Archive for Monday, November 10, 2008

Go!

Not the same name: Parents opting for unusual monikers for their kids

Two-year-old Amadeus Marcus III Kaos  is pictured with his father, Chris Feaster, mother, Maggie Beedles, and 1-year-old sister, Gaea Althea Emma Ana Margherita VII Kaos, behind their home north of Lawrence. It is becoming more and more popular for couples to break from tradition when naming their children.

Two-year-old Amadeus Marcus III Kaos is pictured with his father, Chris Feaster, mother, Maggie Beedles, and 1-year-old sister, Gaea Althea Emma Ana Margherita VII Kaos, behind their home north of Lawrence. It is becoming more and more popular for couples to break from tradition when naming their children.

November 10, 2008

Lindsay White and her husband, Cody Simpson, named their baby Saylor, after White's grandfather, who was in fact a sailor.

On the street

Do you know anyone with an unusual name?

I’ve gone to school with a boy named Legend and another named Diamond.

More responses

When choosing what to name their children, Maggie Beedles and husband Chris Feaster went by the books.

They drew from family tradition, Greek mythology, classical music and Midwestern geography.

"We both believe that naming is so important," says Beedles, a Lawrence resident. "You can really come up with a verbal manifestation of the person that's about to unfold when you name your kids. It's an exciting process."

Beedles' first-born is Amadeus Marcus III Kaos. Her second child is Gaea Althea Emma Ana Margherita VII Kaos.

No shock

Lawrence Memorial Hospital staff say they've seen their share of unique names of late - from words spelled backward to never-before-seen spellings.

"It gets to the point that it doesn't shock you anymore," says Denise Martinek, director of maternal child services at LMH. "You just don't bat your eyes as much because everyone is trying to spell their child's name different or come up with a name no one has seen before."

Aiden and Addison were among the top names for newborn boys and girls in Kansas in 2007.

But LMH birth clerk Debbie Ridgway, often the first person to hear the new names, says she's seeing more unique picks. Ridgway says she's witnessed the trend of using last names as first names or taking a name and altering its spelling.

Riley, for example, can also be Rylie, Rilee or Ryleigh.

"My job is very interesting when I meet some of these moms," Ridgway says. "I think people like names like Riley but want to make it their own."

One of those more unique names came last month, when Saylor Joel Leon Simpson was born to parents Lindsay White and Cody Simpson.

White says her baby was born near the birthday of Simpson's grandfather, who had been in the Navy. The only other connection they know of was to Sailor Ripley, the fictional character of the novel and movie "Wild at Heart."

"We loved that movie," White says. "Maybe it was in the back of our heads already when we thought about the name. It just fit."

Kaos theory

As for Beedles and Feaster, they say they've selected the name of Kaos as a family name and theme of sorts.

As for Amadeus, Beedles explains: "His papa is a pianist, and Mozart is our mutual favorite composer. We love the name Amadeus. It means 'love of God,' and we just thought it was beautiful."

Meanwhile, with Gaea, her first and middle names also spell out Gaea.

"In the Greek myth, Gaea and Eros are born of the Kaos," Beedles says. "It means 'goddess of the earth,' so that is where that came from."

(Althea, by the way, comes from Althea Spring in Missouri, a site where the couple honeymooned and the family frequently vacations.)

Beedles says the children embrace their names, just as she and her husband did when they chose them.

"In all aspects of our lives, we chose not to be fearful about deviating from the norm," she says. "Just starting with naming that way is a good way to encourage my kids to be individuals and to recognize their own unique potential and to boldly go where no one has gone before."

It's all in the name

Top 10 boy names in Kansas for 2007:1. Ethan2. Jacob3. Alexander4. Jackson5. Noah6. Logan7. William8. Samuel9. Andrew10. Christopher

Top 10 girl names in Kansas for 2007:1. Addison2. Emma3. Ava4. Madison5. Emily6. Abigail7. Elizabeth8. Olivia9. Isabella10. Sophia- Lists from the Social Security Administration

Ten unusual baby boy names:1. Derex (famous ruler)2. Bryson (grandson of a nobleman)3. Bonner (good citizen)4. Zody (cushion of life)5. Tayten (beautiful happiness)6. Eiden (protector)7. Osgood (goth of the heavens)8. Tilden (fertile valley)9. Hamlin (lover of home)10. Cosmo (harmonious)

