Archive for Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Douglas County voter turnout falls below prediction

Lines were out the door Tuesday morning, but by the time the polls were closing, only a few last-minute voters were around.

November 4, 2008

Douglas County voter turnout falls below prediction

It was long lines early - and a steady turnout throughout the day in Douglas County. Enlarge video

What's on voters' minds?

Voters throughout Douglas County share their Election Day thoughts.

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

Reader poll
Which election result are you most pleased about?

or See the results without voting

Reader poll
Which election result are you most disappointed about?

or See the results without voting

Reader poll
In general, were you happy with Tuesday's election results?

or See the results without voting

It wasn't in the high 70s as predicted.

The 62 percent Douglas County turnout in Tuesday's election also lagged behind the 76 percent of registered voters who showed up at the polls for the 2004 presidential election.

But Douglas County election officials said they were still pleased with the more than 51,000 people who went to the polls or cast advance ballots.

"It's still a great turnout," Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew said.

As he looked at the numbers Tuesday night, Shew said some precincts in the western part of Lawrence had 70 percent to 80 percent of voters cast ballots.

But it appeared precincts in central Lawrence around Kansas University had lower turnout - some totaling only 20 to 30 percent. That could be due to the high number of inactive voters who are still on the registration rolls for those areas, particularly students who no longer live here, Shew said.

Carrie Lindsey, president of the League of Women Voters of Lawrence-Douglas County, was happy with the turnout. She was also encouraged by the city sales tax questions for public transit that passed.

"The core community people who live here enthusiastically turned out," she said.

The clerk's office had prepared for a major turnout and even doubled the number of poll workers. They ran two check-in lines at the county's 67 polling sites and had a poll worker designated to handle only provisional ballots.

Things operated smoothly for the most part, Shew said.

The county only ended up with 2,204 provisional ballots compared to more than 3,000 in 2004. Those ballots were cast because there may be some question about the eligibility of a voter. Several voters also had discarded their requested mail-in ballots and went to the polls instead, but they were required to cast provisional ballots.

As long as they can prove they didn't vote twice the provisional ballot should count, Shew said.

The clerk's office will investigate the 2,204 provisional ballots and make recommendations to Douglas County Commissioners, who will canvass the election results at 10 a.m. Monday at the courthouse, 1100 Mass.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

I would bet that if it weren't for the electoral college, which made any vote for Obama irrelevant in Kansas, turnout would likely have been much higher in Lawrence.

Keith 6 years, 1 month ago

I see Barack Derangement Syndrome has started.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

Watch as the scared and racist white boys start to crumble.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

bjfisher,Of course, it's not your America, because your America exists only in your mind. If you want things to turn out your way, congratulation, there're many African countries where dictators like George Bush still rule. Migrate there. This is freedom, and Bush ruled this country for 8 years and destroyed whatever we have left. We need a dream to move on, America is about dream, America is about thinking big and achieving BIG. This is the America I want to live in, where people love each other, where hates won't spread, and people are knowledgeable enough to differentiate the good from the bad.Bush has his lighter side and he's a nice man. It's just his appointed people, like Cheney and Karl Rove that scare the rest of the country. Obama may not be the best president, but I feel that he has the best team. At least, we will not see Karl Rove running around! This is a landslide victory for Obama, and this is good news for America. Because, there's no Red States, there's no Blue States, but there is a United States of America! There's no White, Hispanic, Black, Asian, Native... this is American America! Let's not divide this country anymore, like what the Republicans want this country to be.I believe John Mccain is a good and sincere person. However, you just cannot trust the machine that runs behind him!

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

buddy2me,I never call anyone racist on the blog. I also despise people who call others racists. I hate those who are racists themselves, but call others racists. Again, it's good that we have an African-American president will begin the healing process, it'll not eliminate 100%, just like you cannot eliminate crime. The gap will be larger without Obama.Don't you think that JFK "heals" the "wound" between Protestants and Catholics? Most protestants don't have a problem electing a catholic president now, and are less likely to think that Catholicism may be a barrier? You gotta start somewhere. There are of course some Protestants who think that Catholics are nuts.... we can never stop that. It just gotta start somewhere. Without MLK, we'll go nowhere. Without the more radical Al Sharpton, we will never appreciate the more moderate blacks. WIthout Osama, we'll never appreciate the moderate Muslims.

buddy2me 6 years, 1 month ago

Surely we are not all so stupid to think that Bush was the only one that got us into this big mess. Surely we voting Americans know that if he doesn't have both Houses on his side he can want something all he wants, but if they don't get behind him he can do nothing. Do we forget how the government works? Yes, Obama will have his houses on his side, but it will not take long for the American people to figure out that we just let him have; a free ride to do what ever he wants. And, I hope we all don't look back and say, oh, is that what change really meant. He always talked about change, I just hope that for myself and my kids that that is not all I have left after the end of the month.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

Looking beyond race, don't you all agree that Obama is a man of substance, but the only thing he lacks is experience? Experience ties us down. Mccain is a man of substance and has great amount of experience. The biggest challenge is his ability to bring change, and failure to tell us what he really wants to do.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 1 month ago

The experience factor people talk of about McCain is only Washington experience. He was a non-workable senator who was hated by most who he came in contact with.He was pretty much a do-nothing kind of person. So, this whole experience thing worked in favor of Obama.

