Archive for Saturday, October 25, 2008

Two people killed in fiery K-10 car crash

Two cars on Kansas Highway 10 were engulfed in flames Saturday night shortly before 8 p.m. This video footage was captured with a cell phone.

October 25, 2008, 8:10 p.m. Updated October 26, 2008, 8:59 a.m.

Two people killed in fiery K-10 car crash

Emergency responders inspect the scene of a two-car accident that killed two people Saturday on K-10 west of the highway's intersection with Wakarusa Drive. Enlarge video

A 59-year-old local man died Saturday night when the car he was driving was struck by a vehicle that had crossed the center line and was driving in the wrong lane of Kansas Highway 10, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

Allen L. Eastland, Lawrence, was driving his 1990 Dodge pickup truck west on the South Lawrence Trafficway when he encountered a 2003 Ford SUV driven by 51-year-old Daniel J. Harpool, Lake Lotawana, Mo., who was headed east. The two vehicles collided, causing both vehicles to catch fire and killing the two men.

Both vehicles were fully engulfed in flames when emergency responders arrived on the scene about 7:45 p.m. The South Lawrence Trafficway was immediately closed - and remained off-limits to traffic for several hours.

Stacy Burgen, 38, was driving back to Lawrence from Topeka with her family when they drove up on the accident. Burgen said they were driving east on Clinton Parkway past the roundabout at Lake Pointe Drive when they noticed flames.

"As we got closer we realized it was a vehicle," Burgen said. "My husband stopped at the bottom of the hill and we just saw the truck, then my son saw the other car on what appeared to be on the road."

Burgen said she didn't hear any sirens so she called 911.

"It was scary," she said. "You could tell that nobody had survived. The doors weren't open or anything."

Edna Buttler, technical trooper for KHP, said alcohol may be a factor, but the accident was still under investigation. According to the accident report, it is unknown if Eastland was wearing a seat belt. Harpool is said to have been wearing one.

The accident occurred at mile marker 2 on the SLT, just west of Lawrence.

Lindsay Simms, 19, said she was watching television with a friend in her apartment at Pinnacle Woods when she heard the crash.

"I didn't think anything of it," she said.

When she walked her friend out, Simms said she "smelled something and saw a bunch of cop lights and saw flames."

This is the third accident on K-10 in four days.

On Thursday, 21-year-old James Keeton was killed when the car he was driving collided with another in the same area as Saturday's accident. On Wednesday, 23-year-old Stephanie Rush was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center after a two-vehicle accident on K-10, east of Lawrence. Rush has since been released from the hospital.

Comments

ku_tailg8 6 years, 1 month ago

People just need to learn to be safe drivers. I couldn't believe k-10 yesterday heading back to KC after the football game. If you weren't doing 85 then you were getting blown by other drivers. Is the extra 3 minutes you save by speeding really worth endangering yourself and others?

justthefacts 6 years, 1 month ago

Barb says it all. Having also recently lost a close friend in an accident (caused by him having a stroke, not by any road or human error), and after reading many thoughtless comments and criticisms from anonymous posters, it seems to me that many people who engage in hurling personal accusations and using such tragedies as a personal platform for their own agendas lose sight of the fact that deaths such as these involve real live human beings who have friends and families. Please people. Keep that in mind before you start hurling unfounded accusations around and giving advice that does not fit the situation. You or your loved ones should not have to go through what you put others through in your hurry to be witty or sarcastic.

selah 6 years, 1 month ago

For what it's worth:I worked with Allen for several years at the maintenance shop as a student worker. During that time, I adopted him as my "college dad", and he helped me out more times than I can count. He was always joking around, always willing to give someone a hand when they needed it. So for everyone talking about how many lanes the highway does or does not have, or what you think should happen to drunk drivers, remember that you're talking about a PERSON here, and a damn good one at that, and be glad that you're not personally affected by this. My sympathies to all families and friends involved. I hope neither driver had to suffer.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 1 month ago

Are you really confused? Obviously, some people are jumping to conclusions based on this statement....Edna Buttler, technical trooper for KHP, said "alcohol may be a factor,"

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

I am deeply sorry for the families of both people and I will be praying for you all. I really love reading the posts from people who knew these two gentlemen and I encourage more people to do so. My prayers are with you.