Ten unusual baby girl names:1. Kendis (pure)2. Deon (divine queen)3. Caden (fighter)4. Tyronica (goddess of battle)5. Tangia (the angel)6. Vartouhi (beautiful as a rose)7. Aizza (life)8. Amaris (promised by God)9. Nizana (flower bud)10. Totie (gift of God)- Names from www.babynamestop10.com

Comments

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

I have unusual names, but I was named after relatives. My kids don't have unusual names, and not unique spellings, but one has a first name which is not a popular name, another has a middle name after a relative, and isn't a popular name, and the last one has a spelling of the middle name which I liked and isn't a common spelling.

salad 6 years, 2 months ago

These people have some dumb ideas for what makes a cool name. Amadeus??? Gaea??? Geeeeeezzzzz....go back to playing World of Warcraft and eating Funions you kooks.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 2 months ago

Before giving your child a goofy name, imagine what it will look like on top of a resume. Don't give your child a name so unusual or hard to pronounce that an employer will have trouble pronouncing it or - even worse - will have their attention drawn away from your child's attributes.

kidicarus 6 years, 2 months ago

Name your kids what you want. Character is important, and is something STRS completely lacks.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm with STRS - choose a name that is logical in its spelling and doesn't detract from everything else. This also makes it easier on school teachers and friends alike. That said, some names, like Irish ones for example are normal to the family but may be a mouthful for someone else.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, when I named Emma, 10 years ago, she was unique. And 8 years ago, so was Jackson. Simon is 4 now, so I suspect his name will be in the top 10 in 4-6 years. I'm just a trend setter like that.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 2 months ago

Funion? Probably more masculine than female?

monkeyspunk 6 years, 2 months ago

Meh, I have no problem using mythological or historical names for children. I chose a historical figure for my son and a name used by ancestors for my daughter. But, I do have a problem with people going overboard like the Kaos - Feaster - Beedles family up there. Unique is one thing, no problem with that, but having 6 names one of which is actually Roman numeral is just plain stupid as is making up a brand new family name."Beedles says the children embrace their names, "Really, the one and two year old embrace their names? Wow...kind of like they embrace the feeling they have when they fill their diapers?

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 2 months ago

There's always the sadly silly cases cited in Freakonomics (probably elswhere as well): Orange Jello (or-AN-juh-lo) and his brother Lemon Jello (le-MON-juh-lo). Or the crowdpleasing Sh*thead (pronounced shaw-THAYD).

FFAF 6 years, 2 months ago

I actually find this lead story to be so hilarious. The picture is so random and weird. Only a newspaper in Kansas could have this as the lead story. The picture is so funny.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

I have a very simple last name, but people try to make more out of it than they need to, which means it is often mispronounced.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

I have two girls: Kaylynn Jade and Kadence Chase. Guess I'm a fan of the K names!

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 2 months ago

Just giving your child a "tryndee" name does not a "tryndee" child make.Name your kids something easy to pronounce and spell, or a family name. If you want to call them something outlandish, well- that's why there are nicknames. I suggest consulting http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html before you ever name a child. I could rant more, but that website has all my peeves listed out nicely, so just go there and pick a page and you'll get my drift. ;)

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

I like the name Amelia, but hubby wouldn't go for it. I really liked the name Tess, but my family didn't like it.

zzgoeb 6 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, it's such a great idea to give your kids a name NO one can pronounce, and that they can't learn to spell until third grade, and they will get in fights over, not to mention will be misspelled on their documentation, etc, for the rest of their lives! If you have a child, pick a bunch of weird, cool names, and then decide a normal one ok?!

lori 6 years, 2 months ago

Love the story, love the names! The Kaos family photo is hilarious and wonderful! If that were my family, it'd be the family pic in the Christmas cards for sure.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

My name Deja is from an Edgar Rice Burrous (however you spell it) fiction book. Don't remember what it's called but I will never complain about it. I like my name despite the fact that either most people who hear it, spell it wrong or those who read it, say it wrong. And of course there's the all famous, "Deja? Is your middle name Vu?"

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

The most important advice I received about naming a child was this - You need to be able to say his entire name and have it sound good and roll off your tongue, because you may be saying or yelling it a lot.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

Aw heck, I thought I was making it rough on my kids by giving each of the three of them two middle names! Guess that was pretty tame, after all. I say they can name their kids whatever they please, but do remember, the kiddos have to be able to spell it someday!

audvisartist 6 years, 2 months ago

Since we're going with Mozart themed names, I'll name my kid "Magic Flute."

