Archive for Friday, November 14, 2008

Bush speech tickets still available today

Only a few tickets remain to see former-President Bush at the Dole Institute of Politics today.

November 14, 2008

There's one last chance to try to score tickets to see President George H.W. Bush speak Sunday in Lawrence.

The Dole Institute of Politics announced to supporters Thursday afternoon that about 50 tickets have been returned to see Bush receive the Dole Leadership Prize at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Lied Center.

The tickets can be picked up in person starting at noon today at the Dole Institute, 2350 Petefish Drive, until the office runs out.

One person will be allowed a maximum of two tickets, and seats may not be together.

The institute staff will not hold or mail the tickets, so don't try to call or send an e-mail. Anyone who is unable to get a ticket can still watch the event on closed-circuit television at 2:45 p.m. Sunday in the institute's Simons Media Room.

During the event, Bill Lacy, director of the Dole Institute, will interview Bush, and audience members will be able to ask questions of the former president.

Comments

logrithmic 5 years, 5 months ago

Here's an interesting tidbit. While reading an MSNBC story yesterday on how they've developed new forensic evidence to prove once more that Oswald was the lone killer of JFK, someone posted a link to this movie on the subject. After laying out a solid case for multiple shooters and conspiracy at the highest levels of government, it examines evidence related to who might have been the chief organizer. Richard Nixon, is looked at. Then Howard Hunt, CIA, and Watergate Plumber is looked at. But finally, the film concludes that yes, George H. W. Bush had to be the chief organizer and is connected to all the major players in the assination and its coverup. (I'm not making this up and had no idea that would be the conclusion before watching the film).Enjoy the 90-minute movie and, after viewing it, you may want to ask the ex-prez himself about some of the findings. Me, I'm going to in front of fireplace warming my heels and sipping a glass of Merlot.http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4315024059102108031&hl=en

buddy2me 5 years, 5 months ago

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

Jim Williamson 5 years, 5 months ago

Maybe they should have some sort of contest and give the tickets as prizes. 1st place would be two tickets, 2nd place would be five, 3rd would be 10...

logrithmic 5 years, 5 months ago

I sure will never trust anyone involved in Intelligence. What a load...Let's see, Iraq WMDs, Iran-Contra, arming Saddam in the eighties, exaggerating the threat from the Soviet Union, exxaggerating the threat from Vietnam (domino theory - ridiculous by today's standards and totally discredited), permitting 9-11, breaking the nation's laws by assinating foreign leaders, formenting coups against democratically elected government, infiltraing news media (domestic and foreign) which is prohibited and against the law, wiretapping all Americans, including military serving in the current war, all illegal, etc. etc.Where do I get my intel? I read. I just dont take the words of rightwing morons or people whose job it is to spin facts. Someone like you, for example.When @ssholes get up in my face, I laugh. I'm laughing now.

Confrontation 5 years, 5 months ago

"Republicans=BadDemocrats=Good"Tom is finally catching on!

almost_one_percent 5 years, 5 months ago

demonfury about logrithmic: "You can't possible be as totally stupid. . ."Oh yes he can.

demonfury 5 years, 5 months ago

OH MY GOD !!! I don't recall the last time I read anything so mentally twisted. Whoever this "logrithmic" character is, you and I need to meet for the purpose of hard learned lessons. You can't possible be as totally stupid and irresponsibly ignorant as your post indicates. I worked for the Government (DOD Intelligence) during Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush. I can tell you with absolute certainty, without breaching security, that everything you said is so far off of reality that it makes me wonder if you read anything else besides the "how can I sell more papers today" media garbage. You need to trust me on this. I was in Panama, there were no 4000 deaths due to American military, no mass burials ordered by GHW Bush. You need to tell me where you get this intel. As for the hostage crisis, I was there also, the weapons were an agreement of terms between President Elect Reagan and Iranian Intelligence for the release. Funny how the release happened the day after Reagans Inaugeration, huh? It was pre-arranged for the sole purpose of hostage release. Quid-Pro-Quo, nothing more. Before you flap your lips on issues you actually know nothing about, you might want to consider that the American media only feeds it's lab rat readers that which it can sell. You want the truth about anything from 1977 - 2007, ask me, those were my 30 years of service to the country that provides your freedom to bash the President. You're and ass, plain and simple.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

I just learned this morning that I am related, in a couple of ways..Should I go introduce myself?

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 5 months ago

I know, what in the world was I thinking. Republicans=BadDemocrats=Good

BigDog 5 years, 5 months ago

Tom, Tom, TomThose things didn't happen ..... it was just a vast right wing conspiracy making up all of those stories about Bill Clinton.

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

Logrithmic only sees through the eyes of a committed leftist radical.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 5 months ago

Didn't Clinton launch a fairly significant war? Why doesn't the left ever talk at length about that? Don't we still have several thousand troops in that area?

logrithmic 5 years, 5 months ago

There is no reason to see this war criminal and pathetic excuse for a president.Besides pondering six individuals on Christmas Eve, 1992, who could've connected him to the Iran Contra affair, a blot on American history where Reagan authorized weapon shipments to Iran (then designated a terrorist nation) to fund terrorists in Central America (Reagan described these terrorists as "freedom fighters" and compared them to the founding fathers), Bush invaded the sovereign country of Panama, killing 4,000 people, to dispose of one of his CIA assets, the then president, Noriega (who resides in an "executive" jail in Florida). The U.S. of course had no right to invade another country to unseat its leader. I'm not defending Noriega, but he was not worth 4,000 lives. Bush instructed the military to dig mass graves and bulldoze bodies into them.BTW, the weapons shipments to Iran were promised by Bush prior to Reagan taking office. Evidence indicates Bush was in Europe promising Iran these weapons if the Iranians would delay release of the hostages until Reagan's election - thus depriving then President Carter of a diplomatic victory. Remember that Bush ran the CIA under President Ford, the president before Carter.Did Bush do anything good? Well during his tenure, he presided over the bailout of the S&L crisis and rescued his son Neil from possible federal prosecution. While the corporate media of today suggests that this bailout only cost the taxpayer $150-$250 billion, the estimates at the time was as much as $1 trillion - paid for by the taxpayer.During the Bush presidency, the U.S. suffered its longest recession since the Great Depression. Scads of jobs were lost in the aerospace industry that had been built up during the Reagan years to build new weapon systems.Bush went to war against Iraq to protect the Emir of Kuwait and restore his trillions of oil revenue. Kuwait was carved out of Iraq by the British and the throne was purely a Western invention. It was later determined that Bush told Saddam to invade Kuwait, possibly to provide an incident that would take the nation's eyes off the unfolding S&L scandal (which it did).After the first Bush, many rightwingers said they would never vote for another Bush. Yet vote they did for George W. Both Bush presidencies are considered two of the worst in U.S. history. To unite the rightwing, one need only say they are against abortion, pro assault guns (even for criminals), for mandatory prayer in schools, and against gays. Such are the factors that compose the rightwing vote. Once in office, a rightwinger can endear himself through tax breaks for the very wealthy and spending to support military wars (they have created) overseas. George W. added gestapo like taxes to domestic police, bringing rightwing repression to the "homeland" for the first time since the 50s. Yeah - we will teach those hippies to shut up!

Bill Griffith 5 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't find in the story how much the Dole Institute would pay or give credit for a future event if the public picks up these tickets.