frankfussman 6 years, 1 month ago

bpitts65 6 years, 1 month ago

KSChick1 Thank you for the nice comment. I have been a good friend of Allan's for a number of years and the way you described him is how I will remember him. I am just shocked that this happened.

passionatelibra 6 years, 1 month ago

Am I missing something? Where does it say that a driver was drunk??

journeymanstation 6 years, 1 month ago

State accident records around the Us prove divided hwys save lives. I believe in environment. I also believe human life. Why cant the road be finished from iowa to clinton pkwy. The road bed is already in place.

journeymanstation 6 years, 1 month ago

I cant believe there is another wreck with fatalities. I was one of the first people at the other one 2 days ago. This is insane to see again. The state needs to finish k-10

journeymanstation 6 years, 1 month ago

I am going to talk to a senators. Ill be seeing them in 10 days. They will be at this function in Johnson county. My girlfriend, and her family are going. If the state legislators, and gov. wont do anything. I will see if are elected officials in Washington will. They can put presser on or state gov.

passionatelibra 6 years, 1 month ago

I know Allen from work. He always had a smile and a hello for me and had this amazing ability to make me laugh no matter what my mood was. I am going to miss him greatly. My condolences to all those who hold him in their hearts.

M. Lindeman 6 years, 1 month ago

listening to the scanner there is at least two fatities with this accident.

hujiko 6 years, 1 month ago

I was in the State Park but didnt hear anything, I got there sometime near 7:00, so I am glad I didnt have to share the road with such an accident, I dont know what I could have done to help them even if I were there. Lots of trucks still blocking off the entrances people, it's best to wait and get information in the morning and not disturb any of the hard working officers out there with your traffic.

tddybr76 6 years, 1 month ago

My cousin is Allen's youngest son. I just want to say first of all that my heart is with both families at this tragic time. Allen and my Aunt divorced when I was very small but I still remember how he was. He was very awnry. He always was funny and liked to make people laugh and tease them. He will be greatly missed.There is one thing on here that has been coming up alot that really aggravates me though...People keep talking about the highways and a possible drunk driver...First of all 2 people just lost their lives and both families are in alot of pain right now. I really don't believe this is the time to be putting blame on anyone or have a political discussion. How about just showing sympathy for the families and dropping it!

davidmcg 6 years, 1 month ago

There were two victims, both in their50's. One from Lawrence, one from Lake Lotawana MO. You can read it on the KHP Crash Log page.

littleone 6 years, 1 month ago

My condolences to both families...but these blogs are here for people to express opinions. If you know how bad some of these comments can get on here, maybe you should just not read them..I know if it was my family, I wouldnt, just because I know how some people can be...again...My condolences to both families, but this does not change my opinion about the drunk driver who caused this accident. Truly sorry for the family of the innocent driver who did not see it happen.

britstyx 6 years, 1 month ago

Sad indeed. I was coming home from Topeka when I encountered the scene before the emergency crews got there. All I could think of was those poor people. It would be a miracle if anyone escaped from that. It was a very sombre drive home from that point.My thoughts are with the relatives of the deceased and injured, and with the witnesses: they must be in a state of shock too.

aha 6 years, 1 month ago

we were watching from our balcony also. with all of the emergency vehicles that are there now, it cannot be good.

thebigspoon 6 years, 1 month ago

Think when you drive. No distractions like cell phones and text messaging. If you are late, face up to it and don't put other people in harms way because of your selfishness.Don't let people get away with this. Laws are not meant to be broken.

lunacydetector 6 years, 1 month ago

this first leg being a two lane from the start is b.s. history revisionism at its best. the road was originally going to be a 4 lane divided highway that connects with k-10 to the east of lawrence.most people in lawrence do not remember that clinton parkway was 4 lanes all the way to the dam road intersection. it was later narrowed to two lanes that now intersect with the dam road. the reason for the narrowing to the later 2 lane road was the clinton pkwy overpass had to be constructed to allow only for a 2 lane road underneath, though it originally was going to be constructed as a 4 lane overpass. why the change? too many court cases taking too much money, too much time passed, eventually leading to the eventual lack of funding for the 4 lane divided highway. something is better than nothing, even if it's not as safe by any means. something had to be done to set a precedent, thus the 2 lane road.it's really quite simple, the environmentalists don't want the SLT and don't care about human beings.