Kookamooka 6 years, 2 months ago

It is tough on the kids. A person's first reaction to their name isn't positive. It's frustrating. The poor kid has to deal with it every single day of his life. Naming kids strange things is like owning vanity plates on your car. It's a reflection of the parent. Blahblahblah: Sorry about the typos'.

Kookamooka 6 years, 2 months ago

I work with kids whose parents use egregious commas and apostrophes in completely inappropriate ways in their names. It's tought to explain the laws of grammer when their names have letters that don't make phonetic sense. One of my favorite kids is Mon'Treveous. I also worked with another child whose name was A.E Yashiwa Brown. So A.E. Yashiwa was his first name and the A.E. didn't stand for anything. It was pronouned EYE-EE-SHEE-WA. It defy's explanation. Names like Saylor aren't unique at all. Try adding a few apostrophes and unnecessary abreviations.

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 2 months ago

My son was named in Irish, Chulainn Padraig. When he started school he became just plain ol' Glen Patrick :P

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok, just because you think this is cool and different doesn't mean your child will feel that way when they are 15 or so.

Puff_Dragon 6 years, 2 months ago

@FFAF, you must be from here if you're reading a Kansas newspaper.

acg 6 years, 2 months ago

We're going thru this right now. Checking in tomorrow a.m. for inducement and we're still arguing about the name. I want to go with Spencer and my hubby likes Dartagnian. I think the 3 musketeers were cool and all, but really? Dartagnian. I should've never told him he could "name the next one" when he let me name my sweet baby Bree three years ago. Paying for it now, let me tell you. He says "well it's either going to be Dartagnian or Mordred, take your pick". Men are weird.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Punkrock, so how do you say the name Amory? Does it sound like its spelled?

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

My name is hard to pronounce, spell, read, etc. and I have never been handicapped by it. If anything it's made me feel special because for so long I felt like the only Deja alive. Yes the Vu comments got old but never hurt my feelings. Besides having people saying, "wow, I love your name." or "I've never met a Deja before" really makes me happy. I had a math teacher call me by my last name for 3 years because he couldn't say my first name. I've been called Daja, Day-SHU, Deejay, Deejuh, Dayjuh, and even Deha but honest if you get that worked up over how people say your name then maybe you should lighten up. It's the person behind the name that matters and luckily for me, I'm freakin' awesome!!

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

my daughter is olivia mae... didnt know it was that popular in 2007. shes a 2008 baby but nonetheless, i thought it was original. shes very sweet and i think her name fits.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

No but she's only 1, give her time. When I tell people her name I say, "you know like drum cadence." or else they'll end up calling her Kaden or Candice

Nikki May 6 years, 2 months ago

Aileen, that's one of my favorite websites!

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

It's great the schools started their anti-bully programs because in the past these kids would've gotten grief from their classmates.I named my kids names that don't rhyme with anything derogatory.When a parent uses the child's full name, that kid knows they're in trouble. "Amadeus Marcus III Kaos eat your vegetables. There are children starving in Kenya." "Gaea Althea Emma Ana Margherita VII Kaos pick up your room." I wonder how these parents feel about discipline.

FFAF 6 years, 2 months ago

Lol, no I just moved here for 2 years of school. I'm so amused.

Danimal 6 years, 2 months ago

If I ever have kids I'm just going to number them. Seriously, give your kid a goofy name because you wish that you had been around for the '60s and fancy yourself as a modern hippie, does not a hippie make you.

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 2 months ago

lesleydiane- Look no further than the Zappa family. The hospital wouldn't permit "Dweezil" so he was given a more mainstream first name. Nobody ever called him that, and when he was of age he legally changed his name to Dweezil.

denak 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't mind unusual names as long as they are phonetically correct. And I agree with those who say that some people (like potential employers) might not take a person seriously if her name is Candy Appleton, or some name they can't pronounce. My last name is spelled one way but pronounced another way and very few people get it right. It is a hassle sometimes.So I do think parents should use some common sense when they are naming their kids.With that said, I think it is cool when parents give their children some old fashion names. I have always liked Amelia and Louisa. Not a lot of those running around but I think those names are classics.Dena

Nikki May 6 years, 2 months ago

See, I like names that are different, but not too far out. My idea of too far out would be different than other people's though. Of course, most people call my son the wrong thing if they even try. Also, he'll never be able to walk into hallmark and buy something with his name on it. It's Amory, in case anyone besides me is interested.Deja, as a drummer, I always liked the name Kadence.

