Archive for Thursday, October 23, 2008

Young T fan

October 23, 2008

To the editor:

I am a 14-year-old eighth-grader at Central Junior High. I think the T bus should be kept in Lawrence because that is how I get around. I take the bus to the skateboard park, the indoor pool and crosstown friends' houses. There is no way I would be able to do those things without the bus because both of my parents have to work during the day.

It is most likely that I will not be able to get a car at the age of 16 so I will still be using the bus then. The bus is good for the environment as well. If people use the bus to travel as opposed to driving their own cars, we don't spend as much money on gas and we will not pollute the environment as much.

Many people ride the bus to get to work on a day-to-day basis, I have noticed, and if the bus gets removed, then what are they supposed to do? If the T bus gets removed, I will also not be able to get to the skate park; where else would I skate? The Lawrence bus has to stay.

Johannes Reiber,
Lawrence

Comments

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 6 months ago

who is "they" to find the old bus routes? Those routes were for a city that was a square with Iowa on the west and Haskell on the east and 23rd south and 6th to the north. People walked four or five blocks to catch a bus. No now one wants to walk but have the bus come to their front door.Rumor is that KU will run the only bus system in town if the T vote fails. Well, KU did have a monied system some years ago, enough that the dude running it could embezzle some 1/3 of a million dollars.How much you think could be embezzled from the T operation as it exists now?I appreciate the kid writing the letter about riding the bus. He had an english assignment out of this. good for him. How much would he and/or his parents be willing to pay for him to ride the bus?

workinghard 5 years, 6 months ago

Boy, and the theaters I remember were downtown, the Granada and I believe, the Varsity. The skating rink wasn't out by Wal-mart, it was near 23rd and Haskell at what is now a bar. We rode the city bus (yes we had one) to school, we didn't have free school buses as a choice. Believe me they didn't wait on you like the school buses do now. Maybe they need to find the old city bus route maps and work from there.

monkeyhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

"I supported you with my October 22 vote." Too bad he can't support you by putting his money where his mouth is ... elites don't ride the bus. They only want you to.Too bad, merrill, old buddy, looks like my vote nullified yours. All the way down the line, I would imagine.

notajayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says: "Cars cost taxpayers more than public transportation ever will."Cars carry taxpayers more than public transportation ever will. Did you have a point? (Sorry, of course you didn't, forgot who I was talking to.)How many daily car trips are there into, out of, and around Lawrence in a year, merrill? Think it might be a few more than the 400,000 bus rides? Like maybe a hundred times as many, maybe?"One way to help reduce the demands of cars is to improve the more fiscal responsible public transportation system that will provide cars with a fiscally attractive alternative."And you're going to do that how, merrill? Subsidize it 99%? How about mailng it free? It costs more to transport a rider across town on the mT than it costs me to drive to work east of Kansas City. You really need to get a clue, merrill.

Pilgrim 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey, Johannes, or any of the empTy's apologists, how's that math problem working out for you?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

Going from more than 155,000 riders in the first year to more 400,000 rides each year since 2005 is not exactly failure.Cars cost taxpayers more than public transportation ever will.Cars are never happy with any situation and constantly demanding more and more of the taxpayers. One way to help reduce the demands of cars is to improve the more fiscal responsible public transportation system that will provide cars with a fiscally attractive alternative.

none2 5 years, 6 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says:And this kid doesn't seem very lazy. Just because he doesn't want to risk his life skateboarding across town to make you happy.I am done arguing with the close minded individuals that think only of themselves sometimes.-----------------------------------------------Since life is so dangerous out there, maybe you should home school your children. That way you don't even have to worry about them being abducted or robbed waiting for the T. After all Lawrence is such a very dangerous town to be out in at all...The closed mindedness is coming from the pro-T side that feel entitled to a public transportation despite the fact that it has been a failure for the last 8 years.Back on the topic of theaters, you obviously weren't here when we had the discount theater as that theater was south of Kmart -- not the one at 23rd and Iowa.

