Archive for Thursday, November 20, 2008

2,000 homeowners receive property tax bills by mistake

November 20, 2008

About 2,000 homeowners in Douglas County were mistakenly sent property tax bills this week.

Stacy Kurtz, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County Treasurer’s office, said that people who have their home mortgage with Capitol Federal Savings and who normally rely on the bank to pay their property taxes through an escrow account were mistakenly sent a property tax bill.

Capitol Federal also was sent a property tax bill for the properties. Kurtz said that homeowners can ignore the property tax statement, if they are confident their Capitol Federal mortgage pays for the taxes through escrow. If people have any question about whether they are required to pay the bill, they can call the treasurer’s office at 832-5178.

The double mailing was the result of a missed code being entered into the county’s information technology system, Kurtz said.

Property tax statements were mailed out on Monday. Payments are due by Dec. 22. People can pay via mail, at any treasurer’s office, or online at www.douglas-county.com

Comments

Kirk Larson 6 years, 7 months ago

Whew! I was one of the recipients and I was going to call the bank today. Glad I checked the LJW.

ObiWan 6 years, 7 months ago

Toe, the error was made by the county, not by CapFed. I would imagine your issues with this bank are a result of your own failure to manage your finances.

jmadison 6 years, 7 months ago

Let's see 2000 letters multiplied by 42 cents equals $840.00 in postage plus whatever other costs involved in mailing these letters.

old_man 6 years, 7 months ago

Well guess who is footing the bill for this...us the taxpayers!

igby 6 years, 7 months ago

Here's one for you!In May 2003 I got a letter from the KDR stating that I owed $309.00 in state tax penalty for 5 years income tax returns. They were post dated the 15th but the state got them on the 17th and they were claiming they were late on 5 years returns all at once. This is how our state does business since Kathy, our Gov. asked them to get tough on collection in 2003. So, the state consorted to rob people for nickles and dimes. I consulted my tax lawyer which was in Poland, at the time and before I even had time to dispute the claim, the state, filed a lien on my house for $309.00. They did not even notify me of the lien, claiming that they could not serve a PO BOX, but yet they knew where my house was and had no problem lien'en on the location. In August 2003, I did a re-finance of the house. The day before close, Capfeds' closer called and informed me of the lien. We settled it at close even though it was disputed. Capfed, received a satisfaction of judgment from the KDR and never filed it with the District Court and never got the lien released. Douglas County title was paid at closed $15 on the HUD, to file the satisfaction of judgment and they failed to do their duty as well. One year later the lien showed up on my credit file and down graded my credit score by 100 points because the lien did not get released when it should have. I've had to pay for higher interest rates on car loans ever since. The lien stays on your credit file for 7 years. Does any lawyer out there was to sue Douglas County title, Capfed and the State of Kansas for me. Lol. The statue I believe is 42 years. Lol.

igby 6 years, 7 months ago

Here's another one for you on the KDR:Back in 1997, I got a letter from the Kansas Department of REVENUE. It claimed that I owe back taxes and penalty for three years tax returns form improperly filed returns. The Kansas Department of Revenue, claimed that I was married to a women in Salina, Kansas, and should have filed a joint return rather than a married filing single status. I laughed real hard, because I've never been to Salina, Kansas, and nor did I even know this woman that the KDR was claiming that I was married too. I got letters for 1997, 1998 and 1999, from the KDR, claiming my marriage to the women that I've never heard of before. I called them each time and told them they were crazy and that I did not know this women. The letters kept coming several time each year. I had to get real mean with the KDR and force them to confirm these letters with someone higher up in their management to get their computer records changed. After several phone calls it got done. However, their computer mainframe crashed in 2000, and I started getting letters again and again. After several more phone calls, the person at the KDR informed me that the women had moved to Hawaii and was no longer living in Kansas. I've just come to the conclusion that I could be someone's long lost father, but don't tell the KDR. Lol.

compmd 6 years, 7 months ago

igby,you should make sure that woman didn't move to hawaii using a credit card obtained with your name and social security number.

igby 6 years, 7 months ago

compmd: Can't get a credit card because of the tax lien, it degraded my credit for 7 years, thanks to Kathy's tax policy and Capfed's dropping the ball.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 7 months ago

igby, are you sure you aren't doing things in your sleep you may not remember? :) Wow, two interesting stories.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 7 months ago

Just call me Taxed Out, and wanting to move.