. You could get a flesh wound from an accidental discharge while target practicing, then die in the emergency room from incorrect treatment / medication. Whodathunkit?

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and refer back to my 1:44pm post yesterday. I'm not a big fan of full-auto weapons for the reason stated. If you bother to look up statistics you'll find that "kill a lot of people real fast." is hardly if ever the outcome of criminal use of automatic weapons. You've been watching too many movies.

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

Never figured I could convert you, George. Just voicing my opinion. You would probably fall into the category of people who have no business being around guns. Too much attitude / anger. Send Great Grandma Jones over, she sounds like someone who isn't afraid to take control of a bad situation.;-)

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh please, give me a break. Your argument is more than lame. With your logic Great Grandma Jones could theoretically use her flour sifter to kill someone. Her "weapon" wasn't SPECIFICALLY designed to kill a lot of people really fast."People who can afford the automatic weapons look at them as you might see your custom golf clubs, your "Basstracker" fishing boat, your stamp collection, if any of those things interest you, or whatever your personal tastes are for collecting things. Many of what we look at as hobbies could be turned on someone else as a weapon, (well maybe not stamp collecting) but that would make the person dangerous, not the tool. "

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

And God bless Ted Kennedy, I wish him a complete recovery and long life, but he has killed more people with his car than I have with my guns

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

Anonymous userGeorge_Braziller (Anonymous) says:"Why are there ANY of them on the street? Automatic weapons aren't used for sport game hunting, they are designed to kill humans - to kill lots of them and to do it very quickly. There is absolutely no need for them to be legal for anyone including anyone in law enforcement."George,There are very, very few automatic weapons "on the street". Those that are, are already illegal, either smuggled into this country or illegally converted from semi-automatic firearms. Law enforcement, usually in "Swat Teams", carry this type of weapon in order to be adequately armed to counter these illegal weapons. Would you take away your local law enforcements ability to defend against that threat? People who can afford the automatic weapons look at them as you might see your custom golf clubs, your "Basstracker" fishing boat, your stamp collection, if any of those things interest you, or whatever your personal tastes are for collecting things. Many of what we look at as hobbies could be turned on someone else as a weapon, (well maybe not stamp collecting) but that would make the person dangerous, not the tool. I personally have many friends who hunt, target shoot, keep weapons for home defense and some even have concealed carry permits. A few gun owners I have met over the years that I thought were not as safe to be around due to carelessness or attitude I avoid or have nothing to do with. On occasion I have taught some basic gun handling techniques to people ages 7 to 75 who have never touched a gun before. Most end up with a better understanding of what responsible gun ownership is, those who I don't think have any business around guns are told so.I have owned or do own everything from muzzle loading black powder rifles to modern hunting weapons to so-called "black rifles" or semi-auto military style rifles. I have hunted with them all, never pointed one at another human being. I have probably fired in excess of 40,000 rounds of ammunition over the years, mostly at paper targets. At least half of those were from military style semi-auto weapons.Would I shoot another human being in defense of my family or myself? Don't break into my home in the middle of the night, neither one of us want to know the answer to that question.

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

Anonymous usermadmike (Anonymous) says:"True bndair, full-auto weapons aren't much good for self-defense unless you are going to sweep an enclosed space like an elevator."bndair, smiling, trying to visualize an elevator full of perps coming after him. **********"What do you need cannon fuse for?""Well, my cannon, of course!"**********Mike,They will never get it. They fear that which will never harm them and welcome with open arms that which will destroy them. No need to argue, time will make the point.

Liberty_One 5 years, 5 months ago

Why would we trust the military and the police with a monopoly on arms and the power to determine who can have them? Gun control has no affect on crime or violence, the only reason people are for it is because of a revulsion towards the gun as a symbol and the law-abiding people who value that symbol. You are no better than the people who are against gays simply because they don't do it, they don't like people who do, and so think it should be illegal.

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!! Obama!!!! Obama!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!Since only righties have guns, yep indeedy, I wonder if suicides will go up if and when Obama is elected. Or do you think they will go up only after he is sworn in -- on a Koran, no less!!!!The sky is falling!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!

Koolaid 5 years, 5 months ago

Insufferable liberal clowns, you are the reason we must have guns!

beobachter 5 years, 5 months ago

defender, the supreme court has never defined precisely what the 2nd amendment is. I, for one wish they would. Then we would have a starting point for our disagreements. Marion, for someone who spent a lot of time and effort trying to identify me, what is so hard to admit, you can't? It seems your skill levels aren't as good as you claim. Something I've pointed out for several years. Think the readers have long ago formed an opinion about you. Nothing more needs to be said.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says: Marion, as expected. Nothing intelligent. Who am I? Still waiting for your next fiasco at identifying me."Marion writes:Oh, yeah, like I care who you are?I know enough about you already to know that I need know no more.You are are a total nutjob; to be avoided at all costs.ohand no one cares who you are but it should be noted that you hide behind anonymity, whereas I do notThe Gentle Readers should consider that fact.

