Archive for Saturday, November 8, 2008

Crackdown fears lead to gun sales boom

Rachel Smith, 32, of Richmond, looks over shotguns Thursday at the Bob Moates sport shop in Richmond, Va. Smith, the mother of five children and an avid hunter, plans to purchase several guns before President-elect Obama takes office.

November 8, 2008

— When 10-year-old Austin Smith heard Barack Obama had been elected president, he had one question: Does this mean I won't get a new gun for Christmas?

That brought his mother, the camouflage-clad Rachel Smith, to Bob Moates Sports Shop on Thursday, where she was picking out that special 20-gauge shotgun - one of at least five weapons she plans to buy before Obama takes office in January.

Like Smith, gun enthusiasts nationwide are stocking up on firearms out of fears that the combination of an Obama administration and a Democrat-dominated Congress will result in tough new gun laws.

"I think they're going to really try to crack down on guns and make it harder for people to try to purchase them," said Smith, 32, who taught all five of her children - ages 4 to 10 - to shoot because the family relies on game for food.

Last month, as an Obama win looked increasingly inevitable, there were more than 108,000 more background checks for gun purchases than in October 2007, a 15 percent increase. And they were up about 8 percent for the year as of Oct. 26, according to the FBI.

No data was available for gun purchases this week, but gun shops from suburban Virginia to the Rockies report record sales since Tuesday's election.

"They're scared to death of losing their rights," said David Hancock, manager of Bob Moates, where sales have nearly doubled in the past week and are up 15 percent for the year. On Election Day, salespeople were called in on their day off because of the crowd.

Obama has said he respects Americans' Second Amendment right to bear arms, but that he favors "common sense" gun laws. Gun rights advocates interpret that as meaning he'll at least enact curbs on ownership of assault and concealed weapons.

As a U.S. Senator, Obama voted to leave gun-makers and dealers open to lawsuits; and as an Illinois state legislator, he supported a ban on semiautomatic weapons and tighter restrictions on all firearms.

During an October appearance in Ohio, Obama sought to reassure gun owners. "I will not take your shotgun away," he said. "I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away."

Gun advocates take some solace in the current makeup of the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 5-4 this summer to strike down the District of Columbia's 32-year ban on handguns. For now, gun rights supporters hold a narrow edge on the court, but Obama could appoint justices who would swing it the other way.

Franklin Gun Shop outside Nashville, Tenn., sold more than 70 guns on Tuesday, making it the biggest sales day since the shop opened eight years ago. Guns & Gear in Cheyenne, Wyo., also set a one-day sales record on Tuesday, only to break that mark on Wednesday.

Stewart Wallin, owner of Get Some Guns in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray, Utah, said he sold nine assault weapons the day after Obama was elected. That same day, the gun store Cheaper Than Dirt! in Fort Worth, Texas, sold $101,000 worth of merchandise, shattering its single-day sales record, store owner DeWayne Irwin said.

One Georgia gun shop advertised an "Obama sale" on an outdoor sign, but the owner took it down after people complained that the shop appeared to be issuing a call to violence against the country's first black leader.

The president of a Montana gun manufacturer stepped down last month after word that he supported Obama led to calls for a boycott of the company.

While Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, attributes some of the sales boom to the tanking economy, he thinks the Democratic sweep is the top reason why guns are suddenly a hot commodity.

"I don't think he'll be able to stand up to that anti-Second Amendment wing of the Democratic party that's just been spoiling for a chance to ban America's guns," LaPierre said of Obama.

During the campaign, the NRA warned that Obama would be the "most antigun president in American history." And while Vice President-elect Joe Biden owns shotguns, he has supported a ban on assault weapons and has said private sellers at gun shows should be required to perform background checks.

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Some folks will never forgive LGF for breaking Rathergate & helping expose the fauxtography stories from the Middle East.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 5 months ago

Nice to know the crazies are doing what they can to support the economy. I think I'll be looking for other gifts to put under the tree this year.

Mike Blur 5 years, 5 months ago

By the way, the scaremongering tactics by the firearms industry are a brilliant marketing tactic designed to boost sales at a time when the entire retail sector is tight and the holiday season is right around the corner. As someone who has dished out ammunition and accessories as holiday gifts to friends and coworkers in the past, I say bravo to the firearms industry. (But why couldn't they let me know a little beforehand? I have enough scratch to "flip" a few weapons, but the market may have peaked by now!)

