Archive for Monday, October 27, 2008

Kansas licking wounds

If you're a fan of an offensive game plan that includes a passing attack that accumulates a lot of points, then Texas Tech would probably be your school of choice. On Saturday, the Kansas Jayhawks were trying to pull the upset over the Red Raiders - however they were dealt a much different result...

October 27, 2008

Going Deep

Sky Falling in Manhattan?

In Week 9 of Going Deep, Matt Tait and Eric Sorrentino speak with Cole Manbeck of the Kansas State Collegian. Manbeck discusses a variety of topics, including K-State fans turning on the program, coach Ron Prince's recruiting methods, the impact of Josh Freeman against KU, and what K-State must do to have a shot of beating KU in Lawrence. From what it sounds like, Wildcat fans are fed up ... big-time.

With the possible exception of game-day weather, there were probably not a lot of positives the Kansas University football coaching staff could take away from Saturday's 63-21 loss to visiting Texas Tech.

The Jayhawks gave up 556 yards of total offense. They turned the ball over five times.

Kansas coach Mark Mangino probably put it best when, afterward, he stood in front of a podium and said his team had been the recipient of a "good old-fashioned butt-whoopin."

Thing is, with the possible exception of some bruised egos and a suddenly lighter bandwagon, Saturday's loss doesn't really change much in the grand scheme of things.

The Jayhawks are still tied for first in the Big 12 North - along with Missouri and Nebraska. They're still among the country's best offensive teams, though their string of 19 straight weeks ranked in the Top 25 came to an end Sunday.

"You can't expect to play three or four years (of college football)," reasoned quarterback Todd Reesing, "without expecting to get your butt whooped every now and then."

Now, they'll face the remainder of their schedule - which doesn't get any easier in the coming weeks.

In their four remaining regular season games, the Jayhawks won't face a team ranked lower than 30th in scoring offense, while three of their next four opponents are ranked in the top 15 of the same category (Kansas State is 13th, Texas is fifth and Missouri is fourth).

And in the wake of a two-week stretch in which they have given up 108 points and 1,230 total yards to Oklahoma and Texas Tech, that might be cause for concern.

"Obviously, anytime you give up 63 points there's reason for concern," Mangino said. "Certainly we're disappointed, but we're not discouraged. If players are willing to work hard and get better, we're willing to coach them, and that's what'll happen. Our kids will fight back. They're resilient. They want to get better, and they will."

Comments

TopJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

I think a lot of it is just that the Big-12 is a beast this yr. I think when KU got down early after the to's. Everyone did let down a little......Including me. I admit that I left when Reesing threw the int. right after half-time....Realistically, KU needs two more wins. I'm not sure that is going to happen. I am not criticizing. No team in the north is doing well now. It's rough out there.

kuae99 5 years, 5 months ago

some of the difference from last year is increased expectations. imo most of it is defense. did we lose staff from last year? but i remain optimistic that these debacles may give us some mo for the biggest upset of the year. a guy can dream.

Jason Bailey 5 years, 5 months ago

The bad thing about this season is it feeds the media bias that always said, "The Hawks had an easy schedule and didn't deserve the Orange Bowl invite. They got lucky against VA Tech." I always thought those guys were dead wrong but now I'm wondering if I was drinking too much kool-aid.We didn't lose THAT much talent from last year but apparently the Hawks of 2007 were just Talib, McAnderson, and Henry. They don't even resemble the same team.Apparently we have a gaping hole in our offensive line that is lit up like a runway on game film that every opponent is trading around. Apparently we have absolutely no answer for the Spread offense and expect to win via a stout passing attack -- but how does that work when the QB has 5 seconds to get rid of the ball and Briscoe is covered by their fastest corner?We're not adjusting at all. They look like the same team that took the field against FIU, not a team that's starting to click half way through the season. I'm beginning to think the 2007 year actually was an aberration. I want to believe but I am a realist.

davidsmom 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree...against Texas Tech it looked like they just completely lost the will to live. With this mindset, it's going to be a 5-7 season.

yankeevet 5 years, 5 months ago

Seems like the hawks have lost their drive.......we shall see this weekend against K-State........

Jason Bailey 5 years, 5 months ago

From the article:"Something like that happens, all you can do is look at each other and pull together and kind of just smile, because it's one of those things like, 'Man, we really got beat today,'" junior safety Darrell Stuckey said.I just don't get it...there is a lack of urgency and accountability in sports in the KC area that has me scratching my head. You have this from the Jayhawks and Herm Edwards showing absolutely no urgency to reassure the fans that he's dealing with the problems.We expect more from the Hawks; not a smile and a chuckle when they get their hind quarters handed to them.I just don't get it.