Archive for Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Boyda loses U.S. House seat to Jenkins

Republican Congresswoman-elect Lynn Jenkins speaks during an election watch party in Topeka. Jenkins unseated Rep. Nancy Boyda, D-Kan.

November 5, 2008

Boyda loses U.S. House seat to Jenkins

Republican Lynn Jenkins unseated Democrat Nancy Boyda in the 2nd District US House race. Enlarge video

What's on voters' minds?

Voters throughout Douglas County share their Election Day thoughts.

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

Reader poll
Which election result are you most pleased about?

or See the results without voting

Reader poll
Which election result are you most disappointed about?

or See the results without voting

Reader poll
In general, were you happy with Tuesday's election results?

or See the results without voting

In one of the few bright spots for Republicans on Tuesday night, Lynn Jenkins defeated U.S. Rep. Nancy Boyda, D-Topeka, for the 2nd Congressional District, which includes west Lawrence.

Jenkins, the state treasurer, was leading Boyda, a first-term representative, 51 percent to 46 percent.

"This is one Kansas farm girl who is ready to make some changes in the way Washington makes its decisions," Jenkins said.

She said that Congress needs to balance the budget and that one of her top priorities would be to make the tax cuts permanent, which are set to expire in 2010 and 2011.

Boyda congratulated Jenkins and wished her "the very best" and called on the nation to come together to meet challenges such as health care and the troubled economy.

She added, "The last two years were a gift and a joy, and nothing that happens tonight can erase one moment of it."

Jenkins praised Boyda for a hard-fought campaign, but the National Republican Congressional Committee immediately sent out a news release critical of Boyda.

"Despite the helping hand she received from the mainstream media, voters ultimately rejected Nancy Boyda because she was disinterested in representing Kansas values," said NRCC press secretary Ken Spain.

Boyda won in the Douglas County portion of the district, 57.6 percent to 39.6 percent, but that wasn't enough. The district also includes Topeka, Manhattan, and much of southeast Kansas.

More than $1 million from outside groups flowed into the race in television ads that blanketed the airwaves.

Boyda won the seat in 2006, defeating Jim Ryun, a five-term Republican incumbent, in the wave that gave Democrats control of Congress.

In a contentious race, Jenkins defeated Ryun in his comeback attempt during the August GOP primary.

Throughout the general election campaign, Boyda and Jenkins traded charges and counter-chargers in debates and a steady stream of campaign ads.

Jenkins said Boyda's vote for a non-binding budget resolution that relied on previously adopted tax cuts to expire was a vote for the largest tax increase in history. Boyda and a non-partisan organization that studied federal budget issues said Jenkins' allegation was false.

Jenkins said her background as a certified public accountant would be helpful during the current economic storm. Boyda, however, questioned Jenkins' competence, alleging Jenkins, as state treasurer, mishandled gas tax disbursements to counties, which shorted many counties, including Douglas County of $340,000. Jenkins has said that a mistake in the disbursement formula was made before she took office, and that it was her staff members who finally detected the problem.

During debates, other differences emerged. Boyda supported an increase in the federal minimum wage, while Jenkins said she would have opposed it. Boyda also voted to increase health care coverage to children from low-income families. At first, Jenkins said she wasn't familiar with the bill, but later she said she would have voted against it.

Comments

Shelley Bock 6 years, 1 month ago

That's just great! Jenkins will be a minority freshman with no experience, no influence, nothing to gain except to show how much she votes against the new administration. Once again, Kansans lose with a Republican win.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 1 month ago

I guess that district must really hate Jim Ryan. Boyda never did push she voted against the bailout TWICE, and she should of. Anyway, Jenkins won statewide elections before, an that hard to beat someone like that. But I have to agree with you also Hepburn.

grimpeur 6 years, 1 month ago

"one of her top priorities would be to make the tax cuts permanent, which are set to expire in 2010 and 2011."FAIL. Guess some people never learn.

