Archive for Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mayer: KU duo must earn it

October 2, 2008

A couple ex-Kansas basketball players who went astray got off reasonably cheap - if you're rich enough to consider a $20,000 fine cheap. They may think they've escaped the woodshed of public displeasure since they got no NBA suspensions. But the jury is still out for Darrell Arthur and Mario Chalmers with members of a very special fraternity of which they're a part: Former players who are justifiably covetous of the prestige of the program and their school.

I could reel off 10 or so names of Jayhawks who think Darrell and Mario have more dues to pay in the deportment department before they're fully reinstated in the chapter house. Such jurors remain perturbed at what they consider "arrogance" by guys who were wined, dined and celebrated, then got kicked out of an NBA good-behavior camp.

"We who've been fortunate enough to be in the KU program are ambassadors who have an obligation," commented one Jayhawk loyalist with letter-winning pedigree. "These fellows not only got innumerable benefits, but also were lucky enough to play on a national championship team. Then they go out and reflect discredit on KU. They've got fences to mend before they'll be embraced too warmly by some of us."

Privileges, honors, favorable attention and other perks are heaped upon young men in the KU basketball family. They owe that family the best they can muster, ever mindful of their rich heritage.

Loyalty-blind fans who think Jayhawk jocks can do no wrong want us to brush aside the female roomies, possible marijuana indulgence - "just a couple kids making the same mistakes so many others do."

These aren't a couple underprivileged kids. Arthur is age 20-plus and Chalmers is 22-plus. They've been exposed to countless good behavior examples at KU where there's a conscious effort to educate young men about citizenship - what's right, what's not, what pitfalls loom. That old dog "they didn't know better" won't hunt.

These guys apparently felt they had been sufficiently vaccinated with fame to flaunt or ignore the system mere civilians must accept. Repeat the term "arrogance."

Kansas State's loopy Michael Beasley coughed up $50,000 for his role in the Arthur-Chalmers scenario: A classic case of three fools meeting.

Time will pass and this will fade unless the KU-KSU trio gets arrogantly illegal again. The Kansas duo will have ample chances to repair their status. They could work back into the good graces of former Kansas players they represent. KU and its program deserve that.

Assistant Dick Harp told the KU team on that 1955 night it beat K-State while dedicating Allen Fieldhouse: "Few are privileged to wear the colors of Kansas and you are blessed with a special privilege tonight." Arthur and Chalmers also wore those colors under glorious circumstances. Their media pictures in KU attire after the Big Bungle were demeaning. They owe amends to the proud KU people who set the stage.

Paraphrasing Luke 12:48: From those to whom much is given, much is expected.

Much was given to Arthur and Chalmers. Disappointed former KU players who contributed to their success have every right to resent the tarnish of KU's image via the Kiddie Kamp Kaper.

Comments

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 7 months ago

Disgusting article, complete with bigoted, dismissive, condescending and judgemental sentiments by the author with supporting bible quotes to boot, and a tasteless KKK reference at the end. Is the same media attention given to any former KU student who breaks the law? I have a KU degree, if I ever screw up should I prepare for an editorial lambasting by Mr. Mayer I love the "quote" in the 3rd paragraph by our mystery moral judge. Check it out, I can play too: According to one of my sources, who is a journalist of the highest integrity: "People like Bill Mayer bring shame to honest and ethical journalists around the world, who actually try to deliver objective news, and not re-hash old stories in a contemptable attempt to shame some of the greatest athletes in KU's proud, athletic, history"I usually don't get riled up in these discussions, but this article is in such bad taste that it made me throw up a little in my mouth.

QB1976 6 years, 7 months ago

First and foremost these men do not (let me say it again DO NOT)owe Kansas fans anything. They did what the were suppose to do when they came to Kansas. THEY won US(let me say this agian THEY WON)a championship. We are casting stones when we should not. No one was in the room but them. No one knows if they were smoking anything, but we are quick to toss them under the bus and say how stupid they were. I hope no one has done anything stupid in their youth. We grow from mistakes. And for all you fans who want to hold your head down and say these men have brought the Kansas frat's reputation down - GET A LIFE!! I am proud of them and do understand they make mistakes in life. (but i forgot every KU fan is perfect)

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 7 months ago

Anonymous source? You should be better than that, Mayer. This is a tired issue. And is that a subtle KKK reference in the last line? Have you lost your mind?Unless your anonymous source won a national championship during his time at KU, I prefer Arthur and Chalmers over him any day. As a life-long KU fan, I could care less if any of the players smoke weed. In fact, I would encourage getting high over getting drunk any day of the week.

Prairielander 6 years, 7 months ago

All Mario and Darrell did was smoke some weed with a couple of party girls. Wilt claims to have had sex with 20,000 women. Now his jersey hangs in the rafters.

Confrontation 6 years, 7 months ago

Bill really seems to be getting off on this topic. He's not talented enough to find new and interesting topics.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 7 months ago

Whatley's word is gold. Don't disrespect T.J. Stache.

volunteer 6 years, 7 months ago

At least Mr. Mayer is no longer drooling in print and on-line over Sasha.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps KU is also owed an apology from Larry Brown and his skirt chasing. Oh, what about Roy and his famous " I will never leave KU" quote.The point is these two young men were good students and athletes while at KU. What they do after they leave KU does not reflect on KU.Some old guy is just getting his panties in a bunch.

Kent Fisher 6 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Bill. I've been trying to explain this to our loyalty-blind fans on this blog every time our beloved student-athletes appear in the crime blotter. I'm sick of this behavior, and expect more from them...both the student-athlete AND the administration.

Ryan Shelton 6 years, 7 months ago

Just because they won a national championship doesn't mean they get exemptions that other players who came up short don't. They will forever represent KU, and a little humility never hurt anybody. Transplanted in Oklahoma, I have had to defend KU to a group of friends who want the Jayhawks to fall off their high horse. These two "greats" owe everybody who have had to defend KU's honor a big apology. But why do I get the feeling that they learned nothing?