birdsandflowers 6 years, 1 month ago

frankfussman says:"Maybe the other driver thought this was a 4-lane divided highway, and he was driving on both lanes as if they were both for drivers headed east, i.e. like the turnpike and the Interstate."Interesting observation. I have driven that stretch many times heading east and, especially at night, right there at the curve where the accident occurred, you see Clinton Parkway's traffic coming from the east. It very easily could confuse someone unfamiliar with the road.Several years back when I was working at a building just north of the site where this accident occurred, another accident happened in almost the exact same location. It also was a fatality and if my memory serves me right, the gentleman who died was from Missouri and was probably not familiar with the highway.In my opinion, the road is not well designed.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 1 month ago

If it truly was a non-preventable accident, so be it.If alcohol was involved then YES, there needs to be outrage.Do not shirk the responsibility of drinking and driving. It can be deadly for you AND for others.

barbwilliams 6 years, 1 month ago

I just pray that Allen and the other person involved, were gone before the fire started.

redmoonrising 6 years, 1 month ago

A lot of families are in pain this week due to all these accidents. My heart and prayers go out to all of them. This is very hard for families of the victims to deal with.A few years ago my nephew died due to an accident similar to this last one, fiery. A man swung directly into his lane in front of him. My nephew was a welder, driving a truck carrying oxygen and acetylene. He was burned severeiy over 90% of his body and lived 3 weeks. No alcohol was involved, nor human error apparently. This other driver, according to his family, was suicidal. No way of knowing for sure of course. There are many reasons these accidents happen. It only takes a single moment of distraction or intention. We need to be constantly aware when we drive. Even then there are no guarantees. Let's hope this is the last accident and no more people die or are injured on any of our streets or roads. But I have driven around Lawrence enough to know that it takes professional driving skills to drive here.

handley 6 years, 1 month ago

I to drive that stretch highway 2 to 3 times a week a couple of weeks ago me and car in front of me were stopped at the stop light' the light turned green and we started out and a pickup or suv passed us on the right hand side going 60 or 70 mph which is illegal to start with. how safe is this?

geekin_topekan 6 years, 1 month ago

Talk to a senators?See of are elected officials?My girlfriend(comma)and her family are going?They can put pressure on or state gov.?

brother_cumulus 6 years, 1 month ago

"Think when you drive. No distractions like cell phones and text messaging.If you are late, face up to it and don't put other people in harms way because of your selfishness."Selfishness? Ummm...two people just burned to death. I am glad you're pushing your personal agenda at a time like this.

Best_of_Whats_Around 6 years, 1 month ago

Merrill, why cut and paste the same exact ridiculous trash here that you wrote on the SLT article? You have problems.

Ramona 6 years, 1 month ago

I too am a cousin of Allan's and live in Oklahoma. My Mother called me earlier to tell me of the horrible accident claiming his life. Along with Barb, I pray that both drivers were gone before the fire started. Anyone that knew Allan, well, just thinking of him puts a smile on your face. He was a fun loving, ornery, make you laugh kind of guy. He loved his family and friends. No matter what when you were around him you had better be ready to laugh, he was always our source of entertainment. I will truly miss him, miss his smile, miss his laugh, miss talking to him (and his stories)and getting his emails. My heart goes out to his Fiance', his children and the rest of our family. I just wish I was closer to be with everyone. Our families have been thru a lot this last month, and please know that all of you are in my heart and my prayers. I'm not familiar with the road that everyone is talking about, and as Barb said at this point it doesn't do anyone any good to go around pointing blame. None of us were there, not sure if there were any witnesses, we just know we lost a great man. I will say thank you to everyone who has sent condolences, they are truly appreciated.

Navyboi6869 6 years, 1 month ago

I cannot believe this!!! I will also be taking a different route to work. RIP James, he was a great guy. I work out by clinton lake and when I closed that night I was going to take K-10 home to Wakarusa but they were blocking the on/off ramps to K-10. I could not believe all the emergency vehicles I saw as I was driving down Clinton Parkway. I had just passed on this stretch of road earlier that morning and its kinda scary to think about.

lostcreek 6 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the up date on maria . You do a great things for poeple!