KansasPerson 6 years, 1 month ago

"Take your Uncle Tom and his wife Jemima to the Whitehouse, and enjoy, it will be a short four years, because we'll put them out on their shiney azzezz come 2012!"Yes, racism. If you can't recognize it in your own bitter rant, I can't possibly explain it to you. Have a nice life.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

bjfisher says:"I also see, LJWorld removed my beginning/original comment. Why?? It didn't conform to their Liberal leanings.If it was an Anti-Bush comment they would not have removed it. More proof the media is in the tank for the Democratic Liberal Left. Well, I'll just cancel my JW subscription and begin the boycott against the LJWorld and it's advertisers."Right, blame the "liberal" media. All medias are "liberal" except Fox which is "Center". So all of America has turned into Liberal almost overnight... so if people report something that doesn't sound right to the conservative, even if that something is wrong, you call that a "liberal" immediately. Welcome to the new "liberal" America! You're always welcome here, even if we know you're not a "liberal".

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

bjfisher,You know, I thought we should unite and work together on this. Mccain said that yesterday evening, and I admire him for that. Mccain could have been my guy if he didn't fall into the same old Karl Rove's tactics trap, using a phony Joe the Plumber, and Palin's Joe six pack thing. But he restored his reputation yesterday.We got a worst lemon by voting for George Bush. Any lemon is a better lemon. Enjoy the next four years! We know it won't be a smooth ride, but we're not going to say "if you're not on my boat, you're the enemy" kindda thing. You're still welcome to join the boat and make America a better place. I don't mind eating crow in less than 4 years. The media does a great job for exposing things that we have never seen before. The media has made great jokes that we so much enjoy.We really have to thanks Joe Six Pack and Joe the Plumber for creating those jokes. It's a great nation, and I think we should have more Obama jokes. Don't you think so?

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

bjfisher,You don't have to be very specific when key people in this country endorse Obama. We all know who he wants to have, of course, just like any phony Republicans, they will do anything just to make sure the other side looks bad. Of course, Obama hasn't chosen anyone. So you use that as an "attack" against me. However, unless one isn't that smart or one refuses to recognize it, it isn't difficult to see the potential list of people he will pick... just take a look at those who endorse him. Take a look at who're on his campaign, who speak for him, whatsoever.Now, I've answered your question. You should answer mine. So what's Mccain's plan? I have not heard about any plans since I switch on my TV to watch Mccain/Palin's campaign, and trust me, I do give sufficient time to both candidates, but oh boy, I still don't know what Mccain/Palin wanted to do, other than asking me to question about Obama's past. Do you ever question about your spouse's past?

buddy2me 6 years, 1 month ago

lingstone--i don't care about who is or isn't being racist, but for confrontation to blog on this website and call a bunch of people racist, that he doesn't know is pure stupidity! I know there is a lot of racism out there, but I hate to tell you, having a African-American President isn't going to stop that totally. Again, what color am I? Do we know what color everyone on this blog is, I don't think so, and I'm sick and tired of people throwing the word racism out there like it meant nothing.

buddy2me 6 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation, why do you assume that everyone on here talking against Obama is a racist white boy. Until you know for sure who we all are, you are just as bad, a racist, sexist dumb**s.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

gop,For your record, the percentages of vote the losing side won since..:2004: 48.3%2000: 48.4% (actually won the popular vote)1996: 40.71%1992: 37.7% (but the winner got 43% only)1988: 45.6% (Republicans call that a landslide)1984: 40.6% (Reagan was extremely popular!)1980: 41% (Carter was a disaster!)1976: 48%1972: 37.5% (Nixon was impeached)1968: 1% difference1964: 38.5%1960: Kennedy won by only 0.1%.Given the fact that Obama is half African-American, and he may have lost some Hillary's Democrats, that is a big win. If Hillary was running, the gap may be larger.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

buddy2me,Believe it or not, racism still lives among many white voters, but the sad thing is they don't even know that it's racism. If you watch Fox News, you can see racism but I can honestly tell you, those guys don't even know it's racism. It was like Hannity questioned Al Sharpton why he supported Bill Clinton when Bill was associated with some racists. Bill can call Al Sharpton the N word but everyone knows he's not a racist, but Hannity can imply the N-word without mentioning it, he is still a racist.Of course, BET is also as racist as Fox News. But we need an African-American president to eliminate race-division in this country. Remember, Italians were the "outcast" and no Americans would ever elect a catholic until JFK? We need just that!

nowandthen 6 years, 1 month ago

below prediction?is it really that surprising?

dumas 6 years, 1 month ago

My mom voted for Bush on 2004. She regretted it. That happens. Guess we'll have four years to see how we feel, huh?

WilburM 6 years, 1 month ago

Did any of you folks actually listen to McCain and Obama last night? Here were two men, at the end of a grueling race, speaking in gracious, serious, and fundamentally optimistic ways about the United States and the idea of America. This is an extraordinarily difficult time, and Obama needs the help of all Americans, just as McCain would have. And re Obama's team? Here's a guy who ran an almost flawless campaign, and who has thought seriously about the transition and governing -- as well he should have. Right off the bat, Robert Gates at Defense? Lawrence Summers at Treasury? the tough-minded and highly practical Rahm Emanuel as Chief of Staff -- pretty good, and far less ideological than Rumsfeld-Cheney-Rove.Much as most Americans pulled behind GWB after 9/11 (at least for a while), we might give Obama the chance to work through his truly historic victory. There will be plenty of time for criticism and disagreement.