Mike Blur 5 years, 5 months ago

BigBuffoon, Castro did not "back" anyone. Another of your typical slimy lies. Since I know you go away when faced with the truth, here are the facts, not parroted regurgitations of McPalin robocalls:-------------------------Havana (Reuters) Cuban's former communist leader Fidel Castro on Tuesday praised Democrat Barack Obama as "more intelligent" than "old, bellicose" Republican John McCain, but said that he was officially neutral in the U.S. presidential election.The ailing Castro, 82, said in a column published in state-run media that neither of the candidates running in Tuesday's election was concerned with the world's most pressing problems as they campaigned to lead what he called "a parasitic and plundering empire."Obama, Castro wrote, is "without doubt more intelligent, cultured and calm than his Republican adversary."McCain, he said, is "old, bellicose, uncultured, not very intelligent and not healthy."

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

When Cuban Americans found out on election day that Fidel Castro backed Obama, gun sales in Florida went through the roof! You see, Fidel ran on change too. When he took power he rounded up everyone's guns, then he got really nasty.But it's okay, the Press have declared Obama another FDR or Abe Lincoln. He is already a great president and he hasn't even been sworn in yet.

tonythetiger 5 years, 5 months ago

"Hey Joe..." Oh that's Jimi Hendrix. I guess that is off limits isn't it? What stupid references should I have to make then?Slade is a stupid band just like "Risky Business", "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", and "Fraggle Rock" or "History of the World Part 2" or "Meatballs".T.O.B.-Pissa Hut is on the way to Australia, thank you H.S. School counselors and the Adaptive P.E. Staff at L.H.S. Chip Hellduerhman and Marcus and Dylan and Jermaine.Oh, LeRon has a pickel... ain't that great? Did Daphne eat it? Or was it Ronnie that I was souppose to worry so much about and his pickel sandwich?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says: and no common sense or brains"Marion writes:You're just jealous!.

beobachter 5 years, 5 months ago

and no common sense or brains.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, at any rate, that Rachel Smith in the photo is hot; no wonder that girl got five kids!

max1 5 years, 5 months ago

http://www.nyc.gov/html/rwg/html/97a/ccc.html"Perhaps, we should require insurance for handguns. If liability insurance were required to purchase and own a handgun, you better believe that the insurance industry would promulgate a pretty rigorous licensing and purchasing process to control the risk." -Rudolph W. Giuliani"The nutty left doesn't need explanations from anyone on the right." -Tom ShewmonHow's that Giuliani campaign going, right_thinker?

macon47 5 years, 5 months ago

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. (waiting for attack) The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. 1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. 2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Gun control means hitting what you are aiming at.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

The fear is palpable. Guns. Teddy bears for grown men.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 5 months ago

Better get me a few before the libs totally gut the constitution.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, you can always count on Gareth for an Ad Hominem attack!Why?Because Gareth has nothing else to say!

zzgoeb 5 years, 5 months ago

We have been told since, oh, 1950 that "they" will take away "our" guns...yeah, right! As long as people value guns and possessions more than each other, this kind of lunacy will continue. The Founding Fathers meant for each household to have one gun to use in times of invasion, ie, the Minutemen...well we haven't been invaded since the War of 1812! Go home, sit down, and think it over, then DON'T rush out to "stock up" before the Muslim, Terrorist Commie president comes to take our guns!!!

Gareth 5 years, 5 months ago

"Barack Hussein Obama will attempt a gun grab for sure."Yeah, Marion -- because you've been right about everything else....Oh, that's right. You haven't.Sad, sad old man.