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

from what i see, its right at the bottom of the hill, so if someone was trying to pass and wasnt paying attention...again... thats to blame, not how many lanes the highway has. Not to mention alcohol, if it was a factor. At LEASt 5 times a day I hear tires screeching, a car speeding by too fast, or something like that from the stoplight to right around the area this accident happened. Its sad that this had to happen.

RaynRavyn 6 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence has a huge number of accidents because everyone comes from "somewhere else". If you travel to other areas, people drive differently from one another, but consistantly to their area. However, if you bring a bunch of poeple from various places they are still going to drive like they do "at home". It just isn't going to be consistant anymore, and it's going to cause accidents. ( and cell phones, radios, gps, and whatever else you're playing with in your car don't help either..... Just Sayin')

exkuhousing 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow! I can't believe Allen is gone. I worked with him for a few years and he was the nicest guy in the shop. He ate every experiment I made, he gave me rides home all the time, he fixed so many appliances for me it's not even funny. He even helped fix my car. I can't believe he is gone. I haven't seen him in over a year but I still think about him every single day. I can't imagine what his family is going through.

justmehere 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm just wondering if the fact the West entrance to the turnpike is closed has played a part in increased traffic on this stretch of K-10? I find myself using SLT far more than I ever used to since the Westbound entrance has been closed. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Nonetheless it's still a very tragic loss for the families who have lost loved ones.

Strontius 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't think it's pushing an agenda to call for greater personal responsibility when it comes to driving. Bad driving knows no gender or age, and accidents like this should be a reminder of both the fragility of life and the need to pay more attention to other drivers and assume that other people will make mistakes. In the past month in and around Lawrence, I've had cars pull out in front of me, fail to signal, weave in and out of traffic, speed, and tailgate. I've even seen someone driving a large SUV while on their cell phone and looking at one of those GPS systems. Not exactly the safest behavior. I won't pretend to know the solution to these problems, and certainly there is no silver bullet. But it certainly doesn't do any harm to point out that far too many people are distracted while driving and making poor decisions as a result.

littleone 6 years, 1 month ago

I do have total respect for the families of the deceased. But what pisses me off the most, is that a driver, gets behind the wheel drinking and puts everybody elses life in jeopardy when he starts that missle up. I am sorry, but I have no sympathy for that driver. I do, however, have sympathy for his family. I just wish that people would think twice before drinking and driving. Look how many families he has affected by doing it. He was someones brother, son, uncle, etc. Shame on him.

drivinuptown 6 years, 1 month ago

This is a very sad day for me. I was called very early this morning by my brother-in-law Dale Eastland with the news of Allen. It ripped me apart. I loved Allen like he was my nephew too. He always had a big smile every time I saw him and he loved to tease me and my sisters. He will be missed terribly.

shorttrees 6 years, 1 month ago

My sympathies to the families of the victims. This is just so sad that there have been so many accidents and deaths lately. Too bad people have to push agendas when these things happen, and can't even stop long enough to express condolences or consider the loved ones left behind. Yes, that's people like you Merrill.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 1 month ago

what a low life merrill. shows how much esteem any of your blather deserves! merrill wants us to have rolling power outages to enforce energy conservation too! that'd contribute so much to traffic safety. ***this is starting to feel like last june, too d---d many people dying! maybe some people who do research at KU need to do a study of human factors in all the recent accidents, develop a public information campaign based on findings. I'm serious. far too many accidents, K10 east, this k10, etc. let's stop the dying, do more than just words.

nascarmomma 6 years, 1 month ago

Also was driving home from Topeka and saw the flames. The truck was completely engulfed. I called 911 since I didn't hear ANY sirens at all!! They seemed like I was the first to call. We were sitting in the Miller Mart Parking lot before the ambulance even headed that way. It got there before any one else. There has been way to many accidents and fatalities in the last seveal days! It was very sad and scary!!!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

As I suggested Governor Sebelius should consider a larger state trooper permanent assignment to K-10. K-10 is widely known for its' fast and reckless drivers throughout the KCMO metro and Lawrence metro. Governor Sebelius must know it well by now.If a large shipment of meth is discovered call in the drug team then get the traffic cops back on the road.