Puff_Dragon 6 years, 2 months ago

@FFAF, then stay tuned...it get's really 'strange' here.

storm 6 years, 2 months ago

I named one child, Puget for Puget Sound, kinda like Bristol for Bristol Bay, and the other one, Beaver after Oregon's State Animal. So my children have lovely names from Oregon, Puget and Beaver. Just kidding.

RachelAnderson 6 years, 2 months ago

I just have to say, that if you really judge someone (like a previous poster said a potential employer might do) on the name their parents gave them, you are a shallow person. It would be like me saying, "I hate all people named -insert a top 10 name here- because they must be boring and lame."Live and let live, seriously!

Strontius 6 years, 2 months ago

Deja might be an unusual name, but everyone should be able to pronounce it, and even if you don't know French, surely everyone is familiar with the phrase "Deja Vu", meaning "already seen". It's more than about pronouncing a name. I have a last name, Stangl, that get mispronounced and misspelled in more ways than you can imagine. My favorites include "Spangle", "Stangle", "Strangl", etc. But it's a name that has been in my family for centuries and is an old German clan name. Surely you can see the difference between the names of these children and your own name. Deja is one name, these children have several, and with a Roman numeral within the name. It's just plain wrong. On a similar note, I realized I have a story to share on this subject:My father, an ER doctor, told me a story about a young woman in Kansas City who had a baby in his hospital. When the nurse delivered her baby to her after it had been cleaned up, she saw the bracelet on her newborn daughter's wrist and assumed that the hospital had named her baby. She liked the name so much, she wrote it down as the baby's official name:Female. She assumed "female" was pronounced "phamallie".So perhaps all these instances are a combination of short sightedness and general stupidity.

Strontius 6 years, 2 months ago

SettingTheRecordStraight has it exactly right. Why would anyone handicap their child with a name that other children, let alone other adults, have difficulty pronouncing? Do you want your children bullied on the playground and have their potential future employers think poorly of them because their name is bizarre? Regardless of whether or not this is just, it's a simple fact of life. And lets be clear on this point. There is a difference between a unique or an uncommon name, and a bizarre name like these children must bare. One look at the parents, and I have to seriously wonder if they weren't smoking pot when they named their kids. Inserting a random Roman numeral into a name seems like something someone would come up with while under the influence of a drug. Maybe I'm being too kind in saying pot, sounds more like mushrooms or crack. Yeah, these kids have a real bright future with a real stable life ahead of them. Why is it that we license people to drive, but allow anyone to have a baby?

blahblahblah 6 years, 2 months ago

Ummm, Kook, I think maybe someone needs to explain the laws of grammar to you (and give you a quick spelling lesson).

skinnee11 6 years, 2 months ago

It was a South American country that recently passed a law that prohibits parents from naming their kids something...well...stupid. Maybe the U.S. should pass such a law? The world (or at least the U.S.) would be a better place.In the matter of the "Kaos" family, I truly don't know who I pity more...the kids or the parents. Either way, no one is the winner in this situation.

M. Lindeman 6 years, 2 months ago

Can we say, that family tree has little or no branches!!!

Jim Williamson 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm willing to bet most of the folks who find this family "adorable" and these names "wonderful" or "unique" don't have kids themselves.These kids are going to get their @sses kicked on a daily basis from the age of 9 on.

Kookamooka 6 years, 2 months ago

and the apostrophe....and anything that might have been mis-capitalized. At least I'm aware of my grammatical flaws and try to fix them.

lesleydiane 6 years, 2 months ago

Multidisciplinary, there are actually a few documented cases of parents being legally forced to change their childrens' names to something more normal. I can't find the news article now, but I know one such was "Bus Station #" something. I can't remember the number.

andrew55 6 years, 2 months ago

Names should stand for ones character and all that he or she does. Parents that saddle their posterity with outlandish names have that right. If you are going to give your child an extraordinary name why not Adolf Hitler or Judas Iscariot. At least they became infamous...and stand for something.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

acg...you are late arent you?? I seem to recall that you were worried you might not make it on halloween! Girl you still havent had that baby yet?? Good luck to you tomorrow and good luck with the name fight!!! and congratulations!

redmorgan 6 years, 2 months ago