none2 5 years, 6 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says:Eaglepass, when you were 14, Lawrence wasn't nearly as big as it is now. You didn't have the skate park across town, you didn't have the indoor pool, and I know the movie theatre was at 9th and Iowa, not nearly as far as it is now. When I moved to town 20 years ago, Lawrence didn't have any of the stores west of folks road, and the walmart was at 27th & Iowa (where Sears is now).Get over yourself already.==========================================I moved to Lawrence in 1980, so that would be 28 years ago. Lawrence has filled in a lot, but there WERE places to go on the edges of its current borders -- and I'm not talking weekend farmland getaways. For instance, there was a discount theater near the present day Walmart. I think the garden center has also been in that area for a long time. Likewise, Bed, Bath, and Beyond and those adjacent stores stand where Kmart was once located. Where Best Buy & Home Depot are now, was more of the trailer park. So many people lived that far south back then. (NOTE: The trailer park was greatly reduced to make way for those stores.)As to the west side of town, yes there were business out west. Not many, but it wasn't barren. I believe Clinton Nurseries on 23rd (Clinton) and Wakarusa Rd has been around for a VERY long time. Wakarusa wasn't paved, but nevertheless that road DID exist. Likewise, Clinton Lake hasn't moved since it was built. It is still as far away as it always was for students and residents who wanted to get there. Furthermore, when I first came to KU, personal computers for word processing weren't out yet. There was a farmer's wife who used to type up research papers for college students. I don't know her exact address, but it was just a bit past the Stull Road exit on 40 highway. I managed to get my work to her. I assure you, even if their HAD been a T, it never would have gone that far as the pro-T side would never allow that. The pro-T crowd has a very narrow, self-serving idea as to where the T should go, and whom it should accommodate. The T: Designed by the few, for the few, at the expense of many.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

Excellent points provided by the young writer. This young person is a thinker and should be honored for his efforts. Thank you Johannes Reiber for taking the time. I supported you with my October 22 vote. Hope all works out.

beawolf 5 years, 6 months ago

If only this much energy could be spent on trying to correct a faulty system rather than trying to tear it down. Every community benefits from a well run mass transit system. I lived in a community with a similar situation and the support tax was voted down. 2 years later, a new city government with good transit ideas failed to get the state to commit resources. The answer was " You had your chance". I will vote for the T, and you can bet I'll be at the first city commissioner meeting after the election demanding accountability on the use of that tax.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

And this kid doesn't seem very lazy. Just because he doesn't want to risk his life skateboarding across town to make you happy. I am done arguing with the close minded individuals that think only of themselves sometimes.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

Maybe he was napping during a break. And doesn't some diesel engines use less fuel while running than it takes to start it. Or maybe that is just semis.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

Eaglepass,The putt putt was still there, but there wasn't much out there on 31st st. And it closed shortly after I moved to town. The other cinema was around 23rd and Iowa, not near 31st, which is why it wasn't mentioned. The skating rink was mostly closed when I moved to town. As I said again, get over youself. I remember open swimming at the indoor pool at LHS, but not open to kids to use for recreational use, and certainly not comparable to the nice indoor pool we have now. Traffic was nothing like it is now. This kid is using the T to get out and enjoy the world. I would rather have him use the T than get run over while riding his bike on the busiest streets in town. My kids use the T to get home from school, to the library and to work because I am not home to take them. Heaven forbid you will ever need a service that requires tax dollars. Think about more than yourself for a change.

December 5 years, 6 months ago

I fully support the T its a great service to the community, my family, and my self. Vote for the T.

Eaglepass 5 years, 6 months ago

Matchbox, AHHHHHHHHHH no renters and students do not pay property taxes, therefore they do not pay for the T. This new tax you want folks to votes yes on will. Up until now the T has been funded by property tax funds collected through the county.Also for all you PRO MT folks that are so worried about those nice drives loosing thier jobs,I was just out less then 30 minutes ago and went to the Kwik Shop on 19th and Mass and guess what I saw. One of the Brand new MT buses #744 in the back parking lot running, with no riders on it and get this the DRIVER was asleep.Seeing this is a big slap in tax payers faces. As this gives tax payers like myself no confidence that the T cares or is even whiling to try and save where they can. Such as leaving the diesel hungry buses running when not on route. As well what does this say about the management, that allows drivers to sleep on shift. This is a true sign that the routes are a joke. I sure would like to get paid to sleep at my job!!!!!