Defender 5 years, 5 months ago

beobatcher, you are not reading the whole sentence. The 2nd amendment states:"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."Security of a free state requires citizens to have the right to bear arms. You're completely wrong, absolutely and completely wrong.

beobachter 5 years, 5 months ago

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

Beobachter/Observer/ObservAr now getting all hot and sweaty.

beobachter 5 years, 5 months ago

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Read what it says, "A well regulated Militia". That does does not mean any nutcase who want's any weapon money can buy.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 5 months ago

Beobachter, I don't have enough to stave off Obama's domestic military force; maybe 15 or 16 total. I am really low on ammo too---asking for guns and ammo for birthday, Christmas, Fathers day etc. You want to go hunting sometime?

timetospeakup 5 years, 5 months ago

beobachter - which part of the 2nd amendment "Shall not be infringed" do you not understand? We clearly have a rigt to arms.

beobachter 5 years, 5 months ago

And exactly why does anyone need an automatic weapon? I understand there will always be a fringe group of total idiots out there. why make it any easier to be a total idiot? Contrary to gun nuts, there is no absolute right to own any weapon. These idiots are a lot scarier than average criminal. After all average criminal gets his guns by stealing them from average gun nut, who is not smart enough to secure them properly and securely.Tom, how many do you have on your 10 acre compound east of town?

zzgoeb 5 years, 5 months ago

The continent was secured and the Natives exterminated with single-shot muzzleloaders...so much for fire power!!! If we all had on of these, there would still be mayhem. Cry-babies that fear they will "lose their guns" have been telling us this for, oh, 50-60 years!Ese, it's called a "jody" not a limerick...

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

Why are there ANY of them on the street? Automatic weapons aren't used for sport game hunting, they are designed to kill humans -- to kill lots of them and to do it very quickly. There is absolutely no need for them to be legal for anyone including anyone in law enforcement.---------------------------------------------------"But the shop owners say residents should not expect to see more heavy weapons on the street."

tumbilweed 5 years, 5 months ago

Its so awesome that you take time to think about these things.How could I best use this to kill people? AAAhhhh an elevator!Just awesome.

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

During the Vietnam conflict fully automatic weapons averaged in excess of 5,000 rounds fired for each confirmed kill. Trained snipers averaged 1.3 rounds per confirmed kill using mostly bolt action "hunting style" rifles. Full auto is just an expensive way to waste ammunition. I guess if you can afford the gun, you can afford the ammo.Like a Rolex watch, if you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it!

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

Well if any of you want to have a firearm such as an AR-15 or handgun, you had better get before Obama takes office. I have no doubt in my mind that between him, Schumer and Kennedy, the second amendment willbe changed to suit the liberal agenda!

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

When Bill (but, but, but- - -) Clinton threatened to take away our guns, sales went through the roof. He should have gotten "The NRA gun sales leader of the decade" award.I predict Obama will have a similar effect on gun sales, should he be elected.

jrlii 5 years, 5 months ago

Invictus, yes that is high. A new M-16 costs the government (or a law enforcement agency) something like $1200. If I remember correctly, no new full-auto weapons have been added to the registry since the '80s for public purchase. Since there are only a limited number of full-auto weapons legally available for the public to purchase (and no new ones being made available) therefore they bring a nearly insane premium.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

IIRC, the federal registration of full-auto firearms for civilian ownership has been closed for decades. The market is chasing a limited number of registered guns. That is driving the prices up and up.

ese 5 years, 5 months ago

The only gun Obama will allow americans to own will be the one from the military limerick:This is my rifleThis is my gunThis is for shootingThis is for funOk, so it's not five lines.

oldvet 5 years, 5 months ago

Not a high price for a full-auto weapon, once you have the proper papers and permits... but you can purchase a legal semi-auto and a kit/instructions to do it yourself for less... just a warning, though, it is illegal (Federal gun law violation) to own any semi-auto weapon (such as an M-16 knock-off) along with the necessary parts to convert it to full auto unless you have the full auto papers and permits. That is important to know... you must have a full auto permit to even own the capability, it doesn't have to be installed...

ese 5 years, 5 months ago

Obama will take all guns away from americans.

invictus 5 years, 5 months ago

6,000 and 16,000 is that right? that seems really high.