Archive for Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No injuries in Cadet Avenue house fire

Firefighters responded to a blaze on the city's east side early Wednesday.

November 19, 2008, 5:17 a.m. Updated November 19, 2008, 5:40 p.m.

No injuries at Cadet Ave. fire

No one was injured in the fire that damaged a home at 1505 Cadet Ave. early Wednesday. Enlarge video

An east Lawrence man’s home suffered heavy smoke and water damage after firefighters extinguished an early Wednesday morning fire.

Steven Freeman, 20, left his house, at 1505 Cadet Ave., just in time to escape any injury. He went to get gas around 12:30 a.m. with his beagle, Jim.

A neighbor saw smoke about 12:35 a.m. and called 911, he said. No injuries were reported.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical had not release a damage estimate or official cause by Wednesday evening.

Freeman, the home’s only occupant, said an investigator was still there at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

“It’s pretty bad as far as smoke and water damage in the laundry room and kitchen,” he said.

Investigators have told him the fire likely started in the laundry room, which is near the home’s furnace and water heater. The house does not appear to have sustained structural damage, Freeman said.

His insurance agent will likely inspect the house later this week. Freeman, who delivers papers for the Journal-World, in the meantime can stay with his parents.

Firefighters received the call at 12:38 a.m. Wednesday, and they had the blaze under control just before 1 a.m.

Comments

triplegoddess13 6 years, 1 month ago

Monday morning? And it only took them until Wednesday to get there? Let's do a little proof reading and editing before we post our story LJW.

redfred 6 years, 1 month ago

Freedman Freeman all the same. Right?

littlevoice 6 years, 1 month ago

Inaccuracies aside, I think what ultimately matters is that Stephen and his dog are safe and unharmed.

Raider 6 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe that no one has commented on the fact that the fire started just 8 minutes after he left the house, and he just 'happened' to take his dog with him this time. Curious.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, Raider, I did think of that, but didn't want to be the first to bring it up. Something to make you go Hhmmm.....

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Granted MD, and that is why there are investigators. But one of the basics is a pet survived in what seemed to be (the way the article was written) that it was unusual for him to take the treasured pet with him. Now that could VERY well be LJW "journalism" at it's best, and I freely admit that. And my comments are just my opinion with nothing to base them on (just as your comments are). It is just a different side of an issue to think about. I don't know anyone involved in this so I am not trying to start anything.Like I said -- that is why there are investigators.