An east Lawrence man’s home suffered heavy smoke and water damage after firefighters extinguished an early Wednesday morning fire.
Steven Freeman, 20, left his house, at 1505 Cadet Ave., just in time to escape any injury. He went to get gas around 12:30 a.m. with his beagle, Jim.
A neighbor saw smoke about 12:35 a.m. and called 911, he said. No injuries were reported.
Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical had not release a damage estimate or official cause by Wednesday evening.
Freeman, the home’s only occupant, said an investigator was still there at 5 p.m. Wednesday.
“It’s pretty bad as far as smoke and water damage in the laundry room and kitchen,” he said.
Investigators have told him the fire likely started in the laundry room, which is near the home’s furnace and water heater. The house does not appear to have sustained structural damage, Freeman said.
His insurance agent will likely inspect the house later this week. Freeman, who delivers papers for the Journal-World, in the meantime can stay with his parents.
Firefighters received the call at 12:38 a.m. Wednesday, and they had the blaze under control just before 1 a.m.