Archive for Thursday, October 2, 2008

Woman won’t be charged with aggravated assault

October 2, 2008, 11:54 a.m. Updated October 2, 2008, 3:18 p.m.

Prosecutors said there's insufficient evidence to proceed with charges against a 24-year-old Lawrence woman who was arrested Wednesday for felony aggravated assault and theft.

The woman was booked into Douglas County Jail Wednesday afternoon after a disturbance-with-weapons call in the 2300 block of Ridge Court, law enforcement said.

Lawrence police said the woman entered an apartment and was confronted by a man who lived there. The suspect and victim, both armed with knives, had a short fight when the man told the suspect to leave. Officers responded to the apartment at 1:38 p.m. Wednesday, Sgt. Bill Cory said.

Officers located the suspect in the area and arrested her later that afternoon.

bialekkson 7 years, 1 month ago

Jim Phillips 7 years, 1 month ago

Back on topic, please explain how if she was armed with a knife and there was a fight why she was not charged with aggravated assault and/or aggravated burglary? If she did not display the knife, why is it a factor in the story? Is this more malfeasance of office for Mr. Branson?

bialekkson 7 years, 1 month ago

oh good job.....LPD running around chasing people, arresting them, just to have the judge let them go..Thanks GOD we have judges...Maybe they thought it was somebody from YELLOWHOUSE< HUH......

somebodynew 7 years, 1 month ago

OK, I may be wrong here, but to me it is suspicious that Bielekkson has suddenly appeared with the tone of his posts. Maybe because an Office Bialek was involved in the YH investigation?????A new name for Guy/Carrie/Alex/whoever???? Trying to throw the Feds off????

Jim Phillips 7 years, 1 month ago

somebodynew--Come on, now! You don't really believe the Yellow House gang would actually do anything like that, do you? I mean, after all, they wouldn't violate their court order and continue to post here under a variety of new names! Just look at all of the evidence on their own blog that proves their innocence. I think you're being totally unfair here. I thnk bialekkson is really Chief Olin trying to get these wonderful people in more trouble.

somebodynew 7 years, 1 month ago

Guardian - from the mail I got from Bialekkson I must have hit a nerve. I love it when I get a reaction.

gl0ckUser 7 years, 1 month ago

insufficient evidence ?why would the lawrence police arrest someone with insufficient evidence to show they were doing a crime.... O yea some of the lpd are thugs we need an oversight boardoversight boardoversight boardoversight boardoversight boardoversight boardoversight boardoversight boardoversight board so this doesnt keep happening. You have the LPD arresting people without evidence.( I am referring to the 24 year old )STOP it LPD stop arresting people with out evidence. It makes you look poopy !!Prosecutors said there's insufficient evidence to proceed with charges against a 24-year-old.I am gl0ck0wn3r I just had to make a second account

thomgreen 7 years, 1 month ago

He said/She said? That's all I can guess. Not enough evidence to actually prove she had a knife other than the guy's word.

somebodynew 7 years, 1 month ago

I have to agree with Guardian on this one. The city has a habit of paying off lawsuits. Of course so do most Government agencies. It is much cheaper than fighting it in court. That doesn't mean any wrong doing, just people know about "deep pockets".

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

what, no comment from Azure-Attitude? quick!somebody get her this article...OMG, a woman was carrying a knife, premeditated violence, quite possibly relationship/domestic violence...she thinks women don't do that...only men! ***guardian you are right, sadly, settling out of court is often seen as an admission of guilt, and $6,000 is probably not even the plaintiff's atty fees!

Jim Phillips 7 years, 1 month ago

Smitty--You might try learning a little about how the system works instead of getting all of your exercise by jumping to conclusions. The City of Lawrence, right or wrong, follows the belief it is cheaper to pay off on an insignificant law suit rather than fight it. I would also bet you will find that Mr. McCormick signed off that the officers did nothing wrong. And--how much was he asking for if he only got $6K? Quite a bit, I would bet. If I remember right, it was in the millons. Six grand is chump change.The problem with this "pay it" philosophy is that it allows people like you to rant and rave, cut and paste, and cry foul when you have no idea what you're talking about.But we already knew that.