Defender 5 years, 5 months ago

"Say what you will, it's a rightperiod. Why does the left banter about it? I have many guns, hardly ever get them out, and I have my CCH and never carryagain, simpleit's a right, no explanations needed. Wanting to protect yourself is a natural human tendency and some take it more seriously than others."Probably one of the few things Tom and I will ever agree on, and that's a good thing."Does anyone else find it scary that a 10-year-old is wondering about his "new" gun? Like he has an "old" gun:that is some responsible parenting."I got my first when I was 10, and have yet to hurt anyone. Never even threatened anyone with my guns. I was TAUGHT the right and responsibility of gun ownership, and learned a lot about restraint because of having the gun. 9 out of 10 friends I went to school with have similar stories, and none of us have ever committed any kind of crime with any kind of weapon, gun or whatever. It is people like you that make up crap to be scared of that scare me, your kind is very dangerous, having never been taught responsibility. You prove this by making up lies to prove your point. That IS irresponsible."Those parents, at least the ones that are still alive, must be soooooooooproud."denak, I often agree with you on a lot of points, but on this I cannot agree with you. See, you just made up the next quote, and you have nothing to back it up whatsoever. "It is obvious that most gun owners aren't responsible not matter how many times they try to say they are."That is a lie, pure and simple. Please do not lie to prove your point, it makes you look, well, kinda crazy. There are millions upon millions of gun owners, yet they don't seem to be shooting the crap out of everyone, or no one would be left by now.

denak 5 years, 5 months ago

In the meantime, there is an 8 year old boy in Arizona who mights be charged with two counts of premediated murder for the shooting death of his father and acquaintance.Thank god, 8 year olds and 10 years olds have access to guns, it sure makes the world a whole lot safer.Those parents, at least the ones that are still alive, must be soooooooooproud.Frankly, I do hope Obama and Congress do put more restrictions on gun ownership. It is obvious that most gun owners aren't responsible not matter how many times they try to say they are.Dena

blahblahblah 5 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone else find it scary that a 10-year-old is wondering about his "new" gun? Like he has an "old" gun...that is some responsible parenting.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 5 months ago

Say what you will, it's a right---period. Why does the left banter about it? I have many guns, hardly ever get them out, and I have my CCH and never carry---again, simple---it's a right, no explanations needed. Wanting to protect yourself is a natural human tendency and some take it more seriously than others. Admittedly, there are honest to god 'gun nuts' and they are into tearing them down and rebuilding them etc etc.......don't ask me why, but everyone has their hobbies. I know a couple of them who almost quite literally can not take their hands off of them---it is a bit odd. I know people who like to go out and fly little airplanes for fun and it's just what they like to do. So what? I thought liberals were tolerant of others choices in life, no?

Defender 5 years, 5 months ago

"Defender, is it your position that change.gov, yesterday, did not have the following text?"No, it is not my position, I didn't go to that site yesterday. I am my own person, I don't try to mimic everything you do, that's why I didn't take ballet classes. I didn't vote for Obama, but I think you scaredy cat, wimpy folks are just laughable. I fully believe in the right to bear arms, you're just too stupid to realize it. I have been an owner since I got my first rifle at age 10, and ALWAYS will be. However, I don't own mine because of some insane paranoia that uneducated and ignorant folks like you carry around.I am amazed at you sissified, chicken little types, just amazed

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 5 months ago

The nutty left doesn't need explanations from anyone on the right. You are exercising a constitutional right---period. Just like the nutty left has been able to exercise freedom of speech and spew their vile rants and hate-filled speech against W and Republicans in general on kos, huffy and moovon 24/7 for the past eight years. I will restate to you firearms enthusiast (who already know this), concentrate on picking up guns that are not traceable to you (not registered---buy/trade guns with friends and family) and buy lots and lots of ammo, since at a minimum, The Chosen One and The Gang of Three are going to tax the living daylights out of guns and ammo.

macon47 5 years, 5 months ago

you said wonder what the reaction would be if McCain had won and black families responded by swarming into the gun shops to load up on assault weapons and ammo?they already stole all they needwhen seconds count, and the police are onlyminutes away, a firearm can come in handy

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

Multi: "Wow bea, I hadn't thought about that since that time. I hope that gets taught in the grade school in history class, like the fallout shelters of teh 60's."Teh 60's?,;-DWhoa... not only are you multidisciplinary... you're transgenerational.( Duck and cover! )

bennyoates 5 years, 5 months ago

Our government and its politicians are far from perfect and should be held to the strictest, most critical accountability.But if these self-appointed, gun brandishing guardians of freedom are the alternative, no thanks.I wonder what the reaction would be if McCain had won and black families responded by swarming into the gun shops to load up on assault weapons and ammo?Yeah, I know. The liberal media would hold the door open for them and supply them with blank checks.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says: These are the same people who stocked up on plastic and duct tape after 9/11. Whatever. It is legal and it is their money, so spend away.---Wow bea, I hadn't thought about that since that time. I hope that gets taught in the grade school in history class, like the fallout shelters of teh 60's.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

