Archive for Monday, November 3, 2008

Dole Institute runs out of tickets for speech by Bush 41

Tickets to see Pres. George W. Bush speak at the Dole Institute of Politics in November were available Monday morning.

November 3, 2008, 1:33 p.m. Updated November 3, 2008, 5:45 p.m.

Tickets to attend former President George H.W. Bush's acceptance of the 2008 Dole Leadership Prize went quickly Monday morning.

The Nov. 16 event at the Lied Center is free, and the 600 to 700 tickets made available to the public Monday morning were gone in less than an hour.

Other tickets were reserved for Kansas University students and the Dole Institute of Politics, officials from the Lied Center said. All of the tickets reserved for students are spoken for.

Kendall Wolf, the first person to receive tickets Monday morning, said he was disappointed that only about 60 people were waiting in line when the box office opened at 11 a.m.

"I think it's a rare chance to see a former president of the United States, so I would expect that the Lied Center will fill up," Wolf said.

But soon after Wolf departed the box office, the tickets were gone.

The Dole Institute is making accommodations so people without tickets can still see the event, said Maggie Mahoney, an administrative specialist at the institute. One possibility is a live broadcast at the Kansas Union.

During the event, Bill Lacy, director of the Dole Institute, will interview Bush and audience members will be able to ask questions of the former president.

Comments

imagold 6 years, 7 months ago

I called for half an hour and got through at 11:30. Then a five minute wait on hold. Was then told the free tickets incurred a $5 shipping/handling fee when reserved over the phone. (Shouldn't that information be included in all of the press releases?) Hadn't read that anywhere, but still cheap considering I didn't have to drive to the Lied Center and they get mailed to my door. I'm looking forward to seeing a former President of the United States.

Rex Russell 6 years, 7 months ago

Bush #1 wasn't that bad. An intelligent man. I actually wouldn't mind hearing him speak about the Intellegence Community in the 70's-80's. His son on the other hand is mo-ron.

Ragingbear 6 years, 7 months ago

In other news, there were only 20 tickets available to start.

eastsideoftown 6 years, 7 months ago

The threat of Bozo and Merrill protesting sure did scare the crowd away.

BenSmith 6 years, 7 months ago

I got there and lined up at about 10:30 and got my tickets right at 11:00 when they opened. Great tickets - ground floor, center, maybe 15 rows back.

ryknow1976 6 years, 7 months ago

I've had conversations with girls at All-Stars that would prove more riviting than what this fool has in store for his fans.

KU_cynic 6 years, 7 months ago

I arrived at the Lied Center at about 11:15, having tried the University Theatre first, where the Dole Institute had said tickets would be available at 11:00 but in fact wasn't scheduled to open until noon.There were only about 25 people in the line when I arrived, but my tickets are already in the balcony section. I suspect that many choice groundfloor tickets were already promised to big donors and KU muckety-mucks. I had given generously to the Dole Institute at its founding, but not since, yet I received no special notice for getting tickets earlier (or better seats). I guess like much that goes on at KU, one must "pay to play".

towanda54 6 years, 7 months ago

toe (Anonymous) says: Is 41 the total number of tickets they had?Are you serious, wasn't he the 41st president?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

The seething and the whining will ascend from the sidewalks up to the clouds.

calvin 6 years, 7 months ago

I tried to call to get tickets at 11:05 and got a recording saying that they were closed. They when I tried again the lines were busy - and they were the rest of the afternoon as I tried many times to call and get tickets.

eastsideoftown 6 years, 7 months ago

I'll bet you that lady senator would give you her tickets KU-cynic. After all, her friends Bozo and Merrill will be outside leading the protest. Probably with Fred Phelps.

frank mcguinness 6 years, 7 months ago

Got there at 11:40 and got balcony tix. I can assure you the majoity of tix are going to the dole backers/political big wigs. I was also advised my seating would be better if I was a student. I clearly remember rying to get tickets to clinton. Ha. I waited for 6 hours only to get the door slammed in my face. Then they announce a venue change and no tickets were needed.

Trobs 6 years, 7 months ago

Classic politician Bush #1. NO NEW TAXESProceeds to raise taxes to their highest level at the time. Ron Paul 08