Archive for Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Emergency crews respond to injury accident on K-10

Just one of many accidents in county

October 22, 2008, 1:27 p.m. Updated October 22, 2008, 5:06 p.m.

Google Map

Kansas Highway 10 and Franklin Road

View Larger Map

City and county emergency crews responded to numerous accidents Wednesday.

A 23-year-old Eskridge woman, Stephanie Rush, was transported Wednesday to Overland Park Regional Medical Center with critical injuries following a vehicle accident on Kansas Highway 10 near Franklin Road.

The transport would normally have been by air ambulance to a Kansas City hospital, but Rush was transported by ground ambulance because of the wet weather.

The accident occurred about 2:30 p.m.

According to a Kansas Highway Patrol accident report, Michael Herbert, 24, was driving a 1998 Mercury Tracer east on K-10. A 1998 Cadillac Catera driven by Rush reportedly failed to yield and attempted to cross the highway at East 1650 Road northbound. The Tracer struck the Cadillac on the side. Teddie McAfee, 35, Garnett, was a passenger in the Cadillac and declined treatment at the scene.

Herbert, of Leawood, was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. He was treated and released. Rush was in fair condition Wednesday.

Another accident occurred on K-10 near East 1750 Road at 12:40 p.m. A 22-year-old Overland Park woman had minor injuries and was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, according to a KHP report. Erum Shah was driving a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee east on the highway in the left lane.

The Jeep hydroplaned, lost control and entered the south ditch and overturned, the report said. Shah was treated and released at LMH.

According to Kim Murphree, Lawrence police spokeswoman, police have responded to nine accidents since 6 a.m.

Five were injury accidents and four were noninjury accidents.

The extent of injuries of the injury accidents was unknown, though none required helicopter evacuation.

Weather has not been reported specifically as a factor in any of Wednesday's accidents; however, from about 6 p.m. Tuesday to 6 p.m. Wednesday, the area received 1.22 inches of rain, said Craig Painter, 6News meteorologist.

The injury accidents:

¢ 7:55 a.m., 3099 Kasold Drive

¢ 8:04 a.m., 2299 Kasold Drive

¢ 9:11 a.m., 1618 W. 23rd St.

¢ 1:15 p.m., 2299 Mass.

The extent of injuries were unknown, though none required helicopter evacuation.

The noninjury accidents:

¢ 8:13 a.m., 2299 Haskell Ave.

¢ 12:02 p.m., 2299 Anderson Road

¢ 12:18 p.m., 399 McDonald Drive

¢ 12:48 p.m., 1299 Haskell Ave.

Weather has not been cited specifically as a factor in any of today's accidents police said this afternoon; however, since about 6 p.m. Tuesday, the area has received .22 inches of rain, said Craig Painter, 6News meteorologist.

Comments

schula 6 years, 6 months ago

Heard it was a mile west of the East Hills Business Park

triplegoddess13 6 years, 6 months ago

a_flock-I'm saying this is how it works for this city and that's how it's printed in the public record police reports.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 6 months ago

Franklin Road connects old K-10 with now K-10. Please, slow down and if you have to use your wipers - turn on your lights!

6 years, 6 months ago

I'm baffled why people don't use their headlamps when it rains. Most states (maybe even this one for all I know) have a law. "Wipers on lights on" and that means headlamps not parking lights or just DRL's I just went out to get my kid and it was pouring down rain. A little more than half the people had their headlamps on. Most likely the same people that drive around with their fog lamps on when it's not foggy...

Raider 6 years, 6 months ago

Why is it that people can't drive in the rain?

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 6 months ago

Cheeseburger-The addresses are correct. They're the official address for the intersection of two streets, i.e. 23rd and Mass or 23rd and Haskell. It stands to reason that accidents would happen in an intersection.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Steve Jacob 6 years, 6 months ago

Just because the signs on K-10 say 70 MPH does not mean you have to drive 70 in the rain.

workinghard 6 years, 6 months ago

2299 Mass.This was at the intersection of 23rd and Mass, second one in a week, same spot it looked like.

eudoramommy 6 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody think maybe its time for people to start being a little more careful when they drive. I know some people are cautious but I have seen some really bad drivers out there lately.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 6 months ago

cheeseburger (Anonymous) says:"Better check those addresses - most city blocks don't go as high as 99. And seven of the eight calls were at locations with 99 being the last two digits in the address? I don't think so! C'mon LJW - even if you were given bogus information, you should have realized this simply can't be!"OK, I'll assume that you don't know anything about address coding for GIS. A segment of street between two intersections of that street, for geo-location purposes, are usually coded 0 to 99, odd numbers indicating one side and even on the other. In most cases, this is how Google or Yahoo are able to get the location close to an address if an improper or invalid address in entered. In fact, there are software routines that normally spread the addresses out evenly along the segment or allow disproportionately more space per address along the segment for the lower addresses due to the fact that the actual addresses along the segment may be limited to lower than number 40 or so. Now you know.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 6 months ago

Just think planners want to dump the trafficway at about this area. Not a good Idea. Take it further east, out of the wetlands to K10 interchange 1057 or don't do it.Yep just what we need .... tons of 18 wheelers on K-10.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 6 months ago

If the address ends in a 99 just round up to the next number and that's the intersection that it was at. It's a stupid numbering system that LJW defends because the 'city' makes it so. And last I knew it is a law in Kansas that if your wipers are on you have to have your headlights on too.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 6 months ago

Now you know why. It's not just a "Lawrence thing".

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 6 months ago

triplegoddess13 (Anonymous) says:"If the address ends in a 99 just round up to the next number and that's the intersection that it was at. It's a stupid numbering system that LJW defends because the 'city' makes it so."Wrong. It is this way for the majority of the US.

Brandi Simpson-Glover 6 years, 6 months ago

compmd 6 years, 6 months ago

I used to like driving on K-10 not that long ago, before all the morons started driving on it. Now its a clogged mess of idiots going 65 in the left lane and nascar hopefuls flying off the road and into oncoming traffic or ditches. I like taking 24-40 or 56 to KC or Johnson County. The road is a little slower, but my chances of getting killed by someone who shouldn't be in the gene pool are significantly reduced.

workinghard 6 years, 6 months ago

" What do they learn in Journalism School"Actually my child is in Journalism School and was told not to use such big words in his writing. They were words any Junior High student should know, so he had to "dumb it down".

mislis80 6 years, 6 months ago

I almost got in a car accident today on the highway. I was driving in the rain towards Kansas City on K-10 and I got to the first part where it goes down to one lane, and there are quite a few signs saying DO NOT PASS. However, someone with a breast cancer pink ribbon on her license plate decided that she was allowed to pass. I was following the car in front of me closely enough to have a safe distance but certainly without any room for someone to cut in. It was obvious that I had no intentions of letting her in, but apparently that didn't bother her because she veered into my lane in the pouring rain and I had to slam on my breaks to avoid a collision.

Puff_Dragon 6 years, 6 months ago

KT-10 sucks. You can't even set you're cruise control anymore due to all the various speeds as some are trying to cut their fuel bills. To you dips {like the Red P T Cruiser} that every morning likes to get right on your bumper. One of these mornings I'm going to smash the brakes to collect on you're insurance 'cause I know I'll have neck injuries. If you don't slow it down .....I will help you slow it down. You drive in the left lane and tail gate and act all 'pushy' but if you were truly a big Dog you'd be driving a real car wouldn't you? Wusss.

amyc 6 years, 6 months ago

The roads had to be pretty slippery, I saw a deer slip and fall while crossing in front of me on 31st street yesterday evening. Skeered us both!