Archive for Monday, October 27, 2008

Animal causes overnight K10 accident; only minor injuries reported

October 27, 2008

A one car rollover accident around 12:30 a.m. on Kansas Highway 10 injured a 19-year-old Lawrence man, authorities said Monday.

The driver of a 2005 Ford Focus swerved to miss an animal in the roadway at mile marker 12, near Eudora, said Douglas County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kari Wempe.

Eric Heikkila, the driver of the car, was transported by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. There were no passengers in the Lawrence man's car, Wempe said.

Comments

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

Please slow down.... roll-over accidents don't sound good to this person.

ryknow1976 6 years, 3 months ago

The spirits are lashing out against this town.

notajayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

I know the story did not say it was a deer. However, for those of you that may come upon the following situation:When you approach a deer standing still at the side of the road, SLOW DOWN and expect it to leap in front of you. Deer have peripheral vision that extends almost all the way round - as you approach, their shadow from your headlights moves around behind them, which they sense as movement and leap forward to escape. This has happened to me at least a dozen times, and the first couple, before I knew they did this, were rather interesting events.

hujiko 6 years, 3 months ago

It's deer mating season, watch out for them especially from dusk until dawn. If you see one, there are probably others. The 16th of November is the peak of their mating season, then their activity dies down substantially.

hoosier 6 years, 3 months ago

insurance won't help you unless you hit the animal. isn't that just ridiculous.

notajayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Isn't anyone going to theorize the deer must have been drunk or talking on a cell phone?

dweezil222 6 years, 3 months ago

DRsmith (Anonymous) says: Hit the animal.=================================If it was a deer, I wouldn't go plowing into it with a Focus.

ryknow1976 6 years, 3 months ago

K-10, Oread, KU's defense, the T, road quality, city budget; the list goes on and on. We're 2 meth labs and a murder away from being Topeka.

littlejaks04 6 years, 3 months ago

I drive K-10 to Kansas City at least 5 days a week. My advice...people need to pay attention when they're driving. Out of my 5 days someone comes into my lane or tries to merge into me at least 3 of them. And driving 10 under the speed limit doesn't help. As for deer. There's really nothing you can do about them except run right into them.

ralphralph 6 years, 3 months ago

You're better off to hit the deer than to flip your car -- even in a Focus. Hit the brakes, turn in a VERY narrow range if it will make it a less-direct hit, but do NOT swerve. As for keeping an eye out for deer .... that's probably not much use. I've never hit one that I saw first. The math is overwhelming that you won't hit a deer, so just keep your eyes on the road like usual .... you all ARE usually keeping your attention on the road, aren't you??????

Lenette Hamm 6 years, 3 months ago

Is there some subliminal demonic reference in "K-10"? I'm so sorry that yet another person has been injured, but find this latest rash of serious accidents very distressing.....

John Hamm 6 years, 3 months ago

I wouldn't want to hit anything larger than a small dog with a Focus.

gccs14r 6 years, 3 months ago

A Focus doesn't need any help to roll over. That's what Fords do, that and hop into reverse and catch fire.

howie1 6 years, 3 months ago

Nobody wants to hit an "animal" but why would you risk your own life or someone elses you may hit while swerving to miss an "animal".