KSChick1 6 years, 1 month ago

I knew Allen, just saw him last Wednesday. Always smiling and laughing and cutting up. So sorry to his family for their loss. Sorry to the other family too.I don't care if someone was drunk driving. The penalty for that is not death. This is sad. Slow down people!!!!!

ku_tailg8 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't see a problem with k-10 starting in Lenexa all the way to Lawrence. Yes people do 90 to 100 on it but it is not poorly designed. Lawrence needs to get their heads out of their rear ends and make a bypass so not all of the K-10 traffic is funneled onto 23rd street. Screw the "wetlands".

journeymanstation 6 years, 1 month ago

I thin I will take another route to take in that area. I hope this will be a wake up call for the state to take care of this stretch of 10.

barbwilliams 6 years, 1 month ago

This is to the ones worried about who did what or if if the the stupid freaking trafficway. I had to learn that it was my cousin, Allen, that died in the accident, by me daughter who had just heard it on the news. I had to get on here to find out this morning if it was really true because I knew nothing! Why do you go on and on about the stupid road or who did what. Two lives were lost and it really makes me sick that you are more interested in road or how it happened. What makes the difference now? We don't really know what happened, so don't judge anyone or anything. If I read some of the comments like the young man who was called a prick, and the man who said that had just comforted the young lady that was in the wreck, I would be sick if I were family reading that, no matter what happened! Where does anyone get off judging anyone. I am tired of anyone out there who judges someone everytime something happens that is bad. If you want to judge them, then don't put it on the freaking comments where anyone can see them. I love Allen, and his sister just passed not long ago. I am already devastated by having to hear about him second hand from the news. Allen worked at KU in Student Housing with me, and I am very upset right now. Just stop the nonsense, to those of you who are so worried about what caused it , or if it was the road. What makes the difference, he is gone, and so we cannot change what happened, and we never know what exactly happened either. So, why don't you keep all you comments about those things for later, and maybe think more like some of the people who are concerned for the family and his fiancee' or even the other persons family. They did nothing to deserve this tragic event, and it is hard to even believe it has happened right now.

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 1 month ago

Something is very wrong but I do not find a common denominator. There have been 5...count them 5...accidents on K-10 (the "real" K-10 and the bypass) within this week with 4 fatalities. Bitching to the city is going to be worthless. Bitching to the county is going to be worthless. It might do some good to contact the Sheriff or the District Attorney and have them initiate some sort of investigation regarding all of these accidents and refer the matter to the appropriate agency for review. Personally it just seems like driver errors over which there is no control. People driving anywhere need to just pay attention...any one of us can become one of these innocent victims at the hands of another who is texting, talking or driving inattentively or while under the influence.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

And as always special thanks to merrill for his superior knowledge.Even a tragic event like this won't stop him from mouthin' off about how he knows better then the rest of us about everything. Its an accident dude, and its sad especially if alcohol was involved because then it was preventable. But we don't know anything yet about the circumstances of this accident except that two people with lives and family are gone and that is very sad.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

YES! I heard the "pops" as well, i thought it was a transformer blowing until i saw the ambulance go by...so sad.

Tongie_soccer 6 years, 1 month ago

Just FYI - The sound several people have reported hearing was most likely the tires popping. It almost sounds like gun fire.

journeymanstation 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow I am glad I left town for the weekend. I travel that road almost everyday. Oh by the way. Maria from the wreck earlier this week. She has had her second surgery yesterday. She has a long road ahead of her. She is not out of the dark yet.

brm08 6 years, 1 month ago

also watched from my balcony. the flames were huge, and it seemed like it took a long time for them to put out the fire! it looked really bad. it was strange...i was sitting inside and i kept hearing these loud "pops" - kind of like gun shots, but not exactly. after 3 or 4 of those, i looked out the window and saw the flames. i just looked out my window about a minute ago and there are still tons of emergency vehicles out there. it's a sad sight!

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 1 month ago

Why is everyone saying "slow down"? Did it say speed was a factor? Or was someone just not paying attention? If someone crossed the centerline of a highway and they hit head on they could be driving below the speed limit and still be killed. It doesn't take much for a car to be crunched.

