Archive for Sunday, October 5, 2008

Man life-flighted after single-vehicle accident in North Lawrence

Police investigate a single-vehicle accident at Wood Oil Co. gas station, 920 North Second St.

October 5, 2008, 12:01 a.m. Updated October 5, 2008, 5:18 a.m.

A man was taken by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital for emergency treatment following a single-vehicle accident in North Lawrence late Saturday night.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, Jonathan Thompson, 37, Lawrence, was driving a maroon Chevrolet Suburban northbound on North Second Street when his vehicle went airborne and struck the side of the Wood Oil Co. gas station, 920 North Second St., shortly before 11 p.m. He was ejected from the vehicle. Debris from the vehicle was scattered across the gas station parking lot and a number of trees were down in the area near the wrecked SUV.

Northbound traffic was temporarily diverted from North Second Street to North Third Street.

Police were investigating reports that another vehicle may have pulled out in front of the SUV.

A KU Hospital nurse supervisor said Sunday night she could neither confirm nor deny whether the hospital was treating Jonathan Thompson. Lawrence Police had no further details on the accident Sunday.

Single-vehicle accident in North Lawrence

A Lawrence man was life-flighted after a single-vehicle crash in North Lawrence late Saturday night.

Comments

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

Beobachter, it could have been one of those party buses. I'm sure then it might have came from the nudey bar. Rudeb, we all are very sorry for your friend and I know I will say a prayer for him. Some people post blogs on here to piss people off for the joy it gives them, others post blogs just to talk about the facts and nothing personal, and then there are those who generally feel bad and do hope your friend recovers. I hope it helps to know that while you don't like all the comments, there are some people on here who don't even know your friend and wish him the best.

Arana 6 years, 6 months ago

These people are mostly just making observations. SUVs are fairly heavy. I'm certain every person posting here and reading this article hopes your friend's condition improves. I certainly do.

derekhein 6 years, 6 months ago

Nicole,I tried calling Jonathan's phone, hoping that someone from your family would answer. There are lots of his friends that are worried about him. Any condition updates?

asbarkincat 6 years, 6 months ago

It was a party bus that had pulled out in front of him, and this bus DID NOT stop. So theres no people from the bus to interview, which wouldnt have done any good if they had been drinking.

Ian Sotomayor 6 years, 6 months ago

derekhein 6 years, 6 months ago

notwhatyouthink,Whether drugs and/or alcohol were or were not involved, this is a very serious matter. I know Jonathan well. He has a lot of friends in the Lawrence community that are very concerned about him right now. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers instead of attempting to judge his character to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Naptizzle 6 years, 6 months ago

I am just glad more people were not hurt in this accident. i was at the presto up the street when this whole accident happend and even seen the helicopter land across the street at the DMV right after it. The Suv not only hit and uprooted a tree but it also hit woods and put a hole in the side of the building so to do that alone they had to be traveling at a very high speed especially because trees are not easily uprooted. It looked as if someone may have pulled out woods and then the driver swerved hard to the right to miss them at that speed they could have easily lost control otherwise i dont see how this accident could have happened seeing the location of everything that was hit from the road. Everyone keep the man in this accident in your prayers hopefully he will have a full and quick recovery from this tragic accident.

classclown 6 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately there is an abundance of news stories like this between the months of August and May.

shannanturner1 6 years, 6 months ago

Rudebwai79 Hi I have to tell you that I am praying for your friend to recover. I understand about the bloggin on here, I had a tradgedy on June 12 when I lost my house in a fire, we lost everything we had, we were so blessed to be out of the house at the time. I waited and waited to see teh blogs ceise. they didnt until I finaly went on here and posted my business so people would leave me alone. I am very sorry for your friends accident, keep faith and God will bring him home. Shannan.

Quigly 6 years, 6 months ago

Anonymous userfamilyman (Anonymous) says:"All you bloggers make me sick. You use this as some kind of lesson or as a chance to put your two cents in. This guy was real, he is my friend. Have some shred of decency and respect the man. Maybe he was at fault and maybe not but we all make mistakes and hopefully when yours catch up with you, there won't be some jerk blogging in talking about shame shame!! I hope my friend John comes out of this!" Well Familyman, I hope your friend is ok. BUT WHY DOES NO ONE WEAR A SEAT BELT THIS IS FRIGGIN 2008 AND IT'S THE LAW FOR A FRIGGIN REASON

somebodynew 6 years, 6 months ago

And to add to Pywacket - Why do you come here to post negative blogs. Talk about not having a life. If this was my friend I would find a more positive way to cope than coming to a site where I know all kinds of people are going to post nonsense (for the most part) and then spend the time to B***ch about it.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

yes,it appears he'd be better off today if he'd been wearing his seatbelt! however, assumptions that he: was drunk; was speeding; was otherwise driving irresponsibly--are all way too premature. and with him in the hospital it is low and cheap to take these shots, even if turns out one is correct. other possibilities: suburban transmission problem (google that, you'll see a history); accelerator jam; driver failure due to stroke blood sugar or seizure. now, with my information strictly from the paper's account, I have five plausible alternatives to "bad driver" theory. besides, you know SUV's are all out to kill us all.

rcr 6 years, 6 months ago

"Does nobody wonder why the vehicle "went airborn?""What I wondered is how fast do you need to be going to get a vehicle of that size airborne. Hopefully the driver will have a quick and full recovery.

