Archive for Tuesday, November 25, 2008

LINK ready to serve turkey dinners on Thanksgiving

November 25, 2008

Attendance numbers on rise for annual dinner

Numbers are on the rise this Thanksgiving season for the L.I.N.K. organization's annual meal. Enlarge video

When economic times are tough, people step forward to help — at least in Lawrence.

There is no shortage of food donations and no shortage of volunteers willing to help with Thursday’s annual Thanksgiving meal at the Lawrence Interdenominational Nutrition Kitchen, organizers said.

“We’re very impressed. It’s like the community is being a big family for a lot of people,” said Herman Leon, vice president of the LINK Board of Directors.

Individuals, church and student groups and other organizations stepped forward to donate and help, Leon said.

LINK is prepared to serve 550 traditional Thanksgiving meals at no cost, including 275 for the homebound elderly and disabled who will have meals delivered to them. Maceli’s, 1031 N.H., is cooking 35 22-pound turkeys which were donated over the past year.

Some 150 volunteers will work two-hour shifts throughout the day doing everything from decorating tables, serving and delivering meals and cleaning up.

“I get turned on by all the calls we’ve had and the amount of interest,” Leon said.

LINK’s kitchen and dining room is located in the basement of the First Christian Church, 221 W. 10th St. It is known most of the year for serving meals to the city’s homeless, but not all of those who show up are homeless, especially on Thanksgiving.

“If you can come in and behave and act like a human being we’re happy to serve you,” Leon said. “We’re not just for the homeless. We try to treat every guest as you would a guest in your home.”

Thanksgiving meals will be served from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. The dining room will open at 11:30 a.m. for people who want to come in an have a cup of coffee, Leon said.

LINK opened to the public on Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14, 1985. Its first meal was served to six people in the basement of St. John’s Catholic Church. It moved to its present location in 1986.

LINK serves meals from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Comments

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

Free food for waka1 the bum. The library needs to take away your computer rights, and then maybe you'll get a job.

redmoonrising 6 years, 1 month ago

I will be eating one of these meals along with my parents and son. None of us are poor or homeless. My parents are both in their upper 80's, my son and I are both disabled. They will be delivered to us. I'm sorry that some of you feel that we don't deserve this. Yes, we could afford to fix our own dinner but none of us is capable of doing so. And we always make a considerable donation. Thank goodness for the kind hearted people in this community who don't judge so harshly but have compassion in their hearts. It isn't just about the homeless.I suppose you think we all should be shot because we have disablilities? I do not sponge off the government to support myself. My parents worked hard all their lives to live their last years in moderate comfort. And my son has been disabled since birth but holds down a job. For God's sake people, quit bitching about the homeless and show some compassion. My guess is that none of you would even think about donating any time or money for this. Would you visit an elderly person who lives alone? Would you invite a lonely person to your house for dinner? Or give 5 minutes to help a neighbor who needs help? Or are you just too busy putting everyone else down?

kateku 6 years, 1 month ago

Ignore them Red! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! I delivered in Lawrence a couple years back for the Thanksgiving dinner and was blessed to meet some very thankful people. I called this year and they organizers say they have all the volunteers they need. I live in Topeka now, after living in Lawrence for 10 years. I am volunteering in Topeka this year hope it goes as well as it always did in Lawrence.Happy Thanksgiving!

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 1 month ago

Wish we had more good people like you around, redmoon. Enjoy your Holiday!

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank You Volunteers !! Many, many folks will be thankful as well. A win-win for a change. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dayle Hodges 6 years, 1 month ago

Happy Thanksgiving to the Redmoonrising family!! Peace to everyone regardless of their attitudes........

Deb Engstrom 6 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to help at the Thanksgiving dinner this year! And we welcome anyone who wants to join in the fellowship, regardless of your situation. Deb

Charlie Sabotage 5 years, 1 month ago

leon gets TURNED ON by the amount of calls? really? wierd phrasing there buddy