ChicagoAlum 6 years, 1 month ago

Stop arguing and SLOW DOWN.. I hear about enough deaths here in Chicago.. I hate to hear about deaths in the place I love to call home.. I love Lawrence and Douglas county and everything it stands for.. Stop casting blame and pray for the families who have suffered. And please, just slow down!

brm08 6 years, 1 month ago

just looked out my window again.....seems as though a lot of people are out here trying to get a look at the mess. my advice is to just stay away. still tons of emergency vehicles out here, but you really won't see much if you drive by. just stay at home and say a prayer for everyone involved!

lunacydetector 6 years, 1 month ago

this road was supposed to be a divided four lane highway! shouldn't the blame go to the people who fought this highway's construction, turning a 4 laner into a 2 laner? i'm sure 'they' don't give a rip, but how many more people are going to get killed just to keep pleasing a very few? when this stretch of road started being built someone went out and sabotaged the construction equipment causing thousand of dollars in damage. there have now been at least 6 people killed on this stretch of highway that i can recall. the JW should do a little story of this stretch's history before it was built and after it was built and how many people's lives have been tragically cut short. i'm sure dolph can help with its history.may these victims all rest in peace.

shannanturner1 6 years, 1 month ago

I think we should have a moment of silence and pray for all of these people and their families as there have been too many fatalities in the past ten days.

SMe 6 years, 1 month ago

Seems there are those who are definitely concerned over the victims in this and the other accidents - then there are those who absolutely must given any chance turn the discussion to their political agendaAs an aside. From my recollections the SLT was initially planned to be a super-two from 6th to 59 (on 4-lane right of way so it could be expanded if necessary) then go to 4 lanes to the eastern terminus.And as a second aside anybody remember seeing this letter?media.ljworld.com/pdf/2006/05/MPOLetterFHWA.doc. hmmm can't get a link to it.

brm08 6 years, 1 month ago

the flames were huge, and they burned for a long time. don't know how anyone could have survived that - i've never seen a car fire like that one! tragic!

M. Lindeman 6 years, 1 month ago

either way it has just been a sad last few day's for that stretch of road.

maveric 6 years, 1 month ago

I heard it all from my scanner, this is very sad, very sad more lives have to be taken on this stretch of highway, personally i think WE the people need to go to the city hall meeting every Tuesday night and PUSH this issue with the city officials, I can't stand this BS and this road the SLT should of never been built, but I guarantee you I will be at the city hall meeting come Tuesday and I will personally BITCH to have something done, if it takes me a year to walk this WHOLE town to git people to sign on a piece of paper I'll do it and then forward it to the so called Sebilius woman, this BS of families losing love ones is down right wrong and we the people need to MAKE A STAND PERIOD. now who has balls to face the city, I will be there

breenjeans 6 years, 1 month ago

Allan used to be my uncle (by marriage), therefore his son is my cousin. Our grandmother also passed away in September so I know that Allan's son, as well as the rest of Allan's family, is hurting immensly, especially with the recent passing of Allan's sister. Too much pain for any family. Allan and his boy(s) were extremely close and Barb is right. Just have sympathy for the families and drop the other issues. Whether it could have been prevented or not, it WASN'T, so let it go.Barb and other famiy members reading this, I am so sorry for your loss. Allan is definitely going to be missed. I remember his sense of humor and his just plain lovable, fun, self.

ksmax 6 years, 1 month ago

I personally knew Allan, he was a good guy and a great friend! I was so sad to see this, this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to both family's. RIP

waddles4 6 years, 1 month ago

MY CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO THE FAMILIES OF THE VICTIMS. BARRIERS NEED TO BE INSTALLED NOW. MONEY SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE, SAVING LIVES SHOULD BE THE CONCERN.

bpitts65 6 years, 1 month ago

I just talked to Allen probably a couple of hours before this happened.

ChicagoAlum 6 years, 1 month ago

I hope that no more accidents like this occur. Bless everyone back in Lawrence, and in Kansas.. Remain safe and slow down please