"He has bigger fish to fry!"Like that isn't paranoia inducing.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

Defender, is it your position that change.gov, yesterday, did not have the following text?"Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year."Was it not changed to this?"Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school an..."Or are you the official first Obama-flu**er on ljw?

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

Candidate for biggest let-down of a Obama supporter:RogueThrill.Obama was right, he really is a blank screen. If RogueThrill thinks Obama will cut the deficit, expand personal liberty, use "common sense" on banning new guns, and respect the fifth amendment, Obama can do anything, and Lincoln was wrong.You can fool all the people all the time.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

"I hope you don't mind your intimate phone conversations with your wife listened in on."Yeah, there is no paranoia on the left.

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

Because the Federal Government's grew under a Republican president, at an unprecedented level. You know, Republicans (the non-Social conservative, intellectual ones) being known as the small government, fiscally responsible party.The second amendment is sacred, but so are the fourth, fifth and eighth... two amendments which were essentially discarded during the last eight years. In addition, our country now has to pay the interest on an additional 5 trillion dollars of national debt when the current administration inherited a budget surplus.

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 5 months ago

What a scary, doomed, hopeless fantasy land some people live in! List for me below the guns that have been taken away by Democrats since 1959, the year I was born. Well? And even so, any gun owner knows that there are ways around the laws, right? So who cares? Two things are clear to me:1) In these times to see that merchants see a rise in sales and are fueling the fear? By the way, I'm a political moderate, a multiple gun owner. 2) Hate is also a wonderful feeling to stoke. People, for obvious reasons, sit and stew about why the hate our new president. Truth is not a weapon that you can use. If they are proved wrong, they simply move on to another topic. Or lie. Finally, those of you who advocated shooting at the military are beyond hope. Do you have any idea how armed they are versus you? You know, heat-seeking missiles, bunker-buster bombs? Relax. We're still the same people living in the same country. Just like Clinton, expect Obama to move to the center. The majority doesn't like the extreme right but it hates the extreme left. Even so, you'll still hate him.But your guns are safe. He has bigger fish to fry!

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

"I would also like to point out that your "Big Brother" comment is rather ironic given the expansion of the Federal Government in the last 8 years."How is that ironic?

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

I would also like to point out that your "Big Brother" comment is rather ironic given the expansion of the Federal Government in the last 8 years. I hope you don't mind your intimate phone conversations with your wife listened in on.

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

And I would count that the desire to own a fully automatic rifle in Lawrence, Kansas represents an undue amount of paranoia. If you are concerned about home defense you are better off with a Saiga 12 than a 3 round burst AR-15. Of course, you could also be one of those ARFCOM "Last Man on Earth" types who are burying all their guns in cosmoline packed PVC pipes for upcoming weapons ban apocalypse, at which point I would point out that you are hardly rational. Obama isn't even sworn in yet and any magazine which holds more than 10 rounds has already doubled in price. As if the man had enough political capital to push through sweeping gun legislation in a Senate he doesn't have a filibuster proof majority.Get a grip.

beobachter 5 years, 5 months ago

somehow the panic from gun nuts is not unexpected. paranoia has always figured in their mindset. this is same group who needs tin foil hats because of government trackers and black helicopters.

Defender 5 years, 5 months ago

"Tell you what, defender, we'll believe it when we see it on kos, huffpo, or the New York Times."Sorry ma'am, I don't find those to be reliable sources either. They are pretty much as reliable as you are (i.e. completely unreliable).