JohnBrown 6 years, 1 month ago

I guess Boyda's cautiousness in not endorsing O'Bama may have backfired.

Meatwad 6 years, 1 month ago

It was an uphill battle in that rich neighborhood. Jenkins Republican sound bites and misleading commercials obviously convinced them. Ugh. How completely sad and mind blowing. I hope Nancy comes back.

gccs14r 6 years, 1 month ago

That district is so Gerrymandered I'm surprised Boyda got in to begin with. Districts should be as close to round as possible, within the constraints of geography and population density.

LiberalDude 6 years, 1 month ago

This is bad news. I fear that Jenkins is more conservative than Ryun.

Jake Esau 6 years, 1 month ago

A CPA in congress might be a good thing. Maybe she can explain to the dems that they don't have unlimited cash to spend. Just a thought.

Mixolydian 6 years, 1 month ago

All I know is this country was a far sight better off two years ago before Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid took over congress.. Anything we can do to block them is a plus positive.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 1 month ago

I voted for Obama and am pleased to seehis victory. Clinton was an improvement overReagan and Bush, but I believe Obama willbe the best president of my lifetime. I didnot cast a vote between Boyda and Jenkinsbecause Boyda voted to fund the Iraq warin summer of 2007, the first chance she andothers in the new Democratic majority hadto restrict and force Bush's hand and beginscaling down the misguided war in Iraq. Heneeded a spending bill and the weak-kneedDemocrats acquiesced. That was when I decidednot to support Boyda any further and it was whenpeople started to see that she wasn't going tostand on principle. Democrats who worry aboutseeming too liberal have hurt the party and ournation over the past several decades. Now, hopefully,they will stop being afraid of Reagan's ghost. Whata breath of fresh air the election of Barack Obamahas been.

Bladerunner 6 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations Lynn. I voted for you. Ummm. Could I be ambassador to Eudora? But seriously. The people have spoken and everyone was tire of Boyda's feces.

yankeelady 6 years, 1 month ago

Nancy showed a lot of guts in refusing any outside money or help from the national committee. And, in the end, that's what cost her the election. If Jenkins thinks she can make any difference in the new congress, she is delusional. I just hope in 2 years the voters see exactly what all that money gets them.

redmoonrising 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm just glad all this is over and my phone will stop ringing and my mail box won't be stuffed with countless fliers headed directly for the trash. I've never understood the herd mentality of politics. No one can convince me that only the candidates from one party deserve my vote. People become mindless hoards of D's or R's caught up in the rapture. We've had the presidency and congress filled by members of both parties in all sorts of combinations and there have been good times and bad with all of them. No one party or candidate has that magic touch, no one can solve all our problems, there are no Messiahs in politics. It's just a matter of choice and I have always felt that that choice is mine, not my church's, not my union's, not my family's. And definitely not that of some moron telling me how stupid I am because I don't agree mindlessly with them. Nope, didn't vote for either of these ladies.

sdinges 6 years, 1 month ago

I voted for Jenkins, because I was worried about a Democratic super majority, but I was surprised she won. Boyda just didn't seem that bad, and I started to finally take her seriously after she voted against the bail out.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

Boyda won a Republican district only because Ryan's incompetence had become impossible to deny, even among the vast majority of Republicans who live their lives in denial. Jenkins takes back a Republican seat just as most of the rest of the country has realized what a disaster their policies have been on every single issue. So now she goes off to Washington be completely irrelevant, but for doing little more than occupying the chair, she'll get herself a lifetime pension many times as generous as any of the rest of us will get for a lifetime of work.

hometownhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Yet another nonpartisan political article from LJW (laying on the sarcasm thick there, BTW).

Steve Jacob 6 years, 1 month ago

Guess Boyda already has her job application with Obama's people. OR, she can be Lt. Gov. if Sebelius leaves.