waddles4 6 years, 1 month ago

4 PEOPLE HAVE DIED ON K10 IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME KIND OF BARRIER INSTALLED BETWEEN THE EAST AND WEST BOUND LANES PREVENTING PEOPLE FROM CROSSING OVER INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC. IT HARD ENOUGH WITH THE SPEEDS ON THIS ROAD TO KEEP AN EYE ON TRAFFIC ON YOUR SIDE OF THE ROAD. NOW WE NEED TO WATCH THE WHOLE AREA AND MAKE SURE SOMEONE ISNT COMING ACROSS FROM THE MEDIAN FROM THE OTHER LANES OF TRAFFIC. THESE BARRIERS NEED TO BE INSTALLED ASAP.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Before other disasters strike let's start making plans for some roads that make sense. It's been a sad week for too many families. If reckless driving is involved four lanes may never make up for that.In addition to making 4 lanes on the western leg lets' consider I-70 connectors to the East.This concept accomplishes many things. It services:¢ Johnson and Douglas counties' traffic going to northwest Lawrence or Topeka.¢ the Eudora Business Park east of 1057.¢ East Hills Business Park and the southeast Lawrence industrial park.¢ the Lawrence airport.And it:¢ diverts traffic around the city.¢ keeps the SLT out of the wetlands.¢ reduces congestion for morning and afternoon commuters.¢ might save Douglas County taxpayers millions of dollars.¢ is prudent use of tax dollars.¢ eliminates the need for an eastern bypass.¢ eliminates much large truck traffic on 23rd Street.¢ allows KTA fees to pay for the highway and the maintenance.

brm08 6 years, 1 month ago

last thing i want to say about this...this as a very tragic event. i watched it all for about 45 minutes from my balcony, and i want you all to know that it was an aweful fire. i hope the people who normally post thoughtless, cruel comments on here will stay away.

alakazam 6 years, 1 month ago

i just drove by and channel 5 was making a u turn at wakarusa and clinton trying to go back to the scene. there were a ton of vehicles still there and there was2 troopers one when you come off of ten to clinton parkway and the other was half way down towards the next light. i didn't know what was happening till i got home and got on here. the fire people looked like they were packing up stuff but not putting it on the truck yet. oh and there is what looks like a dump truck on the highway by the exit to clinton parkway behind the baracades with it's lights flashing.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 1 month ago

I could see the flames from my balcony! What the heck is goin on with K-10 lately. I hope no one was hurt!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

This two lane speedway was a mistake in the first place. County commissioners decided to move ahead and spend the federal dollars before there was money enough to do the western leg right. Now before concerning themselves with the "eastern leg" they might want to make the western leg safe,add an interchange at 15th and build a pedestrian bridge to YSI.Only one problem the County Commissioners may have spent all available funds that included a bridge to nowhere.In essence the western leg is an I-70 connector. Establish a I-70 connector on the east between Eudora and Desoto using existing interchange 1057. All should be KTA toll roads.

barbwilliams 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, "just the facts" and those who have posted their condolences.

biggn 6 years, 1 month ago

word has it one of the vehicles was being driven by a drunk driver. Not sure of the validity of that yet.

ralphralph 6 years, 1 month ago

Darn kids! They need to raise the driving age to 60!

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry to hear that Barb. This happens every time there is a tragedy. It's easy for people not affected to talk, point fingers, give their professional opinions, etc. then go on about their day. Ultimately, those who are affected read those comments and become upset because it's more personal for them. Perhaps the Journal World should consider not allowing comments on these types of stories. Rarely does any good come from allowing random comments from anonymous posters regarding loss of life.

aha 6 years, 1 month ago

I heard the "pops" too, and it was not long after that, that we heard the cops/fire race down K10. At that time we saw the fire from our balcony. But, what's strange is I never heard a "crash" or anything, so I wonder what caused the fire.Very, very sad. My prayers to all of the families involved.

harpool 6 years, 1 month ago

Dan was a fun, hard-working, selfless guy who loved his step children, ex-wife, brothers, sisters and nephews and nieces and sports. He was sensitive and caring. The thing that would have caused him (and currently his loved ones) the greatest pain is to know that - for whatever caused his vehicle to crossover and hit another vehicle - someone else died . Again our deepest sympathy and prayers to all affected. My last comment on this blog

justme2 6 years, 1 month ago

"it's really quite simple, the environmentalists don't want the SLT and don't care about human beings."Oh puhlease.........

