Archive for Sunday, October 26, 2008

Nigerians send medical equipment home

October 26, 2008

Two men originally from Nigeria are seeking donations of medical equipment to send back to hospitals and clinics in their home country.

Earlier this month, Larry Ojeleye, 44, who owns Affordable Limousine Services, and Innocent Ndubuisi, 41, a sonographer at Overland Park Regional Medical Center, put two mammogram units on a semitrailer to begin their journey to a state hospital in Nigeria.

"A lot of the things that are not usable here can be very much in use there," Ndubuisi said.

Both men said thousands of people in Nigeria can't afford proper health care, including early detection of severe health problems.

Ojeleye said it's "heartbreaking" to hear people died a month after discovering they had cancer.

Ndubuisi was inspired to help the hospital when visiting his family in 2005. He contracted malaria and went to a hospital for treatment.

"When I was there, I noticed how this guy (a doctor) did a lot of work for the indigent population," he said. "That really moved me. He had a nice setup, but he didn't have any equipment."

Ndubuisi said when he returned home he asked his boss, Peg McElhinney, director of radiology, whether there was any unused or out-of-date equipment he could send home. McElhinney said that in May, the hospital switched to digital mammogram units and donated its older units to Ndubuisi.

Ndubuisi asked Ojeleye for help. Ojeleye paid the shipping costs to send the mammogram units and a few wheelchairs to Nigeria. Ndubuisi said Nigeria's deputy governor of Kwara State, Joel Ogundeji, who was recently visiting family in Kansas City, Mo., returned this week to Nigeria to coordinate with the ministry of health to transport the equipment to a hospital there. Ogundeji said state hospital staff have used mammogram units, but theirs are "dilapidated."

"We know things are tough right now," Ojeleye said. "Whatever anybody could do to help us in helping out these poor people, because you know with cancer, sometimes if you catch it earlier, you save people's life."

Anyone who would like to make a donation is asked to contact Ojeleye at 841-0463.

Comments

camper 5 years, 5 months ago

Forgive my post, but other than geographics, my 1st knowledge of the people of Nigeria came by being a Houston Rockets fan. Akeem Olajuwon was one of the most dignified stars that ever played in Houston. Some of the things he said struck me as a youngster. When he was down because of an irregular heartbeat, he said he did not care too much, "if it is my time to go, it is my time to go". I also remember a fun time when I had seats below the goal and during pre-game some silly ad came on the big board screen with Olajuwon, his teamate Lewis Loyd came up to him and pointed to the screeen, where they both doubled up in laughter! All in all Akeem was one of the most intelligent and humble men to ever play ball in Houston.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

50YearResident (Anonymous) says: All this comment would mean more if it were not the fact that most of the scams on the internet are being commited by Nigerians. If you get a email from Nigeria you can bet your a that you are about to get screwed out of something if you respond."Marion writes:And this article has exactly WHAT to do with 419 scams?Nothing; that's what.You get a nice article about LEGAL immigrants to the USA operating a successful business who do things for the people back in their birthplace and the HATRED comes right out!You scumbuckets have the bloody nerve to accuse ME of "hateful" posts!As Barry Mcguire said, "It ain't me, Babe! No, no, no, it aint' me, Babe!"I think the problem is that most you work in your pathetic day jobs, hate the success of others and hate it even more when two guys who fought their way out of a Third World country come here and are MORE successful than you could ever hope to be or ever will be!So much for the "diversity" of Lawrence!You suck!

50YearResident 5 years, 5 months ago

All this comment would mean more if it were not the fact that most of the scams on the internet are being commited by Nigerians. If you get a email from Nigeria you can bet your a** that you are about to get screwed out of something if you respond.

kansasplains 5 years, 5 months ago

I am completely ashamed, as well, at the Xwards post. This guy knows nothing about Africa and moreover, he has a very crass post. These guys are doing something worthwhile and which is really needed! Lawrence

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

Xwards (Anonymous) says: Sorry I can't donate right now because I sent all my money to a Nigerian lawyer. As soon as I get that 2.3 million dollar bequest from that poor government official that died in a plane accident, I can share some of my wealth."Marion writes:You know, Xwards, that is a pretty crummy post.I have Nigerian clients, educated in the USA and Britain who are honest as the day is long and your miserable post is demeaning to the largest percentage of the Nigerian population and you should be ashamed.

Xwards 5 years, 5 months ago