Rudebwai79 6 years, 6 months ago

To every idiot that has nothing to do but blog, and talk trash about someone you dont even know... GET A LIFE!!! This guy is a great friend to me and also to many others.I doubt the people talking trash have friends outside their computer, or fellow blogging trash talking idiots so they wouldnt know to care for a friend even if he did make a mistake. Maybe alcohol was related i dont know, but i do know this, everyone makes mistakes so dont pretend that your all better than everyone else. I pray for my friend and his family. He is great person and does not deserve to crapped on by a bunch blog nerds. This is officially my first blog and now I know why because there are people that talk trash to make themselves feel like they are leading a real life!!

NicoleT 6 years, 6 months ago

Jonathan is my brother, and I wanted to thank the people who have posted hopes of recovery on here. I don't live in KC, and woke up to a phone call that he was in ICU early this morning. My family is at the hospital with him, but I'm too far away to do much of anything right now and it's nice to know that his Lawrence friends (and some strangers) care.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

you're certainly working late Erin. ***God care for the injured person.

SMe 6 years, 6 months ago

Nobody's joking. I want to know how he managed to get that thing airborn. I'm not 100% certain of the exact location but I'm familiar enough with North Lawrence & North Second to not recall any "launch ramps" out there.

CThompson 6 years, 6 months ago

Jonathan is my brother-in-law and just wanted to give his friends an update. He's still in the ICU, but is expected to be moved tomorrow. He's stable. He's alert and asking questions. He doesn't have his phone. The doctors and staff at KU Med Center have been great. Keep praying for him!

hupp 6 years, 6 months ago

I understand how the friends and family of this man feel. This isn't a place to judge! God can do that himself! But I also have an opinion... So.......No I don't agree with drinking and driving, if the guy was either drunk or drinking and driving he made a big mistake and I'm sure that he will be paying for that mistake (thats not a cheap ticket!) I also agree with the people that are complaining about how fast he was going, I honestly think that Lawrence needs more police over in North Lawrence and on side roads shooting radar! This is getting horrible there is soo many people in a rush to get where ever they are going! My mother always told me that there is no need to speed and rush because seriously how much quicker do you get there when you speed as to going the speed limit! 2 seconds or even 2 minutes?? that's ridicules people! most likely you get pulled over or get in a wreck if speeding. And if everybody just followed the speed limit you wouldn't have this issue! ~GOD PLEASE PROTECT THIS MAN WHILE IN RECOVERY~

KansasGirl82 6 years, 6 months ago

Let's not joke around. I hope the man recovers quickly.

SMe 6 years, 6 months ago

Does nobody wonder why the vehicle "went airborn?"

Robert Rauktis 6 years, 6 months ago

"He was ejected from the vehicle."Why God made seatbelts.

toughangel41 6 years, 6 months ago

I saw a huge bus being pulled over off 6th street as I was going home from work around that time and then I saw the horrible accident on N.2nd as I was leaving Lawrence headed North. I wonder if the Police got the report of the bus as I was going through town? hmm But anyway God bless the family and friends and help them to stay strong and be with them all during this hard time. I sure hope for a speedy recover as well

Luke Paul 6 years, 6 months ago

We can only speculate as to what happened. Jonathan your friends are thinking of you don't forget. We hope to see you back home soon.

J2od 6 years, 6 months ago

Those of you who wish death or harm upon this manPossess the sorts of souls not fit for a garbage can.Let's face facts: mistakes are made by everyone,But perpetuated by the self-righteous onesWho claim to be better, wiser, and not retarded,And in the same instance wish another man dearly departed?!?It's offensive that there are those who floss so pensiveYet are blatantly broken, and insensitive.You're talking about a person with a mind and a pulse,A family, a herd, a whole gaggle of souls.I agree: perhaps a lesson's here to be learned,But there's no sense at all in wishing a man burned,And in the grave, because from there there's no coming back,And although this ain't a means to cut this driver any slack,There's no evidence to suggest that there is any proofThat this Suburban pilot's blood was 40 proof,And when beobachter becomes a woman and giddy getsAs he calls some guy he doesn't even know an idiot,Perhaps he's blindly making judgments, being accusatory,Unaware that he's in need of a suppositoryOf the real, true story: Jonathon was diabeticWith a low supply of insulin; he should be sympatheticAnd not simply assume that everyone in LawrenceDrinks booze and smokes weed in such overwhelming torrents:Funny that that's the first thing beobachter thinks:Could that be that Mr. Beobachter is the one who drinks?Perhaps: but finally, folks, I've one thing to ask ya:Could it be that Mr. Thompson is applying for NASA?I've seen the Challenger and "Apollo 13", right?I've never seen a purple Suburban take flight,And looking at the wreck pictures, I sure hope to HellThat the next time Jonny needs insulin, he's wearing a belt.