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey all, I have a very serious question: does anyone have any statistics on accidents, particularly fatal ones and fatalities for Douglas County for 2008 and/or the last 12 months?This seems like an especially deadly year.

dolphins4321 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I am really confused! I just read the article 3 times and can't find anywhere in it that says anything about alcohol being involved. Why jump to conclusions? Maybe one had a medical condition, there could be many reasons this happened but wait for the full story to come out before making comments and judging.

jeastland 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm Allen's daughter - in - law, married to his oldest son. His family is going through hell. And I'm sure the Harpool family is too. My sympathies go out to you in your loss.If anyone has a way to tell a 3 year old girl that her "papa Allen" is gone, let me know. And a way to comfort her husband, who has already lost a step dad to a fatal car accident. And a way to comfort her mother-in-law, who even though there wan't a marriage certificate, we all knew her as "grandma Pam". And a way to tell her 9 month old boy, that she cries when she looks at him because he looks just like his grandpa. No one family should have to deal with all of this.Thank you to all the posts out there that have remembered those lives lost in a positive way. The family, in time, will like to read those. Right now, things are just too surreal. Trying to make sense of it all, wondering what to do next.My memories of Allen - Him letting me bowl on his team when they needed an extra person, even though he knew my high score was ~60. Him helping our elderly neighbors cut down tree branches after the ice storm. His dimples when he smiled. Him holding the baby at 5:30 in the morning, so I could go back to bed. Him installing a sink for my husbands birthday, and making 4 trips to Home Depot in 1 day to get it right. His Hawaii Jayhawk shirt. The baby quilt he won for us when his first grandchild was born. All the baby and toddler jayhawk clothes over the years. Playing pitch (and agreeing to be on my team, even though I had to write out the instructions every time). The country westerns on TV - all the time. His hugs that didn't end. He loved his family, he would help anyone who needed it, he survived cancer. He was a Dad, a brother, a son, a best-man, a Papa, a husband, an Uncle, a cousin. We will all miss you so much.

Jaylee 6 years, 1 month ago

man, it doesnt even matter if youre driving safe at this point. this is scary for me having to drive my 6 month old on k-10 2-3 days a week to go to grandmas to be babysat.the construction areas of 435 dont even have this many accidents. i dont know what to think.im sorry to all the friends and families though and if there is any resolution that would lead to less happennings such as these, i hope we find it soon.

passionatelibra 6 years, 1 month ago

I still don't see where it says that drinking was involved. 9 out of 10 times KHP says alcohol MAY be involved in any accident in this town. But it doesn't always prove to be true. So many people willing to think the worst.

manderson881 6 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts and prayers to cousin Michael and his family. Allan was always laughing and a jokester who could bring a smile when you needed it most. It has been many years since I last saw him, but I can still see him smiling as clear as if it was yesterday. Please remember how many people Allan touched and take comfort in knowing how many people loved him.

ModSquadGal 6 years, 1 month ago

To the families of both men, I hope you can hold in your hearts all the GOOD things people are saying here. For Allen's family, I am so sorry that this has added to the overwhelming sorrow your family has already suffered, and I hope you will soon find a place where just the good memories remain. As for the rest of it, some is just plain old BS, and some is just what happens when such a tragedy occurs. People are naturally curious as to what happened and how to prevent it from happening to anyone else. If this road is particularly dangerous, then something needs to be done so that the lives of your loved ones will not have been lost in vain, and so that your sorrow and loss does not go unheard. Right now, nobody knows enough to be sure what happened, but hopefully facts will come to light soon. No matter what, I hope those men didn't know what happened. Regardless of what the circumstances were in this accident, or the others, people need to SLOW DOWN, get OFF their cell phones, and PAY ATTENTION!

rockchalkjayhawk4life 6 years, 1 month ago

I worked with Allen, and I am in shock... To his family members, I am sooo sorry for all of you, he was the best friend anyone could ask for. Barb, We love you and if you need anything, we are here for you.Allen will be missed...God Bless you

appletreeandku 6 years, 1 month ago

Any detailed info on what's going on ? It's hard to imagine what had happed.

RCrist 6 years, 1 month ago

I too am Allen's cousin, although I haven't seen him in a while we stayed in contact through email. I know like everyone else he will be greatly missed. I couldn't believe it when I found out what happened. I have plenty of wonderful memories of Allen and that will keep him alive in my heart. To all of my family, God bless you and I love you.

markespen 6 years, 1 month ago

Mike and Julie:Our prayers go out to you and your family. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.Mark & Lisa (Sacramento, CA)