Mixolydian 6 years, 1 month ago

I voted for Jenkins, but the result is a bit shocking, given the tide towards democrats and the fact that Boyda wasn't that particularly objectionable as a representative. Boyda's ads appeared to outnumber Jenkins many times over. For most of the campaign all you heard was Boyda. Jenkins never really ran ads until the final weeks that I saw.I did appreciate Boyda's concern for veterans. I might have voted for her if I wasn't concerned about getting votes to block a Nancy Pelosi house.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Darn, I was SO close on my prediction Monday night:"I also predict that unless every single voter in this country votes for every Democratic candidate, boohoozo will continue to whine incessantly about vote tampering and conspiracy theories."I guess I could have ended it at 'whine incessantly.' Looks like last night's biggest loser (a role hardly unfamiliar to him) is boohoozo. He can't b**ch about racism or anyone 'stealing' an election, so he's reduced to a shell of his former blustery self, complaining about a "completely irrelevant" first term Congresswoman. Poor clownie.

stair_car_hop_on 6 years, 1 month ago

Looks like Jenkins is taking the Palin approach to folksy female politicking. FAIL, for those of us who like to think forward.

frazzled 6 years, 1 month ago

@LiberalDude - I doubt it. It's a moot point in some ways; Jenkins can talk big about being "ready to make some changes in the way Washington makes its decisions," but she'll likely have little influence.@hometownhawk - Are you really accusing the LJW of liberal bias? You've got to be kidding.

lee66049 6 years, 1 month ago

I am pleased Boyda lost. As a first term congress person we did not lose any experience or senior positions. At least Lawrence can look at a do nothing congress with approval ratings lower than President Bush's and say enough is enough. They did nothing about energy, threw 1.2 trillion dollars (including pork), which we did not have, at a economic crisis and now plan to throw an additional 300 billion into the mix. She did not do anything she said she was going to do when she defeated Ryun so its time for a change.

Kaw Pickinton 6 years, 1 month ago

Bladerunner (Anonymous) says:"Ummm. Could I be ambassador to Eudora? But seriously. The people have spoken and everyone was tire of Boyda's feces."With a stupid comment like that you already are the ambassador to Eudora

shockchalk 6 years, 1 month ago

Jenkins win over Boyda is the best news of the day! Boyda was an embarrassment and we are fortunate to be rid of her. Don't worry, Bozo will find plenty to whine about, it's his nature after all.

MyName 6 years, 1 month ago

Boyda's district is only a "Republican" district because it's been gerrymandered all to heck.That being said, I think any race between a moderate Republican and a Moderate Democrat is still a net win for the state of Kansas, no matter who ends up with the seat.

63BC 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, honestly. Rothschild can't give up the ghost. Hey, buddy, your candidate lost. "Jenkins said she wanted to get rid of budget earmarks and signed a pledge not to increase taxes. But Jenkins had promised not to raise taxes when she was a state legislator and then voted for the largest tax increase in Kansas history."Sheesh.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm shocked that Boyda lost.Jenkins is an absolute joke and I have to wonder (an feel sad) for those who voted for her. Her resume is nothing. Why, people........why?

Curtis Lange 6 years, 1 month ago

Woohoo! No more ridiculous mail from Boyda!

jayhawklawrence 6 years, 1 month ago

I was very sad for Nancy Boyda. She seems like such a good person and she was defeated by an avalanche of National Republican party money and false ads in the last week before the election.Money and lies won this election.I will miss you Nancy.

frazzled 6 years, 1 month ago

Boyda was anything but an embarrassment. She was smart, moderate and independent. Now, Jim Ryun was an embarrassment. And Ken Spain has no class.

curlygrrrl 6 years, 1 month ago

Ken Spain and the National Republican Party have no class.

