Archive for Monday, October 27, 2008

County OKs contract for aerial photographs to track changes to buildings

October 27, 2008

Douglas County commissioners unanimously agreed on Monday to contract with Rochester, N.Y.-based Pictometry International to provide three-dimensional aerial photography of buildings in the county.

County Administrator Craig Weinaug said the $56,600 contract will allow the county to digitally measure improvements to buildings in 90 percent of the county. The county is required by law to keep track of every improvement made to structures, and the aerial photography vastly cuts down of the amount of time it takes to track improvements, he said.

Until now, Lawrence was the only city in the county to employ such technology, known as oblique photography.

Comments

howie1 6 years, 7 months ago

no crap. it cheaper to have people go by the book and get permits, and for the inspectors to do their job instead of hiding in the office playing SIMS lol. when the county wants to do something like that they need to have a vote that includes the tax payers of douglas county. thats alot of money to pay someone to take pictures. I will take that money and do the same thing for the county. just pay me 40k lol. plus insurance and 401. lol

budwhysir 6 years, 7 months ago

You have got to be kidding, the school board and now this? Cant we help our own people? At least stay within the state. Required by law??? arent we required by law to keep drunk drivers off the road??? I would sure feel better about myself if my county paid $56,000 in overtime to the police for dui check points.Don get me started on whay kind of laws we live under. Up to know I have been kind of funny but, its time to get serious. What are we thinkin???

notajayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Now, where are all the fine folks who railed against wiretapping? Aerial surveillence of your property is just fine, right? (I can't wait until someone's garden is photographed containing some unlicensed weedy products, to see how fast they're screaming their rights are being trampled.)

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 7 months ago

We are in a recession. What a waste of taxpayer money at this time. You people spend OUR money like there's no tomorrow. It will come back and bite all of you in the butt! Thank you, Lynn

compmd 6 years, 7 months ago

If UAVs were legal, this would be much cheaper.

budwhysir 6 years, 7 months ago

I have an x a sketch and a flying go cart. If they pay for my gas I can do this for about $25,000. Thats half priceI get about 400 miles to the gallon in my hybrid flying go cart. Go figure if gas goes down to 2.20 a gallon, I could cover the whole state

Fort_Aubrey 6 years, 7 months ago

In Shawnee County, this cost is a shared one:- Authorized county appraiser Mark Hixon to spend $37,500 for new digital aerial "orthophotography." That would be matched with $37,500 from the city of Topeka and $25,000 from the United State Geological Survey.

grimpeur 6 years, 7 months ago

nota, do you think that anybody who really gives a rat about surveillance, or is inclined to actually do anything about it, let alone anyone who actually works on these issues, is going to waste their time in here? Hilarious. Sign #37 that this piece of ship is taking itself way too seriously.Seen what passes for citizen journalism lately? Apparently, anything goes. No content or thought required. I'd think it even more embarrassing to actual journalists than the editorials. Hard to believe, I know.