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't see what you are getting at. I voted for Obama and I own guns. I say pro-gun legislation democrats should not be threatened by any semi-auto rifle (the ones they so often call Assault Rifles) simply because of their looks. A semi-auto AR-15 is really nothing more than a militaristic looking deer rifle and should not be restricted any more than any other hunting rifle.Gun ownership isn't a Republican issue, it's an American issue. You can often find me at 11th and Vermont shooting my Mosquito and I voted for Obama. I am sorry if my other concerns outweigh my desire to have an unrestricted gun market similar to the pre-1986 AWB.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

No, not child proofing, child proof guns. From minitruth:"They support ... making guns in this country childproof."RogueThrill: "owning a semiauto wasr, ar-15, ak-47/74, fnal, or anything else is no threat to anyone as long as the proper qualifications for ownership have been met."It is to Big Brother:"They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."I'd say something like "anyone who thinks America's streets aren't a battlefield has never been to Chicago" but, of course, Obama is from Chicago.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

"Regardless, I refuse to be a one issue voter."I'll admit, I am a single issue voter: My single issue is liberty. It's very amusing that you would make an interesting observation without connecting any dots:"In some ways it is actually inferior to a $75, 75 year old Mosin someone dug up in Poland."Now why in the world were those paranoid freaks burying rifles in Poland in 1933?And once the Obama supporters are caught making the "An AR-15 is the same as a deer rifle" argument, the so called "gun enthusiast" RogueThrill begins to look like a Obama plant to us Poles.

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, child proofing guns is kind of weird. "Real" gun owners understand that guns should be secured and locked away from children. They also understand that youth gun education does not involve letting an 8 year old shooting a full auto mini-Uzi at a gun show.But removing gun rights to protect children instead of prosecuting negligent parents is certainly not the way to go. I have no problem banning civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons. They have no everyday utility outside of having a good time at the range and wasting a lot of money on ammo. On the the other hand, owning a semiauto WASR, AR-15, AK-47/74, FNAL, or anything else is no threat to anyone as long as the proper qualifications for ownership have been met.

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

And, I must admit, the Democratic members of our government (who I voted for) need to figure out that a semi-auto AR-15 may look scary, but it's no different in utility than some generic .308 deer rifle. In some ways it is actually inferior to a $75, 75 year old Mosin someone dug up in Poland.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

"I trust that future restrictions will actually be "common sense" "hmmm, where do you draw the line on "child proof guns" in common sense land?

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

I am a gun enthusiast that voted for Obama. I trust that future restrictions will actually be "common sense" and not as dumb as the previous AWB.Regardless, I refuse to be a one issue voter. I will not vote for a candidate that is pro-choice but abhorrent in other areas. I will not vote for an anti-war candidate that will ruin the economy. In turn, I will not vote for the inferior candidate so I can keep my AR-15. I love my AR-15 and it's a lot of fun, but other things are much more important.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

Tell you what, defender, we'll believe it when we see it on kos, huffpo, or the New York Times.Bwahahahaha!

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

There was something false in the blog post?

Defender 5 years, 5 months ago

gdsacco, get off of the 'little green footballs', your ignorant bias just makes you a little more stupid every day. Next time you want to prove a point, use a reliable source. Oh wait, you're a liar, so you use the resources of a liar. Makes sense now.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

You see, Barack Hussein Obama must do the gun grab as he cannot institutionalise Marxism without it.The upcoming gun grab may well herald the Second American Revolution and the only real question is going to be this:"Will American troops fire on American citizens?"I will be very happy to give them my guns...bullets first.

gdsacco 5 years, 5 months ago

Change!http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy/ As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.Quick, look at it before it changes, like this part of change.gov:http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31851_Obama_Quietly_Revokes_His_Plan_for_a_Draft

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

I barely have enough money to pay the rent, and taxes. Wake up GM.... you are selling the wrong things.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

The Constitution is a obstacle to be overcome by the O'dude in order to correct its fundamental flaws.http://wizbangblog.com/content/2008/10/27/more-obama-audio-constitution-reflects-fundamental-flaw.php

oldvet 5 years, 5 months ago

The only reason you have 1st Amendment rights is because you have 2nd Amendment rights... take away the 2nd and the rest will crumble...