inklines 6 years, 1 month ago

There are people who spend their time whining and complaining about politics or political opinion while waiting for someone else to come along and save them. There are people who don't care. Then there are people who show their citizenship by what they do. They get involved and go to work to find solutions that improve their lives. What will you do? The beauty of this country is that we can openly disagree with our government without sacrificing our ability to live in it, serve it, or our freedom to enjoy it. Our forefathers wisely created this provision knowing that to stimulate knowledge and growth there must be free expression. Is it your intention to destroy this tenet by quashing every "fool" in your path who doesn't agree with you? You may not agree with me. You may hate me. You can call me denigrating names till you are blue in the face and your fingers are worn out from typing, but you can not take away my right to believe the way I choose. What will you learn from me; what will I learn from you today?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

Any member of the minority party, especially when they are way in the minority, and they are freshmen members, are largely irrelevant. But I'm sure she'll get invited to some swell cocktail parties where she can cozy up to some well-heeled lobbyists, just in case she gets re-elected a few more times, which is how long it will be before the Republicans have a chance to regain control of Congress or the presidency.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

"Bozo: What time is your planned protest against George HW Bush on Sunday@ Lied Center? I don't want to miss it."3-4 am. Please join me, jerk.

bwathen 6 years, 1 month ago

Boyda wasn't a true Democrat, she was more of a Republican than Democrat, but not we have a know-nothing Republican CPA that won't do anything in the next 2 years and hopefully will lose her seat in 2 years. She is so far right she is almost left, and doesn't know what the heck she is doing. Good job you Republicans, you just elected someone that can't bring you anything but heartache.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

"I voted for Jenkins, because I was worried about a Democratic super majority, "Yea, as the world sinks into the worst recession in more than 70 years, and global climate change looms over us, governmental gridlock is precisely what we need.

preebo 6 years, 1 month ago

I am willing to bet that soon to be Fmr. Rep. Boyda wishes she would have accepted campaign funds from the DCCC for this campaign. From my observation she was out advertised in her district by a 50% margin. This was the lone Democratic incumbant seat lost last night, so that should be the first indicator of her mistake.

deskboy04 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't care who won...Jim Ryun is gone!

Sparko 6 years, 1 month ago

Pat Roberts. Kansas GOP. Jenkins. Embarrassment for one and all. At least it isn't Alaska crazy. Darned close. Talk about voting against economic interests! I am sure Jenkins and that balanced budget in the middle of a depression will work out for everyone. Hopefully the Repubs leave after the next dust bowl. . .

humble_simpleton 6 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps, but as you may learn from me today, the majority is not always right. In fact our whole countries morality is deterriorating into nothing more than a self righteous liberal pile of fecal matter. Perhaps many people whine and complain, but some do so with a reason. Its easy to tell who is just whining and who actually is trying to de-corrupt our society. Jenkins is the key. Boyda was a hag.

wheatridge 6 years, 1 month ago

Bozo says: So now she goes off to Washington be completely irrelevant.Like who from Kansas is relevant? Great joke, you should write comedy, your wit is so subtle. Maybe you could hook up and write some material for Franken.

wheatridge 6 years, 1 month ago

" . . . and wields a substantial bit of power. "How relevent is a "bit", do eight blue dogs equal a byte of power?This is like open mike night at the comedy shop. Too much! Stop it please my side is hurting.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "Any member of the minority party, especially when they are way in the minority, and they are freshmen members, are largely irrelevant."Well, on the brighter side, after her first term in the legislature, just a couple of years, she'll apparently have the requisite experience to begin a campaign for the presidency. What a country! ;)

sdinges 6 years, 1 month ago

Bozo: "Yea, as the world sinks into the worst recession in more than 70 years, and global climate change looms over us, governmental gridlock is precisely what we need."And a rubber stamp has worked out how well for us? Unless the reigning party is challenged routinely, it passes any old partisan bill that comes down the line. Even a good idea turns into a very bad one when no one takes the time to think it through and work out the problems.Let's face it, if the Democrats had managed to grow backbones and gridlocked our government for the past two years, we'd be better off than we are now. They didn't. They cried and whined and half the time pretended they weren't in power. And you want those people to have a super majority?