FMT6488 5 years, 6 months ago

Right now, I don't HAVE the funds to buy beer, smokes(I don't smoke anyway), lattes, or any other "luxury" item. I do struggle to pay my utility bills, house payment, gas(so I can continue to drive out of town to work),etc. A luxury for me is the possibility of being able to eat out once a month(which hasn't happened for the last three). So go ahead, raise my sales taxes - I'm already looking into moving to the same county my employer resides in, maybe even the same town(which currently HAS higher taxes than Lawrence - but not for long...).

matchbox81 5 years, 6 months ago

Eaglepass (Anonymous) says: "but I think his parents are happy pawning him off on the T rather then having to structure activities, rides and supervison of there 14 year old as parent of years past did...Go ahead nice lady enjoy the T and all the other things you benifit from as a Renter and a NON-tax paying citizen."Both parents are probably working, and are probably happy that their kid can have a chance to be doing something besides staying home and watching TV. I get tired of saying this: Everyone who lives in lawrence, both property owners and renters, students and non-students, residents and internationals', all pay the taxes that support city services, whether they be sales taxes, or property taxes that are passed through as rent.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 6 months ago

foodboy, Let me know if you need a ride. I'll be glad to help. I go out twice a month... shop at checkers, get medication from Walgreens. I need help with the gas. Still voting no.

Eaglepass 5 years, 6 months ago

Mom of three stop looking for a hand out already!!!!Get a scooter, get your kids a paper route to earn some extra $$ and keep your sticky fingers out of my pocket.You say you moved here 20 years ago, how did youget here?, Hitch a ride with a trucker or ho bo it on the union pacific?Lets see K mart, Cinema Twin, Fantasy Land Roller Rink, Putt Putt and a bowling alley, were all where walmart is now. In door pool UMMMM, Yes there was one of those too at LHS. Kids today are very lazy. It is good that the author is out doing things, but I think his parents are happy pawning him off on the T rather then having to structure activities, rides and supervison of there 14 year old as parent of years past did. Go ahead nice lady enjoy the T and all the other things you benifit from as a Renter and a NON-tax paying citizen.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 6 months ago

beobachter: I am amazed that some people are hiding from the real truth.....our Country, State, County and City are in crisis mode. Me too. Enough is enough. .

Phil Minkin 5 years, 6 months ago

xbusguy (Anonymous) says: Johannes: You make a good point. However, as a senior on a fixed income, I must vote NO to any new taxes.I too am a senior on a fixed income, but with no car. I need the T to maintain an independent life, to not be a burden to my friends and to be able to go across town. I do bike and walk, but in bad weather or for long distances I depend on reliable public transportation. Everyone pays taxes for things they may not use, but are important to the community. 25 cents/$100 is a small price to provide an important service for a wide cross section of Lawrence.

beobachter 5 years, 6 months ago

larry, i've never considered myself a moocher. and i have no use for those who refer to themselves as one.

beobachter 5 years, 6 months ago

Amazes me how many people are panicked over a 25 cent per $100 spent tax increase. Try 1 less pack of cigarettes or 1 less latte or 1 less beer a week, You won't notice it and you can help someone else out.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

Eaglepass, when you were 14, Lawrence wasn't nearly as big as it is now. You didn't have the skate park across town, you didn't have the indoor pool, and I know the movie theatre was at 9th and Iowa, not nearly as far as it is now. When I moved to town 20 years ago, Lawrence didn't have any of the stores west of folks road, and the walmart was at 27th & Iowa (where Sears is now). Get over yourself already.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 6 months ago

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 6 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says: Johannes, hope you have already developed a tough skin. You are about to be mercilessly attacked by anti-T people. Most of whom "only think of themselves"._______Yep... like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it Beomoocher!