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

All of the information about the gun control intentions of Barack Hussein Obama was readily available before the election, it's just that both he and his supporters lied about it.All anyone had to do was look up his comments on the matter.I even posted many of The Chosen One's past statements on this forum and was told that I was full of it.Barack Hussein Obama will attempt a gun grab for sure.You who wanted Barack Hussein Obama as president have gotten what you paid for!

bondmen 5 years, 5 months ago

continued:Please tell us if the following positions make you more or less likely to vote for Obama, or does it make no difference to your opinion?More likely Less Likely No difference Not sureObama supported legislation making it Ok to prosecute people who live in cities with gun bans if they use a gun in their own home in self defense. Obama supported legislation to expose the firearms industry to all lawsuits, even if they eventually bankrupt manufacturers. Obama supported legislation that would have banned almost all ammunition used for deer hunting. Obama has stated opposition to Right-to-carry handgun laws. Obama has supported a ban on all semi-automatic firearms. Obama supported increasing the federal excise tax on guns and ammunition by 500%. Obama supported a proposal to prohibit gun sales within five miles of a school or park, a requirement that some say would eliminate almost all gun sales in the U.S. Obama supported a proposal that would have banned single shot and double barreled shotguns. For the last 21 years there has been no political censorship on radio. Some people now would like to limit programming on talk radio. Do you believe that Americans should be able to listen to any program they would like, or do you believe government should be allowed to censor radio programs?All programs should be allowedGovernment should be allowed to censorNot sure/dependsDo you think the government should, or should not be allowed to censor what political opinions are heard on talk radio?Should be allowed to censorShould not be allowed to censorNot sure/depends

bondmen 5 years, 5 months ago

I just completed John Zogby's most recent Interactive Survey and am shocked at some of the questions he asked. Zogby is an Obama supporter and knows Obama's plans. Too bad more voters didn't think instead of emote before their vote!Here are some of the questions:If you knew Barack Obama supported a plan to place a 75% excise tax on the sale of firearms - where a $500 rifle would now cost $875 with tax, would that have made you...More likely to vote for ObamaLess likely to vote for ObamaNo differenceNot sureIf you knew about Barack Obama's support for national legislation that would overturn concealed carry handgun laws in 40 states, would that have made you...More likely to vote for ObamaLess likely to vote for ObamaNo differenceNot sureIf you knew about Barack Obama's support for a tax plan that would raise the top tax rate on individuals to 56% when social security taxes are included, would that have made you...More likely to vote for ObamaLess likely to vote for ObamaNo differenceNot sureIf you knew about Barack Obama's support for a Congressional bill to outlaw workers' rights to a secret ballot in union elections, would that have made you...More likely to vote for ObamaLess likely to vote for ObamaNo differenceNot sureBarack Obama has said that while the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to bear arms, it also permits common-sense gun control, like gun registration, licensing and local gun bans. Others say the Second Amendment does not permit infringements such as gun registration, licensing etc. Do you agree or disagree that Second Amendment permits infringements such as those described by Obama?AgreeDisagreeNot sureDo you agree with Barack Obama's interpretation of the Second Amendment, where gun control is permissible, or do you think the Second Amendment is an absolute individual right that shall not be infringed?Gun control is permissibleSecond Amendment shall not be infringedNot sure/neither

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

These are the same people who stocked up on plastic and duct tape after 9/11. Whatever. It is legal and it is their money, so spend away. Fighting for gun control is an uphill battle in this country. The Supreme Court, backed by the Constitution, of course, supports gun ownership, and the best any liberals could hope for right now is further assault rifle bans. Obama would be politically foolish to attempt to fight a gun-control battle right now when there are so many other things to worry about. And we know, whether you like him or not, Obama is not politically foolish. What are these paranoid folks going to say in four years when Obama hasn't made any moves to take their guns away?

BrianR 5 years, 5 months ago

Guns and biscuits. I told ya so.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

I remember back in the early 90s buying an RPB Mac-10 prototype carbine subgun from Cheaper Than Dirt for a mere $999!Sold it for a lot more a few years later but it would be worth around $15K today!Ouch!And yes; I'm buying everything I can get my hands on; mostly from individuals; I say "Nyah!" to the 4473!

KRITIKOS 5 years, 5 months ago

Worried people ,who worry about thier mental instability resulting in killing people, are the only ones who would consider target practice is for killing people.One does not have to be Freud to see a slip.

tumbilweed 5 years, 5 months ago

Guns are for fearful, worried people, and for killing people, or for target practice, which is practice for killing people.