KansasPerson 5 years, 6 months ago

For crying out loud, all you "when I was your age" folks -- when you were fourteen, Lawrence probably didn't extend beyond Iowa Street!I'd love to see all of you get off your couches and ride your bikes to work every day, yes, and to the store and the movie theater and everywhere else you want to go. This kid is getting out and doing things -- I can't believe you had the nerve to call him lazy and out of shape!

Pilgrim 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey, Johannes, you appear to be a reasonably bright kid, so here's a math problem for you.Let's say one of your buddies wants you to give them a ride across town. And you know that ride is going to cost you $8.50. (The cost of a one-way per rider trip on the empTy.) Now your buddy is only willing to give you $1.50 in exchange for that $8.50 ride across town. (The current fare for that $8.50 trip on the empTy.) So the math problem is, how much money are you going to make in giving your friend that ride across town? And the followup question is, how many times are you going to do that before you start refusing, and tell your friend to find his own way across town instead of expecting you to cough up the difference all the time?

Bowhunter99 5 years, 6 months ago

Larry? Or was it Richard Heckler? either one of them would stoop low enough to do it.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

beawolf - good point. And yes, when I was a kid, we did walk to places, too. But I didn't live in a city the size of Lawrence. The skate park is across town from Central Junior High, right? Do you really want the kid to walk across town, cross several major streets because we were able to walk safely where ever we grew up?

Pilgrim 5 years, 6 months ago

beawolf (Anonymous) says:If you oppose the T in it's current form eliminate the reason for it's failure (the commissioners) and work together to provide a workable mass transit system that will benefit the community.********Before I give the government permission to suck more of my money out of my pocket, I want to know specifically what it's going to do to "fix it."What specific plans are there to make the routes more sensible? What specific plans are there to make the buses more efficient? What specific plans are there to increase the amount of system-generated revenue with a goal of becoming LESS tax dependent? Just what specific improvements are you babbling about?Without specific answers to those specific questions, only fools would give the government permission to impose another tax on its already over-taxed citizens.Vote NO! twice!

Eaglepass 5 years, 6 months ago

H*ll No the MT MUST GO!!!Nice article, BUT I think your living a surreal Life. When I was 14 I rode my bike everywhere, or walked. Sometimes I would get a ride from a friends parent, but back in 1984 when I was 14 the only buses were independence INC. ( old People) and the KU bus which was mainly a campus bus. Besides kids use to love to ride thier bikes everywhere.What is your deal? You must be out of shape, lazy or both!!!!

beawolf 5 years, 6 months ago

Folks, it's not the T, it's the commission members who failed to utilize a valued system to it's best capacity. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. If you oppose the T in it's current form eliminate the reason for it's failure (the commissioners) and work together to provide a workable mass transit system that will benefit the community.

DonQuipunch 5 years, 6 months ago

This just in: The T cured cancer and died for your sins.Vote "No," local paper's agenda notwithstanding.

beobachter 5 years, 6 months ago

the vote often rant tells me you are a compassionate conservative McSame supporter.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 6 months ago

Vote 'NO'Vote early. Vote often.( I am Informed and I approved this post. )

doc1 5 years, 6 months ago

This letter was written by a 35 year old guy named Larry.

beobachter 5 years, 6 months ago

Johannes, hope you have already developed a tough skin. You are about to be mercilessly attacked by anti-T people. Most of whom only think of themselves.

monkeyhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

When I was a kid, there were no buses to take me to my friends houses, the swimming pool, library, bowling alley, etc. We walked everywhere we wanted to go. Coincidentally, there were very few, if any, fat kids in my huge class.While your LTE is nicely composed, you might ask mom and dad some questions:What is real cost of my ride (the part that is "free" to me)?How many cars does it take to produce the pollution of just one bus?Why does it take not only the citizens of Lawrence to pay for your ride, but quite possibly anyone who comes to visit our city?How will the bus operate differently in the future so that it will accommodate the needs of those the system seeks to attract? Has our city commission provided any concrete plan to justify increasing sales tax to pay for a system that has proven to be less than satisfactory?

bmwjhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Get ready to skateboard across town, kid. It'll be good exercise for you.Be sure to wear a helmet!